V.A. Circus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 23, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Where is the forum's Veterans Administration Circus thread?

Obama Let The VA scandal becomes a Political Circus

This could be a case where VA hospitals should be turned over to civilian health corporations. It's just too bad, for issues like this, it becomes politicized, seen as a vehicle to take down the other party instead of fix the problem. Ironically my impression is one of the problems is lack of funding coming from a "we don't want to pay for it" Congress.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

According to the article, almost nobody is in support of privatizing VA hospitals. Thankfully, because the situation would be even worse if the corporations got their greedy sticky fingers on it.

Also, as the article mentions, there will be no rational discussion about this. It's going to go the same route as Benghazi and "death panels". Limbaugh already blamed this whole scandal on "death panels".

3. Huntn, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It's hard to accomplish meaningful reforms when an issue is politicized. If you look at the military medical system, many dependents and retirees are all ready using civilian doctors. Think of it as Medicare. I have no issue with VA hospitals that focus on veterans and veterans psychological issues and war related injuries, but it needs good management and adequate funding. Politicians talk up our Vets, but they need to put their money where their mouths are.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm military retired. My medical is through Humana TriCare. Fortunately, I also have United Healthcare through my work. This keeps me from having to wait in line at a VA Hospital. There is no excuse for the poor care that has been the norm under the VA system.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/jon-stewart-r...gRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--?pt=tAD2SCT8P7

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/jon-stewart-veterans_n_5377574.html

Obama is at the helm so he gets the blame right now.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Rep David Scott (D-GA) impressed me this week when he laid the blame squarely on the shoulders of the President and called for the resignation of the secretary.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

not a fan of Obama, but isn't congress the ones to really blame here?:confused:

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

As an analogy it's like cutting the police budget and then blaming the Police chief when there are not enough cops. Yes, the Administration takes responsibility with the running of the VA, but the GOP shares in this blame regarding delays due to budgetary issues.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Ah, blame the Republicans at all costs. When President Obama made his speech in Arizona (Aug 17, 2009) promising to cut wait time at the VA, the Democrats controlled both the House and Senate.

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Such a convenient conclusion for your argument. And of course the GOP has been cooperating with the Obama Administration every chance they get when it comes to Veteran affairs. :rolleyes:

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama/Bush/Romney/Palin/Mickey mouse can promise the moon the stars & a Klondike bar, if congress does not move nothing gets done, you are correct pointing out the democrats had control for 2 years with Obama at the helm. their priority was to pass the ACA at the time.

----------

democrats controlled both houses for a while.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The truth hurts. The Democrats had the means to fix it but didn't for the reason that jkcerda points out in the quote below.

The Democrats had both houses for four consecutive years. They've had the Senate for seven years. The Republicans have controlled the House for three years. And you are very right, the ACA was their priority.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The VA consistently receives very high marks for care. The problem isn't the care they receive, it's the waiting to get seen. I blame Congress for continually cutting funding for the VA.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Privatize the VA.

Give all vets a VA only medicaid card, or use Tricare or whatever that can be used at any hospital. Abolish the VA, and turn over the budgets to the highest rated hospitals in the area.

My dad has been wrapped up in the VA drama since Vietnam and his care has been awful.

I don't deal with the VA at all. I refuse.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Can you show funding cuts to the VA from 2011 - now?

16. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

veteransbenefits090512.jpg

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I'd like to see a chart of how many new veterans were produced/needing care over that period of time. You know, when we had 2 wars going on...

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Wait, who is the Commander and Chief? Who has the power to bring every soldier, sailor, airman and marine home next week, if he chooses?

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I actually don't blame Obama. This is a government problem. You have to understand the mind of a government employee. You cannot get fired. You cannot get reprimanded. You cannot get a raise even if you work hard. So, why work any harder than you have to? This applies to any government organization.

I know many here hate the "rich corporations" but the only way to get people to work at their best is to have a profit motive (carrot) and policy of firing people who fail to do their job (stick). These concepts don't exist in government. Whether it's healthcare, education, defense, and all the others. No matter how much money we spend, it never changes.

This is the only thing I blame Obama for. He is a statist and believes the government can cure all. We are all learning the limits of government proficiency. At least with corporations, we can find another if one of them screws us. As long as government doesn't give them a monopoly anyway.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And not the power of the purse, to fund for their hugely expensive care when they come back for their lifetime.

We've had two administrations since the last two wars started. One did not budget for care at all, not a single dime, instead just making up for the lack of funding that was passed to him. The next opened up care to the Vietnam vets for agent orange exposure and PTSD treatment, and then has to pay for the lifetime care of the hundreds of thousands whom were deployed in our last/current two wars.

A budget going up, doesn't mean it's come close to the actual care requirements, but don't let the facts get in the way of "gee the bar graph got higher so naturally everything is well funded".

We need to stop this BS cycle of increasing funding to make up for the previous gaps, while ignoring the much higher incoming funding needs, citing increases to get to par doesn't account for the 18 holes that are coming into play.

22. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You do understand the load that the VA has been put under with over 10 years of continuous war?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The accusation was that congress had cut the budget of the VA, that turned out to be false.

25. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

You actually believe that if we doubled or even tripled the budget things would change?? Government is a black hole of funding.

Look at education. There has been no improvement to results yet spending continues to climb.

expend.gif