Valerie Plame’s Lawsuit Dismissed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

NY Times

so is this the end of it then? for all the talk about obstruction of justice conspiracies and illegally revealing the identity of spies, is this affair over?

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

According to the article, this result was almost a foregone conclusion from the start.

The end? Somehow, I don't think it is

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

From this little blurb, she should be able to refile in the proper location. If this does get to the SCOTUS, I doubt it will be heard - I can't imagine that hte jurisdiction question would be that far reaching. Now, if we can get to the meat of the matter, then I'd be much more interested in following along.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so let's look at the record of this judge:
    no cause for politically-motivated alarm there, eh?

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well, no. Plame stated she plans to appeal, and I believe it won't be over until the SCOTUS a) refuses to hear the case, or b) decides the case.

I've never heard of Bates before this, but I immediately wondered if GWB had appointed him. I wikied him and sure enough...:rolleyes:

You know there's a genuine problem of politicization in the govt when that's the first thing which comes to mind. And five years ago, that wouldn't have been the case for me.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's not lack of bias that holds our judicial system together, it's the perception of. if the floodgates of mistrials-through-political-bias ever open, i'm not sure they can ever be shut.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yeah, well, all I know is that I'm not exactly perceiving a sense of justice at the moment.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Did it say which year he graduated from Pat Robertson's law school? I think the SCOTUS and other federal judges should have to prove once a year there is actual brain activity. In fact, all public servants should have to pass the test. That should certainly make the republican primaries go quickly.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not surprised. Just another in a long line. The Bush administration is probably happy thinking it's all over, but all this is doing is making them look worse (if that's even possible) and giving (more) fodder to their opponents. The base (what's left of it) may think they are vindicated because they don't see the crime here and still defend it, but for those paying attention, it's obvious.

Most people probably won't care though... they already hate them and don't need anything else.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Looks like Valerie is working tirelessly to restore the privacy she apparently values so much.

This is so going nowhere.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

He dismissed the case on account of jurisdiction, not politics, and even Plame's lawyers realized that they were fighting a losing battle. I fail to see how this can reasonably be construed as a political power play.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no need for anyone to prove it, but given his past, do you agree that it's possible his politics influenced his decision?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks once again, for your irrelevant comment.

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

When this subject gets anywhere, I'll retract my comment and congratulate you on being correct then. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was referring to this sentence of yours:

So, should I conclude that you think it's alright to out covert CIA agents for political gain then? Apparently, that seems OK to you. Or is it only OK to do so when you're a Republican?

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Seems to me she should take this up with Armitage then, because he's the one that "outed" her.

I have more of a problem with the nepotism involved in her and her husband in this situation.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha!- of course. So typical. I guess I got my answer.

She shouldn't have to take it up with anybody. This is a federal offense we're talking about. The authorities should be pursuing this. Hmm...wonder why they aren't? Hey, I know! I bet certain high-ranking officials are preventing it!

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Do you have the same problem with the nepotism in the Bush administration? There seem to be a lot of people hired for their loyalty to Bush rather than their qualifications.

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The guy went to Maryland. Trust me, that place the the furthest thing from Pat Robertson. Being a conservative at Maryland is like being a homosexual in the Bush administration - if there are any, they don't readily admit to it. the amount of crap I got there...What I wouldn't give to have front row seats to the burning down of that building.

I was just thinking about one of the few conservative professors there - Judge Smalkin. Even from the liberal students, he always got great reviews. The way he got railroaded out of the school - well, let's just say members of the Bush administration are getting subpoenaed for being a lot kinder. Unacceptable.

20. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

But what would we do without the Democrats around? :D

I keed, I keed.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Great how many years of fighting with the WH about ADA violations will this create.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I daresay all politicians would be gone. We'd have to start over.

23. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

And would that be such a bad thing? There isn't a one of these people that would make a pimple on the a** of a real leader!

24. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

No Surprises at all.

Is this poor woman going to be able to get a job now? Jeesh!

25. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

But doesn't that hold true for every appointed (or elected) judge? Conservative judges tend to rule conservatively and liberal judges tend to rule liberally. For the matter at hand, I think that it is well within reason to assert that the grounds for dismissal are perfectly applicable in this situation, without any sort of political gerrymandering...