Vatican: Please Let Us Hate Gays in Peace.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Mar 24, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

More@Source

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

When your moral beliefs or beliefs about human nature are bigoted and wrong, yes, we will attack you. Get used to it because that is the direction the world is moving, like it or not.

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Vatican, and the Pope by extension, is rapidly becoming "Captain Dunsel" in the ST-TOS vernacular.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Aw, poor Vatican. Are your medieval feelings hurt?

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

"People are being attacked for taking positions that do not support sexual behaviour between people of the same sex," he told the current session of the Human Rights Council....

"These attacks are violations of fundamental human rights and cannot be justified under any circumstances," Tomasi said."
    Is this not exactly what the Catholic Church has done to homosexuals? Do they not have "Fundamental human rights"?
    Sounds like hate to me.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

As soon as they quit trying to legislate and force their beliefs on the rest of us, the sooner they will be left alone to wallow in their archaic beliefs.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Great description of their own behaviour, justified by a 2,500-year-old book of revisionist history. Anyway, what exactly was the relationship between David and Jonathan?

9. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Not supporting actions is hate?

You do real that Tomasi is talking about the attacks on "People who criticise gay sexual relations..."

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hate the sin, love the sinner. ;)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't be so disingenuous. The Catholic church has stigmatised gays relentlessly.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

If I said that I don't want blacks to be married, because it hurts the sacrament of marriage, would that be hate? I think that it would be.
    Like it or not, the zeitgeist is shifting to make homophobia as stigmatized as racism. The Catholic Church will have to either adapt, or perish.

14. 184550 Guest

So they can't do it to you, but you can do it to them?

Remind me how that makes one different from them?

That's hypocritical at best. :rolleyes:

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"Stigmatised"? Is that a best-case description of what the church has done?

16. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

As cool as that poster might be, I doubt that he has the political or monetary muscle that the Catholic Church does.
    Nor did that poster go to the U.N because his followers are being persecuted for persecuting others.

17. 184550 Guest

That doesn't take away from how utterly hypocritical that train of thought is.

Care to post an article or two on how the mainstream Catholic 'persecutes' Gays?

I say mainstream because your article mentions the mainstream hierarchy Catholic Church and not some obscure extremist branch or off shoot of the Catholic Church.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, sodomised might be closer, but we don't talk about that anymore, right?

19. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

From the article:

"But states can and must regulate behaviours, including various sexual behaviours," he said.
    If I said this against blacks (I am of the opinion that one cannot choose their orientation any more than they can choose their race), would I not be 'persecuting' them according to that definition? What if I further said that being black was an abomination, or that being a 'practicing black' was a sin?

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It is also quite unpopular to be a member of the KKK. Shall we similarly go out of our way to show compassion and tolerance for their most deeply held convictions? Or am I perhaps being cruel and unfair to the guy in the sheet when I call him an ****** and suggest he shape up his attitude or don't act surprised when civilized human beings don't like him very much.

Citing "religious or moral" reasons to be especially down on homosexuality invites an automatic ten-yard penalty for hypocrisy, because the ratio of religious vitriol to actual scriptural proscription is higher for this issue than for any other. People don't have a problem with gay people because their religion tells them to. They have a problem with gay people because they're run-of-the-mill prejudiced human beings, just like people who are prejudiced over any other identity issue, and they look to their religion to excuse them for it.

21. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

1. I'm not gay. Just putting that out there. :D

2. I guess it is hypocritical in a sense: They hate gays for being gay and I hate bigots for being bigoted. Whether or not that puts me on the same level as them is up to you, I guess.

3. Don't wear sunglasses for nothing. :cool:

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's another way to word what I think dscuber9000 was trying to say ...

When your beliefs about human nature are based in bigotry, then you will no longer be able to enforce laws based on those beliefs or publicly express your bigoted views without the risk of condemnation.

You are free to keep them in your thoughts and in conversation with like-minded people. However, if aired publicly, you will probably be reminded of the fact that you are a bigot and wrong.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

He may find a "disturbing trend", but I would characterize it as "social progress".

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize that the Catholic Church had an irrational fear of homosexuals. Since the Catholic Church has an irrational fear of homosexuals could you please help me figure out the growing outreach to homosexuals?
    I didn't realize that there was black behavior

While one can't change their orientation one does chose their actions.
    Could you cite examples of mainline Catholicism lynching homosexuals, burning cross on their lawns, bombing their houses etc?

25. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can't be serious.
    We don't fear homosexuals. We just want them to live alone for all of their lives, as it is what God would have wanted.
    An 'outreach to homosexuals' would be trying to find common ground between your religion and their orientation. Not sentencing them to a life of chastity to please your loving god.
    Would you also live your entire life chastely, actively cursing every lustful thought you have(as jesus said if you lust you have already committed adultery in your heart)? It would show that you can empathize with the action plan your church advocates for homosexuals.