Vaccine court: $110 Million in Damages Paid Out First Quarter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BenTrovato, May 7, 2019.

1. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The flu vaccine is not a fraud. It’s has varying degrees of efficacy.

If you want to talk about the “vaccine court”, aka Office of Special Masters of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, it’s a court setup 30+ years ago to prevent pharmaceutical companies from being sued repeatedly to the point where they stop making vaccines.

The court has an incredibly low bar for compensation due to adverse events presumed be caused by vaccinations compared to just about any other legal proceeding. In fact they have a pre-approved claims listing. Something like 80% of claims received a settlement. In general, the success rate for suing for any other pharmaceutical product is nowhere near that, I imagine it’s the same for every other area of law.

It’s not surprising the flu vaccine has the highest number of claims as its given on an annual basis, unlike most other vaccines.

The listing for the flu vaccine covers
    - Anaphylaxis: Anyone can be allergic to basically anything and develop the allergy at any time
    - Shoulder related injury related to vaccine administration: This is caused by the practitioner injecting the vaccine too high on the arm
    - Vasovagal syncope: This could be related to the vaccine, anxiety from getting the shot, or many other factors
    - Guillain Barre Syndrome: This can occur when any foreign antigen appears in the body It’s most commonly seen when people have infections or surgery. The risks of developing influenza are considered higher than developing GBS.

There are also specific time frames these reactions must appear within, it’s a rather generous window.

This court does not evidence “beyond a reasonable doubt” in order to pay compensation. It is not exactly an accurate way of gauging the safety of the vaccine. Since the the vaccine hysteria really took off, so have the number of claims.

I have given hundreds of vaccines and I can say I’ve never had a patient report any serious side effects. It’s not to say that it doesn’t happen, I’m saying it’s usually very rare and the comparatively speaking, the risks of vaccines are minuscule compared to the risks of developing the disease you’re trying to prevent. Let’s not forget the flu generally isn’t life threatening in older adolescents-middle aged healthy individuals, young children and the seniors on the other hand have far greater risks.

I spent a rotation at a children’s hospital and saw the likely consequences of unvaccinated children with diseases like encephalitis, some of whom died or are enduring lifelong consequences.

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

In the pharmaceutical industry 100 million is probably the average corporate slush fund amount so don’t worry...

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

LOL, the OPs source for information is horrendous. Website looks like it was designed by an 8 year old.

Don't want a flu shot, don't get one but the most important part is this.

If you get sick STAY HOME! Nobody wants your crud....

5. LordVic macrumors 603

Unfortunately, with things like the flu, by the time they realize they're sick it's too late and they've already spread the Germs.

Flus and colds can take up to 10 days to incubate in the system before showing symptoms. It's this point that is the most dangerous.

People should get the flu shot if they are physically capable. Even if they don't "believe" it'll be effective. I won't go out on a stretch and say that they should be mandatory, but it would be a good thing to do if able.

My sister for example has Lupus. A common cold can devestate her health for weeks/months. A flu could be fatal. any, even a 1% chance to reduce the possibility of carrying a disease that could kill my sister, I'm going to do.

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

Tell that to the lady who was coughing on my next without covering her mouth when I lived in Maryland. Yes, there is a period that people don’t know they are sick, but many still go to work and venture out when they know they are.

I don’t get the flu shot, sorry, don’t plan to start. Even when I have gotten it, I still usually get sick so I just don’t bother anymore. Especially when I get sick either way. I think the one year I got it, they admitted that it was only 17% effective that year because they got the strains wrong.

I’m for being vaccinated, but the flu shot to me is a solid money maker only for the most part.

That being said, when I do get sick, I stay home.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

8. LordVic macrumors 603

One of the big problems with people coming into work sick is the potential for retribution by employer, a lack of pay, requirement of a doctors note for missed work, or just insufficient sick time allowances.

A lot of people when faces with either missing a day or two of work for illness, getting no pay, or working sick, will chose to work sick in order to maintain their income. Want to keep sick people out of the workplace while they get better? Make it so that their not punished for getting sick.

1. Employers should be required to pay a specific number of sick days per year. I think 5 paid sick leave days is a reasonable allowance.
    2. Employers should NOT be allowed to require a doctors note for return to work unless the leave was extended (5+ days), or a clean bill of health is required to return.

As for the flu vaccine? I'm not going to tell you you should get it. But from my perspective, walking into a pharmacy, getting a needle in about 5 minutes, and then walking out? For ANY reduces chance to get sick, or to make family / friends sick? I'm going to get it 100% of the time. This is probably where we vary though. Here in Canada, Flu Vaccines are paid for by our health care system and costs nothing additional to receive. As mentioned above, I can go into any qualified pharmacy and receive my flu shot without paying an additional penny. Because of the large bulk orders that are done via the health care system for mass distribution, the overall costs of the Flu vaccine are pennies per dose.

In the end, we've found that paying around $4 / vaccine per person, saves millions in medical costs with less people going to their family doctors, Clinics or ER for basic flu symptoms, which overall is a net money saver. So we get a double benefit of easy access to the flu shot, and money saving for the rest of the system