Various Canon Rebel XT (350D) Questions & foto connection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by steamboat26, Aug 22, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 and have been looking into getting a Digital SLR. After a little research, the Canon Rebel XT seems to be a good match for me. I am a relative beginner and many people seem to recommend this camera for newbies. Photography is one of my favorite hobbies, and I love to take close up pictures of leaves/flowers/objects, and my cybershot just won't cut it for these shots.
    Just a couple of questions-
    Are there any other similarly priced D-SLRs I should also be looking at?
    I noticed that this camera came out it 2005, is there a potential update coming soon?
    A lot of reviews complain that the Rebel XT is too small and not very sturdy? Does anyone have any similar complaints about it?
    I don't know that much about the technicalities of digital photography, so first of all- is there a newbie guide someone could point me to?
    Where can I buy cheapish (sub $200) lenses that are better than the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens that comes bundled with the camera?

Side note, but still related- has anyone ever used http://www.fotoconnection.com?
    The price for the Rebel XT is considerably lower than places like newegg, I'm not sure whether its a scam or what.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The Canon Rebel XTi (400D) is the update to the XT released in August 2006. It has more megapixels than the XT and a few other new features

3. introspectrum macrumors member

hi steamboat.

I have the canon rebel xt (350D). I've had it since early 2006 and love it. The newer model is the canon rebel xti (400D). These are the entry level canon digital slrs. Nikon also has their own line of cheaper dslrs like the d50 and d70. I don't have as much experience with the nikons, but i know some people like the build quality of their cheaper models vs the canons (but they do cost a bit more).

the rebel XT is about $150 cheaper than the XTi. The main upgrades of the xti from what i know is that it's 10megapixels vs the XT's 8megapixels and it has a larger screen. It also includes some new anti-dust system.

In my opinion the megapixel difference is negligible. Unless you're making massive prints (larger than 8x10) you probably won't notice the difference at all in picture quality. the larger screen on the XTi is nice, but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra money. If you have the money to spare, go ahead and get the newer model, but i think it would be a better investment to spend that $150 and put that towards a better lens or accessories.

Also, the sensor used on the Rebel XT is the same one used in the canon 20D , which costs several hundred more!

An awesome site with in-depth reviews of the cameras is www.dpreview.com

The kit lens that comes with the camera is a good lens for a beginner as it has a great focal range and gets fairly good results. I used it for a long time for some location work at bars and clubs and was happy with the results.

you can see some of my shots with my Rebel XT (350D) on my flickr page.
    http://flickr.com/photos/introspectrum/ but take note that i did some photoshop finishing to my shots in terms of color balance, contrast, some vignette effects, etc. But it should give you a good idea of what you can pull out of this cam.

have fun! these new digital slrs are an incredible improvement over regular digital point and shoots. :)

4. sananda macrumors 68020

i have a 350d and am very happy with it. i do find it a little difficult to hold sometimes (when i have the speedlight on) because it is rather small.

5. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I have had my 350D for almost 2 years now and I love it. The camera itself is rather small for me, but when I added the battery pack on the bottom it was perfect.

I would highly suggest this camera to anyone.

You can view pictures I have taken here: http://www.dslreports.com/pics/dimaging/563812?folder=0

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I love my Digital Rebel XT!

The XTi is obviously better, but I think the XT is the best value.

If you really want to go bigger, you can probably still find an original Digital Rebel around for a few hundred less. It has lower MP (6, I think), and the sequential shooting isn't as fast.

7. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Thanks for all the responses guys! :)

Looks like i will be going with a Rebel XT, but I might have to wait a while to raise enough money.

@ introspectrum and ViperDesign- the shots you linked are amazing! Were those taken with the stock lens?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

For those above who have responded that they love their XT, are you using the kit lens or are you using something else?

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I have a zoom lens and a kit lense. I use the kit lens 90% of the time.

10. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I also have to highly recommend the Rebel XT. I have had mine since it first came out (2004??) I love the smaller size since I take it everywhere I go. I mainly use the 17-85 lens, but I am interested in getting the new 24-135 lens. The images are very sharp and Canon uses the same sensor and processor as in its more expensive cameras.

11. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I purchased a new lens 24-70 Sigma 2.8 lens and never use the stock lens that came with it.

From what I heard the XT has a better sensor then the XTi. Just something I heard, who knows if this person knew what they were talking about. (it was someone from a camera shop)

12. Aggamemnon macrumors member

Aggamemnon

I have an EOS400D, and love it.

You will know which camera to get as soon as you start picking them up. The Nikon D80 and others just didn't feel right to me, although my Dad got a D80 as he doesn't like the 400D.

The camera will choose you.

13. dubs macrumors member

Any answers to the fotoconnection question? I am also interested in a 350D, and was wondering if anyone has used this website, like the OP originally asked.

14. introspectrum macrumors member

fotoconnection doesn't seem to have good reviews:
    http://www.smarter.com/fotoconnection---mr--mi-368--bn-10.html

it's worth the extra few bucks to buy it from a reputable site. that way you're guaranteed that it's covered by the warranty, it's unopened, and there's a retun policy. try newegg, bhphoto.com, or amazon. (just some of my faves).

or search it in pricegrabber.com and you can compare prices and check merchant reviews.

In terms of lenses, i bought my REbel XT as a 'body' only and bought a 50mm 1.4 lens. I later bought a 28mm 1.8lens as well. I have used the kit lens though (borrowed my friend's) for my club and party coverage and it worked perfectly well. The only downside to the kit lens is that it's relatively slow (max aperture of 3.5) so if you like to avoid using flash and shoot a lot of low light photography handheld, it may not be great.

If you're starting out, i recommend using the kit lens. It will give you a great range and is a versatile walk-around lens. Then once you develop more of a style and know what you want, upgrade to a faster prime lens or zoom lens.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There are some sub-$200 lenses out there. I went to B&H and bought a Rebel XT (350D) with the kit lens for $560 plus a Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, which was $80 and is sharper than the kit lens.

16. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Is the standard lens acceptable for macro work? Because those tend to be the majority of the pictures I take. I was looking at a Canon macro lens, and it was over $400! I know lenses are generally expensive, but would the kit lens work for macros, and if not, where can I get a cheaper one?

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The 50mm lens I mentioned takes pretty good macro photos for $80 - and the kit lens was OK, for someone getting started.

Go look at the picture of the day thread - there are some great macro shots - and see which lenses people are using to take them. Lenses are expensive, so $400 for a macro lens is certainly not out of the ordinary. Tamron offers a 75-300mm Macro lens for just $129, but I know nothing about its performance.

18. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Thanks, that looks pretty good lens for a good price :D)
    I noticed that the minimum focus distance on that is 1.5 feet, so I assume that is pretty good for the cheaper macros, or am i mistaken?

Here's a couple of questions that will really show off my newbie-ness. If I get a macro lens, is it better to have a lens with an adjustable focal length, or would that only be if i was taking photos at varied distances?
    I'm guessing for landscapes, I will need a lens with both a large f/stop range and focal length range?
    I also noticed that some of the cheaper lenses tend to cover a large range of focal lengths (like 55-200 mm, 75-300 mm), whereas the more expensive lenses have focal length ranges like 10-20mm or 12-24 mm; so does that make the cheaper lenses better for a variety of shots? (ie ranging from close-ups to landscapes)
    I'm sorry for my questions, I'm a newb :eek:

19. sananda macrumors 68020

the kit lens is pretty good with good light (better than a lot of people seem to think). i got a 50mm 1.8 and that is much sharper. i think i'll stop using the kit lens now and get the 17-40 L.

20. introspectrum macrumors member

steamboat. Dpreview.com has a lot of topics that can help you out with the basics:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

about your questions:

- for landscapes you can use any lens you want it's really in the user. However, most people prefer to use a wider lens (lower mm ratings such as 18mm or less). All lenses can go up to the high fstops like 11 which are commonly used for landscapes as they provide a "great depth of field" which means there are a lot of things in focus. YOu can look up 'depth of field' and what affects it in the glossary above

- Super wide angle lens such as the 10mm or 12mm range lenses are just naturally expensive compared to regular focal lengths. My guess would be that they're harder to produce, but it's probably more complex than that. However at the other end of the spectrum, extremely long lenses that are also fast (low aperture numbers) can also go for several thousand $'s. But those are usually used in sports photography such as closeups of NFL players on the field.

- I'm not an expert on macro lenses, but i don't think a distance of 1.5 feet is very low for focusing distance. it really depends on the lens. The best bet is to go to a store that will let you try the different lenses so you can see the difference. Luckily B&H here in ny has practically all the lenses on the market available for testing at the store.

21. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

In several forums I've seen a lot of praise for the Sigma 18-200 OS lens. It gives you an impressive range, has optical stabilization (the OS part) and the IQ is supposed to be superb. It is a bit expensive, though, at ~$550.

Also, the quality of the glass is what makes them pricey. You can also get a lens that covers a large range for a very steep price (70-200mm f/2.8L IS, I'm looking at you...). L-type lenses, like the one I linked, are expensive, but are also supposed to have amazing image quality and are built like tanks.

I also recommend the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Let me just say that it is worthy of all the hype it gets in the forums. :D

22. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Yeah, the 50mm 1.8 has been a great lens for me, as well.

After nearly 2 years, I'm replacing my kit lens with the Sigma 17-70 Macro.

This may be a good all around lens with macro for the OP.

It's a bit expensive $389, but it may be all you need for a awhile.

Check out the flickr group, there's a macro gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma1770/discuss/

23. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Thanks for all the help guys, I can't wait to get a DSLR.
    Hopefully I won't have to wait until Christmas for it :(

24. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I buy all my camera gear from BuyDig.com. They are always very close to the lowest price, and I've had excellent customer service and real fast shipping.

25. marklmo macrumors newbie

fotoconnection

Google fotoconnection, see the reviews people have posted and you'll find that they're not the most reputable company. I just ordered a camera from them before checking them out and I'm concerned that I wont get the camera I ordered.
    They send an email asking you to call to confirm your order and when you call, you get a rude guy trying to sell you an extended warranty, batteries, memory, etc. I didnt purchase anything additional and the camera shipped promptly so we'll see what it looks like when I get it.
    I'll update this thread when I get the package on Monday.