Vampires!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Currently me and the wife are watching Vampire Diaries. It's good enough to watch, but not great. However it has gotten me thinking. The vampire is a creature that once a human, preys on humans to survive. They started off as horrid monsters, but have transformed into incredibly beauties as a mechanism of seducing their prey. Our culture has performed this transformation, why?

When I was a kid, I read Dracula. What an incredibly good story from 1897. The original vampire, Dracula was a sociopath who used and murdered people for his own ends and was happy to do so. He was on the ugly side (I think) but he kept a trio of hot vamp babes in his castle, he did! Step forward to 1976, Interview with a Vampire (Ann Rice) the story of the reluctant vampire Louis, struck down with grief due to the loss of his family, not caring whether he lived or died, but somehow became vampire, ridden with remorse and guilt (btw, Lestat= Tom Cruises greatest role. ).

The transformation of Vampires from monsters to action figure, supermen, sex goddess heros is interesting one and how attractive must it be to humans? Sure you have to suck a little blood, but you don't have to kill if you don't want to, depending on the story, you could be transformed into a beautiful, physically flawless creature with super abilities.

As far as morality and being damned by God, the vast majority of vampires don't ask to become vampires. Events transpire in such a way to become forced on them one way or another. In the Vampire Diaries, overflowing with vampires, so far there has only been one character I can remember (the school teacher's wife) who went looking to become a vampire. So how would God judge a vampire?

Are vampires inherently evil or do they just display human frailty when handed great power?

For more insight, checkout The Allure of Vampires

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

This is based on Buffy mythology -

When you get turned into a vampire, your soul moves out and a demon moves in. It still has access to all of your memories, thoughts, and personality, so it will still have characteristics of the human it possesses. But it does not have a soul. (Adding in some Angel mythology...the soul is the only thing a demon cannot overtake.)

So the way I see it, the human who dies is the one who allegedly would get judged by God. The vampire demon is already condemned.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And frankly...the Buffy Universe is the only one that matters. :D

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Exodus 20:5-6 (also Dt 5:9)

I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

God's a dick, so, it doesn't really matter if they're moral or immoral, because God's moral compass is complete bull.

5. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Neither. They are fiction.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unlike the quite real werewolves of London. ;)

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You should check out "Being Human" on SyFy. It's even got a Werewolf and a ghost too! A little more tongue and cheek than Vampire Diaries and very entertaining.

Why are vampires portrayed as these beautiful immortal people now? It's hard to say, but it sure would be nice to be immortal, in perfect health, and beautiful to boot. I think I could work out the blood drinking thing somehow. :)

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Being Human is great... Haven't caught the latest series but did enjoy the first two.

Isn't the Victorian genesis of the vampire all to do with, um, repression, virginity and all that malarky... Stoker's The lair of the white worm also fits into all that repressed desire etc etc (The Ken Russell film is hilarious)

It's all just been sanitised (and dare I say, they've been given a non-sexual purpose and back story) for a modern teen audience

9. Huntn, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

One of the many... Buffy seems to be at odds with the other popular versions. ;)

Keep in mind that is God according to man. :p

Dude, I'm speaking of what they represent in literature... a projection of fantasy. :p

Hence the attractiveness of the proposition as portrayed in today's popular culture. :)

10. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

True. Buffy's portrayal of vampirism was more of an allegory to addiction.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ann Rice brought a new dimension to the vampire and kept it alive. The actor who portrayed Dracula for years in the mid 1900s almost killed it (can't remember his name).

As far as Vampire movies go I still think Nosferatu was the spookiest. I own the version with type O negative playing over (silent movie).

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Don't tell Keanu Reeves...Everyone knows he's a vampire ;)

[​IMG]

13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Well, in this scenario, we're talking about how vampires are inherently against God, particularly the Christian god. I guess it would presuppose that we'd also hypothetically assume that this god is described accurately.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Here's a Wiki list: Max Schreck, Béla Lugosi, John Carradine, Christopher Lee, Denholm Elliott, Jack Palance, Louis Jourdan, Frank Langella, Klaus Kinski, Gary Oldman, Leslie Nielsen, George Hamilton, Gerard Butler, Richard Roxburgh, Marc Warren, Rutger Hauer, Stephen Billington and Dominic Purcell.

When I was little Bela Lugosi scared me, but as I got older, he had lost his grove... ;)

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You'd most likely be talking about Christopher Lee. He was the only actor I know of who played the role multiple times during that period -- but he was great. :cool:

As far as the soul, most vampire movies seem to regard it as something held prisoner within the person while they are a vampire. There is frequent talk of someone being "at peace" or "released" when they are staked.

Of course, what are we to think when the stake is removed and the vampire rises again? I don't know -- you're expecting consistency here??

I'm a big vampire fan, and believe me, the lore varies widely. Dark Shadows' Barnabas Collins was a reluctant vampire with a certain moral rectitude, but the vampires of King's "'Salem's Lot" were an evil, ravenous, Walking Dead-like bunch. And the novel version of "The Night Stalker" revived an ancient, forgotten bit of vampire lore -- vampires have absolutely foul breath. In an enclosed area, they'll make an entire room smell like vomit.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

One of the best ones ever had to be the Max Schrek portrayed by Willem Dafoe in Shadow of the Vampire. Creepy and funny at the same time.

17. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I thought the depiction of all vampires being descended from Judas was kind of an interesting mythological twist in Dracula 2000.

18. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

worth seeing?

19. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It's actually worth seeing, if you liked Underworld and other modern Vampire/Zombie SHMUP films.

I do, but films like Let Me In and The Hamiltons do a lot more with the genre in a more subtle way.

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Why?

Smoochie, smoochie, ouch, watch it! You dumped me! Huggy, huggy, I miss you so! My boy friend is so cold, but you're so hot! If I can't have you, you're 6 month old daughter will have to do! ;)

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

WRONG! Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder is Tom Cruise's greatest role. His dance to "low" made my bladder feel weak. I'd post a video of it but some gormless dickbag hollywood executive can't stand the idea of anyone seeing a 2 minute clip of a movie... what, for fear someone will find it funny and buy the film? :rolleyes: Oh, hollywood. Cute but not real bright.

Anyway, vampires? Great stories (with the exception of goddamn Twilight) but I can't bring myself to talk about them in a "real" sense. I'd hump the everloving hell out of Eric Northman though.

23. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

My friends are all nuts for him, and I totally, totally get it. Although if we're picking favorites, I'm more of a Pam Swynford de Beaufort kind of gal. ;)

"Just lie back sweetheart, and think of Estonia."

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh god yes! I really like her! :D I wish she had a bigger role. She and Lafayette are by far the most amusing characters.

25. Huntn, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol. I kind of forgot about True Blood in this discussion. Come on, I don't believe they are real. This discussion is how they are projections of humanity. :)

The Sookie Stackhouse novels are just outstanding. The show however did not live up to me or my wife's expectations. So many changes from the book and they were not good changes imo. Maybe we've had this discussion. The first thing that bothered me was in the show, they had werewolves and vamps working together where in the book they'd have no part of each other. Ok, so that might be considered minor, but the thing I miss most from the novels is not hearing Sookie's sometime humorous thoughts on events unfurling around her.

Les Grossman was an amazing character for Mr. Cruise.

In the show I liked Lafayette and Jessica. In the show Pam did not quite live up to my expectations (a little too old) and neither did Claudine (the fairy, not amazing enough). I also did not care for the accentuated gay stories Alan Ball (the director) felt the need to inject into the story. But that is what he's all about. ;)

Now one of the hottest vamps I've ever seen is Lauren Cohan, playing Rose the 500 year old vamp in Vampire Diaries. spoiler>She makes a brief appearance in Season 2 <endspoiler.

[​IMG]