V.1 iPhone to 3G iPhone Owners Ratio. Who's Ready to Upgrade this Summer?...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by =MuLti-CeLL=, Feb 19, 2009.

?

Whatcha Got?!

1. Still Rockin My V.1 iPhone Ready to Upgrade Hopefully Soon!

19.3%
  2. I Couldn't Wait or My Original Broke, Now I have 3G, Hope I can Upgrade Hopefully Soon!

26.3%
  3. iPhone 3G is My First iPhone. Anticipating What's Next!

43.9%
  4. I have NO iPhone. Anticipating What's Next!

7.0%
  5. None of the Above. Explanation in Post Please.

3.5%
  1. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

...if a New iPhone is announced, lets say, WWDC.

Ok so this poll was sparked from this thread post initially...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7135453
    I'm curious as well. I know this isn't necessarily going to be even close to an accurate poll overall but atleast we can see who HERE has been holding out from upgrading from a V.1 iPhone and how many upgraded or the 3G was their first iPhone.

And yes I searched for similar polls with no luck since this is from my mobile and the search function isn't working. So just ignore please if you can't think of anything nice to say. Thanks. :D

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I still have my 2G iPhone. I've thought about upgrading for the GPS functionality, but that's not worth 500 dollars(on ebay)

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Every time a new one comes out I will upgrade, regardless of contract.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm more looking forward to any major changes that would come with a 3.0 software update. I'm not seeing any drastic changes to the hardware from the 3G, probably only a slightly better camera and higher storage capacity. I got both the iPhone and iPhone 3G on the first day. Unless there's some huge improvement in the hardware for the next revision I'll actually wait it out this time so I can avoid all the headaches that I experienced being an early adopter the first 2 times.

5. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Wow. Those were quick replies...but without votes?

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I bought the first iPhone around March of 08 or so and bought the 3G as soon as it came out. It wasn't that I couldn't wait for the 3rd iteration or anything, I wasn't even thinking about that. I just wanted the GPS and 3G. Sold the first gen after I bought the 3G and all was well.

If there is an upgrade again in June, I may consider upgrading. I don't believe there will be a subsidy for current 3G owners to upgrade, so there will have to be a big reason for me to drop the loot.

If there actually is a subsidy, the possibility of me upgrading will grow.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Bought a generation 1 iPhone last March and got silly and tried to replace the case in June. I ended up breaking the iPhone (I know.. stupid me), and got a Blackberry Pearl. Then when the 3G came out, I ended up getting it a few weeks after release. Even though I renewed my contract in January '09 (cause Rogers forced me to since I changed ONE thing on my account), I still might get the new iPhone depending on what is introduced. All I care about is the 3.0 software update really.

8. Smog macrumors regular

I got my 1st gen on release day, my 3G on release day, and i plan to do the same every year. If it comes to probalems paying my contract, ill just buy one from eBay or on Pay As You Go here in the UK, and swap out my sim.

Danny

9. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

THAT, my friend, is the question!

What could Apple announce that would make all the current 3G owners wanna buy the new one?

It would almost HAVE to be something HUGE right? Therein lies the excitement of the whole thing or lack there of, hehehe. :p

Some may think there will be nothing THAT great in a new version to make everyone rush out to buy but others tend to think (I fall into the "hope" category) there could be substantial hardware upgrades coming soon.

V.1 holders which follow sites like these and keep up with Apple update cycles will most likely be upgrading in and around June.

I fall into the "do not own an iPhone yet" group, so I'm hoping for something big while trying to maintain low expectations...wait, is that possible? :D

This is fun. Can't wait 'till WWDC. :apple:

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I picked up my 3G (first iPhone) on the day after release and love it. I don't plan to upgrade when the new one comes out, but I am looking forward to the iPhone 3.0 software.

11. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

If they allow current owners to use the 3.0 software, that's another question.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I don't have an iPhone yet... :eek:
    I'll most likely get one depending on the next upgrade or if the subsidized iPhone is true (as long as it's not an iPhone nano).

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Don't worry about that ;)

14. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

They'll be on their death bed if they don't!!!

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Ditto. Call me a fanboy. I think I should be able to get a fair amount back if I unlock and sell my iPhone 3G on ebay...

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

+32431984195347192471974...

Apple will get a major flaming if they don't allow current iPhone and iPod touch users to use the 3.0 software.
    Although, that's a different story if they release two different versions, one made for the new iPhone and one made for the iPhone (3G).

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

I Couldn't Wait or My Original Broke, Now I have 3G, Hope I can Upgrade Hopefully Soon!

18. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Well since they let v1 iPhone owners upgrade 2.0, I'm not going to worry about it. At worst, they'll charge us a nominal ($10, $20) fee, like they did with iPod touch owners.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Of course they will. Apple has made it clear that they plan on making future iterations of iPhone firmware available to all owners. Of course, there may be features that aren't available to old hardware, but I don't believe iPhone 3 is going to be so radical in design that it's firmware will be useless to 3G and first gen iPhones. I imagine it is analogous to computer operating systems. There will come a point where old hardware and architecture no longer support the software, but that has more to do with evolutions in technology than marketing.

20. =MuLti-CeLL= thread starter macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Same here bud. :D

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It all depends on what is new on the next revision. I bought a refurb at $250 about 10 months ago. I really like it, but EDGE seems to be slowing down, not to mention dying in a couple of places. There's a much better chance of me upgrading if AT&T creates tiered data plans. My phone says I have used 410MB. I don't know what the timeframe on that usage is, but 1) I know it's not since the last time I charged it, and 2) it's more than likely at least a month, which means I'm nowhere close to the 5GB "limit."

I'm also not spending money if there isn't a 32GB iPhone at $300. I'm struggling like crazy to fit what I want on my iPhone, and that's without any photos or videos. The doubling in size of iTunes purchases should be enough to pretty much force Apple to release a 32GB iPhone.

22. tlbwriter macrumors regular

I inspired a poll! :D Cool. I think the results are going to be skewed toward early adaptors based on the audience, but still, very interesting.