Vegan Activists Confront Family Fishing For Dinner At Florida Lake

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Hopefully next time the headline reads: "Animal rights activist gets knocked the **** out after harassing a family fishing in a lake"
Many years ago I was at Disney World waiting in a huge group to board a boat. (I can't remember the Disney park.)

Anyway the gates opened and we all moved forward walking over a long bridge that emptied at the boat's brow. I don't know what triggered this really tall guy beside to me to get pissed, but he shouted "hey hey hey" and put is hand on my shoulder (deltoid) to shove me. I was just minding my own business. He must have been off balance to start with because when he tried to push me I didn't even move but he nearly fell over himself. It happened so quickly I didn't even know what was going on.

So I pointed at him and said, "if you push me one more time, I'll pick you up and throw your ass in that water!" He stood there with a wtf look on his face and I walked away like a boss. lol I hate public ***holes.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Thanks for explaining why you have a Trump Avatar. :D Note: While I might entertain the vegan message, I don't support this method if this is their primary way of trying to change minds.
This is a good point. There are actually some good, reasonable arguments for a vegan diet, or even just cuttting back the amount of animal products one consumes. Yet, these failures are choosing to irritate the people who's minds they want to change instead of putting forth these valid arguments.

Why not just stand there and hand out copies of Forks Over Knives...far more effective and way less obnoxious.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Killing fish is wrong. Fish feel pain and have emotions, just like humans. That is a scientific consensus. This family has the right and responsibility to protect the fish. Sometimes things have been legal that are not just, like not letting women vote and slavery.

Anyone who doesn't see this is ignorant. I can't believe how close minded everyone is here.

Shame on the activist too. He probably killed the fish anyways chucking it 25 yards into the water.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Killing fish is wrong. Fish feel pain and have emotions, just like humans. That is a scientific consensus. This family has the right and responsibility to protect the fish. Sometimes things have been legal that are not just, like not letting women vote and slavery.

Anyone who doesn't see this is ignorant. I can't believe how close minded everyone is here.

Shame on the activist too. He probably killed the fish anyways chucking it 25 yards into the water.
Well,I can respect your opinion,even if I do not share it. If you do not want to kill anything,and you're happy with that,I won't force you to kill a fish or shoot a deer. But just like you,I have the rights to live as my family done for hundreds of years. I accept your choice not to kill animals,and I respect your right to choose what you do,but do you respect my rights to fish in my own water,or hunt on my own land?

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden

Yeah, and it feels no pain when a pike bites half of its abdomen off and it flopping around in the water with its intestines out? Feel free to give the normal "its nature" and then add "humans are not a part of the nature since we have an active choice" respons.

Personally i think humans ARE a part of the animal food chain even though we have a choice of what we are eating.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
@JesperA
Well,I can respect your opinion,even if I do not share it. If you do not want to kill anything,and you're happy with that,I won't force you to kill a fish or shoot a deer. But just like you,I have the rights to live as my family done for hundreds of years. I accept your choice not to kill animals,and I respect your right to choose what you do,but do you respect my rights to fish in my own water,or hunt on my own land?

I'm just repeating what I learned on YouTube.

Ok, being serious now, I had to get that out of my system. IMO harassing two guys minding their own business for fishing is ludicrous. Fish do not have feelings "just like humans" and Fishing=/=Slavery. Do plants have feelings because they grow better when exposed to music?

I don't think the world will ever accept veganism and it's a pretty stupid cause to waste your time on. In terms of animal cruelty activism, there are much bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) than two guys quietly fishing.

I too respect people's decision to not eat meat. But it's not a decision that should be forced upon anyone.

AsherN

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
Canada
The activists are complete a**holes. But those 2 guys fishing are also asshats. How about you bring a cooler full of ice and put the fish int it? The cold will slow down their metabolism and not have them suffocate on a hot pier.

Reactions: VulchR and z970mp

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
The cold will slow down their metabolism and not have them suffocate on a hot pier.
Does that really work on fish? I know it works on crustaceans but fish? Still feels like suffering to me. A bolt stunner or neck snapper seem to be less painful

z970mp

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2017
Digital Ocean
And so the vegan, liberal, Tumblr, Steven Universe, anti-America, Millennial brats strike again. :D

Granted, the guys just keeping the fish on the pavement like that was a stupid move too, but that's beside the point.

Just thought I'd insert my 1 1/2 cents. Back to the PowerPC forums I go.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
That was just pure cringe. Any group that has a team shirt and their own chant is, by default, a red flag that you're about to witness the worst in society.

I've often thought about going vegetarian. Not because I love vegetables, but strictly due to the idea that in order for me to live, something else has to die. Not a fan. And in many ways, I don't eat certain types of animals because of this, nor would I ever be able to eat anything I ever first saw alive.

The problem is I just really like cheeseburgers. So the turmoil must continue.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
@JesperA

I'm just repeating what I learned on YouTube.

Ok, being serious now, I had to get that out of my system. IMO harassing two guys minding their own business for fishing is ludicrous. Fish do not have feelings "just like humans" and Fishing=/=Slavery. Do plants have feelings because they grow better when exposed to music?

I don't think the world will ever accept veganism and it's a pretty stupid cause to waste your time on. In terms of animal cruelty activism, there are much bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) than two guys quietly fishing.

I too respect people's decision to not eat meat. But it's not a decision that should be forced upon anyone.
Exactly

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
This is a good point. There are actually some good, reasonable arguments for a vegan diet, or even just cuttting back the amount of animal products one consumes. Yet, these failures are choosing to irritate the people who's minds they want to change instead of putting forth these valid arguments.

Why not just stand there and hand out copies of Forks Over Knives...far more effective and way less obnoxious.
Yah, that old saw about catching more flies with honey than vinegar is still true.

One doesn’t really convert people by haranguing them. Or by silencing them either.

Honestly though, that bunch couldn’t sell me my favorite chocolate, even if they unwrapped a piece and held it out to me while carrying on about how it’s better for me than diet soda.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Yah, that old saw about catching more flies with honey than vinegar is still true.

One doesn’t really convert people by haranguing them. Or by silencing them either.

Honestly though, that bunch couldn’t sell me my favorite chocolate, even if they unwrapped a piece and held it out to me while carrying on about how it’s better for me than diet soda.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ejsp.1983/abstract

Despite recognizing the need for social change in areas such as social equality and environmental protection, individuals often avoid supporting such change. Researchers have previously attempted to understand this resistance to social change by examining individuals' perceptions of social issues and social change. We instead examined the possibility that individuals resist social change because they have negative stereotypes of activists, the agents of social change. Participants had negative stereotypes of activists (feminists and environmentalists), regardless of the domain of activism, viewing them as eccentric and militant. Furthermore, these stereotypes reduced participants' willingness to affiliate with ‘typical’ activists and, ultimately, to adopt the behaviours that these activists promoted. These results indicate that stereotypes and person perception processes more generally play a key role in creating resistance to social change.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Hmmmm,
I think the Neanderthals were hunting about 250,000 years ago. Modern humans started farming about 8,000 years ago.
Where I agree that veggies are very healthy, I feel that meat is very healthy as well. Except for seafood. That should stay in the sea.