Valedictorian spends 20 minutes preaching at public high school graduation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jun 14, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3228069&page=1

"I guess I don't totally understand why it's such a big deal." Seriously? Is she trying to be offensive or is she just stupid? She doesn't understand how spending 20 minutes at a high school graduation telling people who don't believe in the same brand of crazy that she does that they're going to hell isn't such a big deal?

I'll buy that the school didn't know her speech ahead of time. It's easy enough for her to give them one speech without that BS for approval than do a last minute switcheroo. But the school should've cut her mic and booted her off stage the second her speech turned religious and offensive. It is completely inappropriate, especially at a public high school graduation where there are likely students of many beliefs there.

And you know who else burns in hell besides Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Gays, Atheists and anyone else who doesn't believe in her god? People who give 20 minute graduation speeches. Graduations are boring enough as it is. I had to sit through my sister's than my own on back to back days, I wanted to kill myself :p

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The fact that a public, taxpayer funded school stood by and allowed the valedictorian to spend 20 minutes saying that people like me and anyone else who doesn't believe in the same god she does are going to hell shouldn't bother me?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why in the world is she telling people they're going to hell during a graduation ceremony?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Bleak job prospects?;)

If I was at the ceremony, I would have gotten up and walked out.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, I would have gotten up, said something and then left.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It is an indictment of our education system that our valedictorians graduate from school with such a shocking lack of social awareness.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Same here. I'd have no qualms about walking out of my graduation. And before I walked out, I'd make sure my reasons were known.

Yeah, she's got to be the dumbest valedictorian in history. Her statement about it not being a big deal proves it. I'm guessing her classmates were just as ignorant as she was if she managed to be valedictorian.

Edit: Seems this happened in 2007. It was on Fark today though which is where I saw it. Regardless, doesn't change the facts and my opinion of her.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Absolutely. This is crazy.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, I am not surprised. Valedictorian honors are reward for having a strong work ethic, nothing more. The position really has nothing to do with social or moral uprightness, or the posession of a penetratinig intellect. apart from the notion that working hard is a moral good. Plenty of history's worst men and women were hard workers.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

What school doesn't approve valedictorian speeches? I say that the school is at least somewhat at fault here.

12. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

13. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I thought the Valedictorian went to the person with the highest GPA?

At my high school, the only way to get a GPA high enough to be in the running for valedictorian was to take honors and AP classes and be really, really smart - and likely smart enough to not pull this crap.

I'd be willing to believe that the speech she had the school approve and the speech she gave were 2 different speeches. Where the school screwed up was they didn't cut her mic when it got to the Jesus mumbo jumbo.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The outrage, having 4 years to fester, has now blown up in our faces.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You forgot Christians (that don't hold to her exact Theology)... :eek:

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I'm in the process of writing a dissertation on why history taught in American schools is crap, but alas I'll be taking too many college classes in my senior year to be valedictorian

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Yay?:confused:

18. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

A valedictorian speech on how bad education is seems funny, especially if you're basically attacking everything they know about history

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Unless I mess something up, I'll be valedictorian next year. Can I write my speech about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and how great it is to be touched by his noodly appendage?

20. Surely Guest

Surely

No, what I meant was: besides using the words "valedictorian" and "speech", how else does your post pertain to the original topic?:confused:

Oh, and I think you can blame the Texas school board for why history taught in American schools is crap.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

At the primary and secondary school level, diligence and recall are generally sufficient to earn top GPA honors. Some of my smartest classmates in High School were B students.

22. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

are you one of the tax payers in that school district? not for nothing, but, if you are not, you need a vacation, or something. i don't take stock in the fairy tale either but i am not going to be that angry about it...

inappropriate speech. news at 11.

23. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

Now, THAT is a speech I'd sit for!

24. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Was she hot? 'Cause then it's ok.

BTW Michelle Bachmann appears on the right of the article. Coincidence?

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You go right ahead. But I doubt if you're significant enough to be touched by the FSM.