Van drives into pedestrians in German city of Muenster, deaths confirmed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hard to believe 30 people would be injured in a pure accident scenario.

3. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Assault vehicle. No one needs a vehicle that can travel at high speed. Ban them now.....

Annoying isn’t it?

4. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Three messages in and this tragedy turns into a platform for gun ownership. Wow. Just wow.

5. A.Goldberg, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I would say an accident involving that many people would be an anomaly, but I suppose anything is possible. Terrorism would be the more fitting culprit, but I won’t jump to conclusions. For all we know it’s someone angry about YouTube payments.

I don’t like to make hard judgements until the facts come out in any of these mass killings/attempts come out.

(For example, years ago in Connecticut a dump truck killed 4 people and injuring 20+ people- but the truck wasn’t legally up to snuff and it’s transmission and brakes at the end of a long hill. Or a year or so ago in NYC a car ran into a crowd of people, but the driver was just intoxicated.)

Sorry to all of those affected by this tragic event. It’s a terrible loss for Muenster and Germany.

6. ThisBougieLife, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I have a feeling the circumstances around this incident will begin to feel very familiar as more information comes to light.

One hopes this was just a horrible accident, but recent historical precedence says otherwise.

Sad what's happening to the countries of my ancestors--the blows just keep coming to France and Germany.

7. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Hence the, Annoying isn’t it?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's been confirmed the driver shot himself.

9. 0007776 Suspended

Well we’ve already done a lot to make vehicles safer, unlike guns. Also unlike guns vehicles have more uses than killing so we should weigh the pros and cons of changes to the laws. I’m guessing you’ll find there are a lot more pros to keeping vehicles around than there are to keeping guns around.

10. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I hope the cheese was not harmed in any way.

11. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Look, i'm ok with hellcat's, demon's, shelby's, viper's etc. Even at a very high speed your airbags/seatbelts are not going to protect you. We have changed laws to make guns more safe and yet vehicle accident death and injuries outweigh when lets say compared to firearms. I'm not trying to make this about a gun debate, but if you want to talk about restricting vehicles even more and make top speed for all vehicles at 40 mph people are going to scream. Just like shootings in America, right away the gun gets the blame and not the shooter. This vehicle was used for murder and it's never going to end. So what's the solution other then banning vehicles to stop these acts of violence?

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I think the idea here though is that no mater what we ban, curtail or get rid of.....someone that wants to inflict damage on people will find a way. The REAL problem and what need fixing is how to prevent these people from getting so effed up mentally in the first place or if they are found to be defective then lock them up. Sorry.

But it’s easier to ban stuff. I know. But it doesn’t do a damned bit of good except make some people feel better. It’s A false dichotomy.

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Of course, by that logic, you would support the repeal of laws banning any type of weapon. Bazookas? Bombs? Machine guns? Sure, why not. Banning them just makes people feel better.

14. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Or we can restrict the privilege of driving to the point that dying in a car crash is almost impossible.

15. raqball macrumors 68000

Yeah, agree! Maybe if we ban murder it will stop? Oh wait.... Last I checked murder was already illegal and that doesn't stop it from happening.

16. 0007776 Suspended

Start pushing for more autonomous driving features. Maybe try to integrate at least enough autonomy that if a car sees a pedestrian it stops and takes steps to override the driver to avoid a fatal collision. Also you could add features to prevent immediately driving away if you hit something.

17. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Could have fooled me.

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Sure seems like terrorism.

CNN International (@cnni)
    4/7/18, 11:07 AM
    What we know about a van that slammed into a crowd in Germany:
    ■ Several people have been killed and at least 30 injured, police say
    ■ The driver shot and killed himself
    ■ Authorities are treating the incident as a deliberate attack

Julie Lenarz (@MsJulieLenarz)
    4/7/18, 11:24 AM
    The incident in Münster occured on the anniversary of the Stockholm van attack. On April 7, 2017, Rakhmat Akilov, a rejected asylum seeker, hijacked a lorry and drove it into a crowd of civilians. Five people were killed and 14 others were seriously injured.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

What would be the practical effects of banning all types of vehicles compared to banning all types of guns?

I wouldn’t say your statement is annoying but it’s devoid of any real thought as you are comparing two objects with very different intended uses. Vehicles are absolutely necessary to keep any developed economy afloat from supply chains to transportation. Guns are intended as deadly weapons and are either hobbyist items or a significant problem. The latter is not crucial to our way of life whereas the first instance very much is.

20. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Driving is also a privilege and firearms ownership is a constitutional right.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think your whole analogy here is false to be honest. If weapons are hard to get hold of then the probability of being injured or killed by a weapon automatically decreases. You don’t have to be an accomplished mathematician to work that out. You’ll also never eradicate nutters from committing violent acts either, but when weapons of choice are limited then so is the chance that one of these nutters succeeds or follows through with the act.

We’ve seen a few vehicles used to kill in Europe over the past couple of years and although it’s higher than it should be, it’s thankfully rare.

22. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

That’s only in your country and that piece of outdated legislation is why nothing can be done about the dreadful shootings we hear about all do often coming from the States. It’s treated like a religion and I know what I’d rather have access to in order to live. Outside of America widespread gun ownership serves no practical purpose whatsoever whereas transport systems and continued supply chains keep our economies afloat in our very consumer driven worlds.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You do know that there are other places in the world than the U.S.?
    People seem to be jumping the gun :rolleyes: about this being a terrorist incident.

25. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

God Bless the lives lost in the latest attack on European soil! It's kinda sad that I'm nearly unphased by this attack, because they've been happening to frequently now.