Vega MBP screen flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThisBougieLife, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ThisBougieLife, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Just updated to Mojave 10.14.2 today and the screen started flickering. Happens every few seconds or so.

Anyone else having the same problem with their MBP?

Observations (updated):

-It never happened once before updating macOS today.
    -It happens when automatic graphic switching is disabled. Enabling graphics switching stops the flickering. Disabling it again does not cause the flickering to return.
    -It happens more when I wake the computer from sleep.

Could anyone who has a Vega MBP and has updated to 10.14.2 do this test for me?

1. Disable automatic graphics switching. (System Preferences --> Energy Saver)
    2. Put the computer to sleep. Wait 5-10 seconds.
    3. Wake the computer and begin using Safari or Chrome or Mail or any app. Do you see any flickering?

2. fokmik macrumors 68030

Yes, do you fix it?
    Does it happen everywhere or just in safari?

3. ThisBougieLife thread starter macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Happens everywhere.

Okay, after some experimenting I realized what's causing the problem. It shouldn't be happening anyway, but I found out how to stop it.

For the past several days I've had automatic graphics switching disabled because I've been using my computer on my desk with the cord plugged in. When I enabled graphics switching again, the flickering stopped. Repeated tests with it on and off have confirmed this is the cause of the problem.

So does that mean that it will start flickering again when the Vega 20 "kicks in"? I guess I have until January 8th to figure that out.

4. SDColorado macrumors 68030

SDColorado

Yeah, that still shouldn't be happening. I hope that it doesn't indicate an issue with the Vega 20 card on your machine. Like you said, at least you have until January 8 to find out.

5. ThisBougieLife, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

ThisBougieLife thread starter macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Well, I'm an impatient person so I've already started the return process (have until the 19th to send it back with this label). If I do I'm going to re-order the exact same configuration. Hope this doesn't happen again.

6. bobdob macrumors newbie

Why would you not test out the vega graphics now to see if that is the issue? Pretty simple, download a game or 3d benchmark and let her rip. You'll find out real quick.

7. ThisBougieLife thread starter macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

But it only flickers when I wake the computer from sleep (repeated testing has shown me that this is the only time it happens). If I enable graphics switching and the flickering stops then disable it again it will not start to flicker again. It will be flicker-free from then on (regardless of which graphics is being used) until it goes to sleep and wakes up at which point the flickering starts up.

8. 0-0 macrumors member

0-0

No screen flicker on my Vega 20 with the latest update.

9. ThisBougieLife thread starter macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So just to be clear--if you uncheck graphics switching, put the computer to sleep for about 5 seconds, and wake it up, you see no flickering? (Doing this guarantees flickering on mine every time, I've done it like 10 times now. Just trying to make sure I actually do have a lemon).

10. Ploki macrumors 68030

I had a similar issue on an i9/560X for which i got the refund.

However, in my case, flickering happened only on INTERNAL GPU, never on the Radeon. For you it seems to have the opposite.

It never happened if i disabled "automatically adjust brightness" - try toying with that option as well.

I got the refund because "Apple engineering couldn't figure out a solution after 50 days"
    I performed a system dump for them on a wiped mac, clean install, and was able to consistently replicate the issue. But in my case, software updates didn't affect it. It dragged through 2 versions of OS.

11. ThisBougieLife thread starter macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Thanks for sharing that. Automatically adjust brightness seems to have no effect on mine--whether it's on or off, it still flickers.

Oh well, I'm returning it this morning. I will take a chance and get the same computer again and hope it doesn't have the same problem. I loved this computer until yesterday. It was definitely better than my 2016 model.

12. Ploki macrumors 68030

I think that's a safer bet - i was okay with mine, but flicker was just the first sign of trouble.

13. SDColorado macrumors 68030

SDColorado

I honestly don't think you will have the same issue with the replacement one. It sounds like your current MBP is problematic. That shouldn't be happening. I think you will find the replacement does not behave that way.