Variable disk free space reported

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by mschmalenbach, Oct 8, 2017.

1. mschmalenbach macrumors regular

Hi Folks

After searching this forum for anything on this, and not finding anything, I decided to post...

After upgrading to HS, I got back about 20Gb of disk space, taking me to about 74Gb free on initial reboot.

I've noticed that over time, the amount of free space reported by Finder can vary drastically.

Why is that? Is it accurate?

I just had 49Gb free just prior to shutdown & reboot, with an empty trash can. I should have around 60-62Gb free (I expanded my Parallels window image by 10Gb...)

I rebooted - opened a Finder window immediately - it said I had 31Gb free... then 46Gb, then 42Gb - all with me doing nothing.

Now it's settled down to 42.5Gb.

I've not added any new apps, large files (videos etc) - I had them on my machine for a while, but copied them to an external drive and deleted them from my laptop. - I have a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 15 with 2.5GHz i7, and 16Gb of RAM, and 512Gb Flash...

Any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers

Martin

2. greentoe78 macrumors newbie

greentoe78

3. greentoe78 macrumors newbie

greentoe78

4. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Same here, highly likely APFS causing issue to Finder, makes it unable to accurately calculate the space used / remaining.

In my case, the variation is over 100GB. But it didn’t cause me any real issue yet.