Utah prom dress controversy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mtneer, May 3, 2018.

1. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We live in a stupid society where people are waiting to be triggered on a daily basis. It's hard to believe people are popping pills at the rate they are to get through the days. People need to lighten the **** up.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Getting mad about cultural appropriation is one of the dumbest things people do these days. Cultures have always shared things and borrowed from each other. I’m going to guess that the people complaining about it don’t wear their culture’s traditional clothes on a regular basis and instead wear clothes that are based on European and American styles yet no one gets mad at them for cultural appropriation.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I read this morning that people in Asia are not annoyed.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There are always going to be people who are just looking for things to be offended by. I see nothing wrong with the girl wearing that dress. I like the fact that she isn't backing down either.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Oi! I'm not of European decent, yet I have been known to wear an Italian suit now and then. Cultural appropriation!:rolleyes: I'm not Japanese, yet I have been seen doing the dogeza (the begging for your life bowo_O), when I did something that peeved the Missus. Cultural appropriation!:eek:
    Jeezus man, I would be supportive of a foreigner who wants to embrace Old Country culture. As long as they are respectful and not mocking, then it's all good. From the pictures in the article, the girl wears the cheongsam (traditional Chinese dress) well. She should be applauded. Cultural appropriation my derriere.:rolleyes:

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I too think the cultural appropriation idea is vastly overblown and misinterpreted. Correct me if I’m wrong, but reading the Wikipedia page on Cheongsam, it doesn’t seem these dresses have some profound cultural/religious significance- especially as the style only dates back to 1920 worn buy wealthy women. And to call the girl “racist” because of a dress is absurd. I think there is a big difference between appreciating and adopting cultural elements, versus being outright disrespectful. I don’t see how something like a style of dress can exclusive to one group of people.

Outrage and hypersensitivity like this makes me fear for the future. There are far bigger cultural and racial problems in the world to be outraged than nonsense like this.

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Well put.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cultural appropriation is definitely a ridiculous concern. Otherwise I object to KFC in Asia.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think cultural appropriation is a fuzzy grey area, but when I saw the dress and the prom pics, it didn't look like it had much to do with culture, just about a pretty red dress that happened to be of Asian style.

To me, cultural appropriation is more derogatory when it is used to promote a stereotype, there was no such promotion here IMHO.

But what the hell do I know; I'm just a white guy from Canada.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/world/asia/chinese-prom-dress.html

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

They'll have to pry the taco shells out of my cold dead hand. Not to mention the yogurt, pasta, feta cheese, green tea, tofu, "vieja ropa", falafel, shredded beef szechuan style... and the ultimate cultural appropriation known as California Roll... heck I might starve to death if I don't keep on appropriating the cultures of y'all y'all into my own kitchen.

That dress was very fine looking. Perfect for a prom.

When I was very young we lived in Florida since it was closest to Venezuela where my dad was stationed during World War II. There was a picture of me used to be circulated at family reunions... I was dressed in a nappy and dancing to the music of my own making as I shook the maracas my dad had brought home for me when he had snagged some leave time. Cultural appropriation started early for me!

13. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

I’m pretty liberal but cultural appropriation is just one of those vocal minority issues. People just being mad at something deeper and lashing out at inconsequential things.

14. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

OH, please. Rock 'n' roll had a good portion of its roots in rhythm 'n' blues, which started in Afr-Am communities. The R&R term was coined, in part, because the record companies felt that white audiences wouldn't go for "Negro music" called R&B. Go figure.

So, if that ain't cultural appropriation...

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Some would say KFC in Asia is cultural imperialism. Not appropriation. Funny how this charade works.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Cultural appropriation does exist. But not in this case. This was just a young women who fits a dress well. Doesn't seem like a prom dress, but what the hell do I know. :p

Cultural appropriation is usually when people get recognition and praised for partaking in someone else's culture, while the natives of that culture are not acknowledged or disrespected. It's also when a person or business takes from a culture and basically makes money from it, while not crediting and/or respecting the people of the culture. Again, this is just a young women that wore a dress to prom. Nothing to see here.

17. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

That's even sillier than calling the dress wearing racist. Many people change their names to more western/American ones because of harassment and racism. This is especially true of Asian Americans and Latino Americans.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hah, yeah... with junk food in a foreign venue --OK, any new venue-- the so called cultural appropriation just comes down to some "new to local consumer" variant of sugar, fat and salt. Three out of the five basic food groups, what's not to like. (the others are surely caffeine and... pick a local favorite side dish.) Everyone stands on line to try the new place out even while grousing that the newcomer will put the existing junk food places out of business. Never gonna happen in America. We pretend to be gourmets but we are often just over the top gourmands with big eyes and bottomless stomachs. :rolleyes: Does this sound like I complained about a Mickey D's coming to the upper west side of Manhattan in the 70s and threatening all the traditional diners? Yes? Did I go there? Of course I did. "Well I had never had their fries before..." Right. So after I used up that excuse then I just hid the McD takeout bag inside a tote bag in case I encountered another tenant in the lobby as I got home.

19. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Back when I was in Ireland, I was chatting with a local who told me of their vacation once to Thailand. During their trip, they came across an "Irish pub." Basically, a bar that had 4 leaf clovers on the wall and called Irish. He and his wife visited the place, had a drink, and ultimately while chatting with the owner, it came out that they were from Ireland. The owner said they were the first Irish to ever actually visit the pub, and ended up getting a photo with them. Now that photo sits on the wall in the pub.

He and I both found the situation entertaining. No one was offended. But was that blatant cultural appropriation?

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If actual Chinese people aren't offended and are confused about why liberal Americans would be I think you've found the problem.

21. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Many people that love talking about "build that wall!" who'll celebrating this coming Saturday. Now that's cultural appropriation.

22. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Both fringes on the left and the right are easily triggered. It’s pathetic.

23. 0002378 Suspended

LOL, these people need to find some hobbies.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2018 ---
    Exactly !

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I once again have to note that no-one made this a partisan thing until you posted. This has nothing to do with liberals versus conservatives. But by all means, keep showing political bias around a problem that is clearly cultural that one person has taken offense to that everyone else hasn't.

Back on topic, nothing here has been done in a mocking form, which most cultural appropriations are made; for example, Chief Wahoo, Washington R******s, etc. She chose a dress that looks absolutely stunning, and one person took it upon himself to be offended about it and went on a tirade. She never mocked a culture or tried to assume or assimilate herself into that culture or bring that culture into her own.

But yeah.. this is all partisan, because the above poster says that this must be what which "liberal Americans" are offended. :rolleyes:

BL.