Vectorworks 2008 is great but what do i use for Photo realistic images?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by tshardlow, Dec 17, 2009.

1. tshardlow macrumors newbie

I'm using Vectorworks 2008 and have done for a couple of years now.

I design conference sets like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're all well and good but it takes me ages to do the lighting, and its really unrealistic in my opinion. is there something that I can take my Vectorworks files into that has a better rendering package?

Thanks in advance

Thom Shardlow

2. briquick macrumors newbie

try this

I used to work in Vectorworks but then I realize that you can’t accomplish a truly 3d experience using a program like this. Being an architect the Vectorworks workflow was pretty convincing and easy to achieve. Most 3d artists can’t understand this approach. We need Plans, sections, diagrams, and a full link between 2d and 3d data. This was the real niche of Vectorworks. This application relies on a rendering module named Renderworks, 6 years back was a cool thing but nowadays is pretty odd, compared with render engines like Maxwell, vray or even the native renders.
    I can suggest Cinema 4d of the same company; robust, easy to use and well integrated with Vectorworks and Archicad (same company too).
    Changing your every day app is a major turning point and if you are not willing to dedicate long hours mastering your new one. Please keep it.
    I was a Vectorworks user (I am already) and my reason of working with it was the horrible, horrible workflow in Autocad although the program was easy to use from the sketch to the final. Again Vectorworks is not intended to be a 3d app like Maya, 3D Max, Cinema 4d or pure modeler like Rhino. Take a look on Luxology modo is really the cool kid in the block I cant stop praising it. Not an architectural app, but easy enough and with quality renders.
    So my recommendation is to try Cinema 4d for an almost native working wit your files(a fully functional demo is available), I know there are many options, but I guess you are in a professional environment so a professional with future is a must.
    Ciao ciao