Utah News: Senator drops alcohol database proposal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thebassoonist, Feb 5, 2009.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The southwest is such a strange area of the country. WTF?

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

True, you best stay away. We still walk around with guns on our hips, a 10 gallon hat on our head and hitch our horse up to the saloon.... Anyone can look around this country and make claims of strangeness. This is just a drop in the bucket. But I wouldn't go into a club and swipe my license, the claim that it would be temporarily kept at the club for law enforcement is a crock. You know they would use that information for something else...

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm all for gun ownership. It's this Puritan/Big Brother stuff I don't get.

5. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

For the record, I don't get it either. We don't have a lot of good choices around here for politicians. Either they pull stuff like this, and make a mockery of the citizens of Utah. Or they pull other stuff from the other end of the spectrum and make a mockery of the citizens of Utah.

Our Governor seems pretty level headed so far though, I do have to admit that.

SLC

6. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

Very true.

Gun ownership is fine... but I'm still a little freaked out that it is legal and acceptable that people can carry guns at my school (University of Utah).

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Phoenix is weird. ;)

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

That is unfortunately accurate for the Phoenix area.

9. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I go to the U of U as well, and I've never been nervous about that. Have you had some experience to lead you to feel that way?

SLC

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I fully expect the government to eventually track every single aspect of my personal life in my lifetime. "John, you've had two drinks and have reached your maximum daily alcohol consumption rate as allowable by law. A car is being dispatched to your current location to take you home immediately. Please check in with your refrigerator to drink the mandatory two glasses of water before going to bed at the mandatory time of 11pm. Thank you." :)

11. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I did not go to U of U - but I went to USU and yes it made me nervous.

I was a very high profile activist on campus for a fairly unpopular group - besides changing my phone number, my locks on my house, having a cell phone in my hand on campus most of the time just incase - I still received threats and vandalism on my car. (By the way all of those actions the police department recommended I do when I was there - as a poor student I would have rather not had to spend money on things like that.)

But the truth of the matter is that if someone wants to kill someone with a gun they are not going to care if guns are allowed on campus or not - they will do it anyway.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Will they make sure my kids go to sleep at the mandatory 8:00 p.m. to make sure I can get in the mandatory 3 hours of TV and the mandatory ordering of at least 3 advertised products? Will there be mandatory video game time as well?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I remember those days! Death threats by phone and such. Such fun! I remember not being able to leave the house for a week after a physical assault one night. That stuff freaks you out for a bit.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What's the point? Breathalyzers indicate a driver's BAC with more accuracy than a list of the consumed drinks ever could.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Absolutely! By then the government will have "voluntary" parental advisors who make certain you are applying government mandated standards of childcare.

As for your TV and video game time, only those shows and games deemed to be non-violent in nature will be permissible for you to play. As the government well knows, *anyone* exposed to such virtual violence automatically becomes a mass killer. :)

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yeah it does... I had a period of time were I nearly failed every class because I was so freaked out I could not sleep. (Matthew Sheppard had just passed away and I received a few threatening letters and phone calls - I even had my car vandalized in a Church parking lot.)

Its not a time I wish to re-live anytime soon thats for sure.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Sweet, I'm tired of having to discipline at bedtime.

That's fine, the only current gen console I own is a Wii... it's all kiddie games anyway.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was speaking out during the Reagan years and the early years of AIDS. THAT was really scary. After Shepard had to be tough too.

19. thebassoonist thread starter macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

That's true, if a murderer has been conceiving the idea and planning (like many school shootings, no doubt). I've taken courses on violence (especially family violence) and there are less murders where there are less ways to get and carry guns (if you'd like statistics, I can look them up -- I'm not certain that this is a causal relationship, though, as countries where firearms are restricted may have more peaceful citizens) perhaps because one would have to think before shooting. The idea of having people, much like myself, carry guns around is a little frightening. I have lost my temper before, gotten frustrated, and not been very, hmmm..., rational? So I could see, especially in an intense academic environment where grades matter, someone losing it.

Have I been in a situation where it has made me nervous? Yes. Is my anxiety around guns irrational, maybe, but perhaps you can respect that I don't like handguns. I can see arguments both ways, though.

Yikes. I have a friend who was an almost openly gay student at BYU. People started to figure it out, and started to harass him. He transferred quickly to the more open U. I'm glad he did it before the LDS church went all out for Prop 8.