Varg: another gun thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Interesting incident in France involving a Norwegian neo-Nazi metalhead. France considers this ex-con to be a bit of a problem child, so they arrested his French wife for purchasing four rifles.

Which raises one or more interesting questions. If you are abiding with your spouse, does that affect your right to have access to firearms if your spouse does not have those rights? What if you say you are separated or estranged, does it constitute an invasion of privacy for the state to establish that (after all, where you live is basically not private information)?

My concern is the perception that gun rights (in the US) are inviolable and in no way connected to with responsible behavior. At least, not until someone gets hurt. Where is the practical line of reason here?

2. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

As I understand in the U.S. Federal Law states a spouse of a felon can own a firearm and live in the same household as long as the legal owner is in possession of the firearm or it is locked(vault) in such a manner that the felon can not access it.

There are a lot of "ifs"..

If this person is on parole one of the stipulations could dis-allow it. You also have to look at state and local laws as well.

My advice to anyone is talk to a lawyer in a case like this.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Sounds smart of France to do this, if the US had had requirements like this that were enforced then Newtown probably wouldn't have been able to happen.

4. MegamanX macrumors regular

I would simple change the law so if someone if someone in the house is banned from guns then no guns may be on the residences or hell go as far as if you live there you do not have the right to own a gun.
    Or make it so if you do not have a right to own a gun then you can not be in any residences with a gun.

5. tshrimp, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I am going to make a prediction on the direction this will go. Many people will give the same reasons over again why they think guns should go away and provide some links. Then some will post that it is protected by the Constitution and why they should stay...also with links. And no new information will be given from either side that will convince anyone else.

Just call me Nostradamus :)

6. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The US sort of has requirements like this as evidenced above, however would that guy who did that heinous act have anything on his record to tip off authorities when his mother purchased the arms?

----------

Why do you even post in a "Discussion" board if you are just going to attempt to predict threads outcomes?

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

How would this have stopped the Newtown shooting?

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because then Adam Lanza's mom wouldn't have had guns and he couldn't have stolen them from her.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Good call...same old, same old.

Because predicting the outcome of threads like this is shooting fish in a barrel. Umpteen thousand gun threads...same arguments, same futile outcomes. After the thousandth thread, it does seem a bit silly.

Just one man's opinion...:)

10. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Did Adam Lanza have a criminal record? Even in your dream world if they did arrest his mother for legally buying firearms and invested her what would they have found?

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He was obviously mentally ill as she was trying to get him committed. I agree that this specific rule wouldn't have prevented Newtown, but a very similar law would have done so.

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

More laws yes 100% we need more of them!!! Because we all know criminals and crazy people always follow the law.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

Terrible argument - we have laws for many crimes despite criminals lack of desire to follow them. That doesn't mean that we should abandon laws on say, mirder or stop the creation of new laws concerning them

14. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

So I guess we should just repeal all laws then, since criminals don't follow them anyway? :rolleyes:

15. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

No, just stupid new laws that do nothing.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Except that it would do something as it would have prevented a massacre of schoolchildren :rolleyes:.

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yea sure, :rolleyes: They promised the "Gun free zone" law around schools was suppose to do that!

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think it is really the same...

If this law had been introduced he'd have had to break into someone else's house to get the gun, which is a tad harder than walking across an imaginary line in the sand.