Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
I just got an iPhone 4s and I really like the way it looks without a case and I feel like if I am careful I can prevent any damage to my new favorite thing ever. However, in looking around at some cases I saw that some screen protectors offer UV protection for the screen along side the standard scratch and dust shielding. Obviously if I am going to be using my phone outside, I am going to be exposed to UV radiation; there is no "being careful" to avoid that, and I am outside a lot. Just wondering if UV light really has an effect on the iPhone 4s's screen; or did some genius marketeer just made me almost spend $15 on their very thin piece of sticky plastic instead of someone else's very thin piece of sticky plastic?

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I just got an iPhone 4s and I really like the way it looks without a case and I feel like if I am careful I can prevent any damage to my new favorite thing ever. However, in looking around at some cases I saw that some screen protectors offer UV protection for the screen along side the standard scratch and dust shielding. Obviously if I am going to be using my phone outside, I am going to be exposed to UV radiation; there is no "being careful" to avoid that, and I am outside a lot. Just wondering if UV light really has an effect on the iPhone 4s's screen; or did some genius marketeer just made me almost spend $15 on their very thin piece of sticky plastic instead of someone else's very thin piece of sticky plastic?

Yup, that last sentence was basically what happened.

Unless MICRO scratches (ie: tiny tiny scratches only visible in a strong direct source of light) will bother you, I'd pass on screen protectors.

the oleophobic screen is too gorgeous to haze with a anti-glare shield or grease up with a generic clear one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.