Vandals - Maybe the Internet Mob Isn't All Bad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, May 28, 2016.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm not a fan of social media justice. It leads to people being harassed, or worse, before facts are known. It results in malicious prosecutions by prosecutors who allow their professional judgement to be swayed by mob justice - digital destruction of the innocent.

But maybe it isn't all bad. I am hard-pressed to see any innocent being harmed and the criminal proudly displays his crime for the world to see and note.

http://www.vocativ.com/323017/park-protecting-vigilantes-hunt-litter-bugs-online/

Even the most hardcore national park-hating conservative must see the value in protecting natural treasures. Even the most hardcore urban art-loving liberal must see the need to restrain from defacing public wilderness.

I have some guesses on who will tell me that what is being done is wrong - please don't fail me now, PRSI.

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Why would anyone want to vandalize?

Why not just hand out leaflets to passers-by and be satisfied? That's still legal, if not annoying.

Treasures can be sold to pay the debt. A few years ago, one of the Hawaiian islands was sold. Conservatives openly supported that transaction back then, so they shouldn't mind if bits of the rest of the country also get sold or auctioned off? Or will they admit the past decision was in error, or citing a contextual difference?

Extreme liberals would prevent anyone from visiting at all. It's always the right-wing's fault.

I don't think the national park hating conservative hates the parks. They just want private industry to take care of it because it'll be cheaper and better regardless of what might or might not actually happen. Either way, it's always the left-wing's fault.

Assuming both sides are comprised of people who would never think or engage in infiltrating the other side to frame them for something they didn't do.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

What in the world makes you think conservatives hate national parks?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The Bundy's.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Loved married with children.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's been YEEAAARRRSS since I've seen an episode. Used to love it back in the day, though.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A lot of it is just ignorance. People haven't been told, and never really stop to consider the effects of their actions.

And, sad to say, many people these days simply don't understand the natural world very well. Look at those idiotic tourists who picked up a bison calf and put it in their SUV. People thing animals in the wild are just like living versions of the cute and cuddly creatures they see in Disney movies. A couple of years ago, the people who run the remote Osprey camera at Woods Hole started getting threats from people who were outraged over the way one of the birds was treating its chick.

Like a lot of bad behaviors (smoking, drunk driving, casual racism) its often social pressure that makes it unacceptable to do. So, in this regard, using social media to shame litterers and vandals seems like a pretty effective use of the medium.

8. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Seems like they are usually one of the major targets when trying to cut budgets.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

it costs money and does not make a profit.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2016 ---
    felt all homy for you?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not all republicans are conservative . Many are stupid morons who simply love to complain .

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Am I the only person that thought that this was a new Vandals song?

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Now there's a band I haven't thought of in years.