V.A. Circus

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Where is the forum's Veterans Administration Circus thread?

Obama Let The VA scandal becomes a Political Circus

This could be a case where VA hospitals should be turned over to civilian health corporations. It's just too bad, for issues like this, it becomes politicized, seen as a vehicle to take down the other party instead of fix the problem. Ironically my impression is one of the problems is lack of funding coming from a "we don't want to pay for it" Congress.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
This could be a case where VA hospitals should be turned over to civilian health corporations.
According to the article, almost nobody is in support of privatizing VA hospitals. Thankfully, because the situation would be even worse if the corporations got their greedy sticky fingers on it.

Also, as the article mentions, there will be no rational discussion about this. It's going to go the same route as Benghazi and "death panels". Limbaugh already blamed this whole scandal on "death panels".

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
According to the article, almost nobody is in support of privatizing VA hospitals. Thankfully, because the situation would be even worse if the corporations got their greedy sticky fingers on it.

Also, as the article mentions, there will be no rational discussion about this. It's going to go the same route as Benghazi and "death panels". Limbaugh already blamed this whole scandal on "death panels".
It's hard to accomplish meaningful reforms when an issue is politicized. If you look at the military medical system, many dependents and retirees are all ready using civilian doctors. Think of it as Medicare. I have no issue with VA hospitals that focus on veterans and veterans psychological issues and war related injuries, but it needs good management and adequate funding. Politicians talk up our Vets, but they need to put their money where their mouths are.

Last edited:

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm military retired. My medical is through Humana TriCare. Fortunately, I also have United Healthcare through my work. This keeps me from having to wait in line at a VA Hospital. There is no excuse for the poor care that has been the norm under the VA system.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Where is the forum's Veterans Administration Circus thread?

Obama Let The VA scandal becomes a Political Circus

This could be a case where VA hospitals should be turned over to civilian health corporations. It's just too bad, for issues like this, it becomes politicized, seen as a vehicle to take down the other party instead of fix the problem. Ironically my impression is one of the problems is lack of funding coming from a "we don't want to pay for it" Congress.
http://news.yahoo.com/jon-stewart-rips-obama--many-more-over-reported-va-wait-time-cover-ups-141415718.html;_ylt=A0SO80AyZX9T00cA1AFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExMzRwNWZ0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--?pt=tAD2SCT8P7

Stewart then showed footage of White House chief of staff Denis McDonough, who said that the president is "madder than hell" and that he has "the scars to prove it."

"I'm sure the story of how you got those scars will really impress the guys waiting at the VA for treatment," Stewart scoffed.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/jon-stewart-veterans_n_5377574.html

"On this Memorial Day weekend eve, we can finally admit that America has had for over 200 years a great bipartisan tradition of honoring those who have fought for our freedom by (censored) them over once they give their guns back," Stewart said.
Obama is at the helm so he gets the blame right now.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As an analogy it's like cutting the police budget and then blaming the Police chief when there are not enough cops. Yes, the Administration takes responsibility with the running of the VA, but the GOP shares in this blame regarding delays due to budgetary issues.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ah, blame the Republicans at all costs. When President Obama made his speech in Arizona (Aug 17, 2009) promising to cut wait time at the VA, the Democrats controlled both the House and Senate.
Such a convenient conclusion for your argument. And of course the GOP has been cooperating with the Obama Administration every chance they get when it comes to Veteran affairs. :rolleyes:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Ah, blame the Republicans at all costs. When President Obama made his speech in Arizona (Aug 17, 2009) promising to cut wait time at the VA, the Democrats controlled both the House and Senate.
Obama/Bush/Romney/Palin/Mickey mouse can promise the moon the stars & a Klondike bar, if congress does not move nothing gets done, you are correct pointing out the democrats had control for 2 years with Obama at the helm. their priority was to pass the ACA at the time.

----------

Such a convenient conclusion for your argument. And of course the GOP has been cooperating with the Obama Administration every chance they get when it comes to Veteran affairs. :rolleyes:
democrats controlled both houses for a while.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The truth hurts. The Democrats had the means to fix it but didn't for the reason that jkcerda points out in the quote below.

Obama/Bush/Romney/Palin/Mickey mouse can promise the moon the stars & a Klondike bar, if congress does not move nothing gets done, you are correct pointing out the democrats had control for 2 years with Obama at the helm. their priority was to pass the ACA at the time.

----------

democrats controlled both houses for a while.
The Democrats had both houses for four consecutive years. They've had the Senate for seven years. The Republicans have controlled the House for three years. And you are very right, the ACA was their priority.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The VA consistently receives very high marks for care. The problem isn't the care they receive, it's the waiting to get seen. I blame Congress for continually cutting funding for the VA.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Privatize the VA.

Give all vets a VA only medicaid card, or use Tricare or whatever that can be used at any hospital. Abolish the VA, and turn over the budgets to the highest rated hospitals in the area.

My dad has been wrapped up in the VA drama since Vietnam and his care has been awful.

I don't deal with the VA at all. I refuse.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
as an analogy it's like cutting the police budget and then blaming the police chief when there are not enough cops. Yes, the administration takes responsibility with the running of the va, but the gop shares in this blame regarding delays due to budgetary issues.
veteransbenefits090512.jpg

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Wait, who is the Commander and Chief? Who has the power to bring every soldier, sailor, airman and marine home next week, if he chooses?
I actually don't blame Obama. This is a government problem. You have to understand the mind of a government employee. You cannot get fired. You cannot get reprimanded. You cannot get a raise even if you work hard. So, why work any harder than you have to? This applies to any government organization.

I know many here hate the "rich corporations" but the only way to get people to work at their best is to have a profit motive (carrot) and policy of firing people who fail to do their job (stick). These concepts don't exist in government. Whether it's healthcare, education, defense, and all the others. No matter how much money we spend, it never changes.

This is the only thing I blame Obama for. He is a statist and believes the government can cure all. We are all learning the limits of government proficiency. At least with corporations, we can find another if one of them screws us. As long as government doesn't give them a monopoly anyway.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wait, who is the Commander and Chief? Who has the power to bring every soldier, sailor, airman and marine home next week, if he chooses?
And not the power of the purse, to fund for their hugely expensive care when they come back for their lifetime.

We've had two administrations since the last two wars started. One did not budget for care at all, not a single dime, instead just making up for the lack of funding that was passed to him. The next opened up care to the Vietnam vets for agent orange exposure and PTSD treatment, and then has to pay for the lifetime care of the hundreds of thousands whom were deployed in our last/current two wars.

A budget going up, doesn't mean it's come close to the actual care requirements, but don't let the facts get in the way of "gee the bar graph got higher so naturally everything is well funded".

We need to stop this BS cycle of increasing funding to make up for the previous gaps, while ignoring the much higher incoming funding needs, citing increases to get to par doesn't account for the 18 holes that are coming into play.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
And not the power of the purse, to fund for their hugely expensive care when they come back for their lifetime.

We've had two administrations since the last two wars started. One did not budget for care at all, not a single dime, instead just making up for the lack of funding that was passed to him. The next opened up care to the Vietnam vets for agent orange exposure and PTSD treatment, and then has to pay for the lifetime care of the hundreds of thousands whom were deployed in our last/current two wars.

A budget going up, doesn't mean it's come close to the actual care requirements, but don't let the facts get in the way of "gee the bar graph got higher so naturally everything is well funded".

We need to stop this BS cycle of increasing funding to make up for the previous gaps, while ignoring the much higher incoming funding needs, citing increases to get to par doesn't account for the 18 holes that are coming into play.

The accusation was that congress had cut the budget of the VA, that turned out to be false.

Dmunjal

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010

We've had two administrations since the last two wars started. One did not budget for care at all, not a single dime. The next opened up care to the Vietnam vets for agent orange exposure and PTSD treatment, and then has to pay for the lifetime care of the hundreds of thousands whom were deployed in our last/current two wars.

You actually believe that if we doubled or even tripled the budget things would change?? Government is a black hole of funding.

Look at education. There has been no improvement to results yet spending continues to climb.

expend.gif