Vegan bride bans meat-eating guests,

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 26, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/vegan-bri...uRPBoQmHMgcbFsN-_84HSFlkSQ9sWhv8MuGLM1no7CW_s
    good way to keep the guest list short :p

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I'm confused - what's the problem?

Don't agree and don't care for it?
    Simply don't go and let her know why you didn't.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I don't drink, honestly I would LOVE to try a vegan diet :eek:. but this girl is obviously a bit on the far side trying to make her guest swear off meat:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

No booze.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2019 ---
    Exactly.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Absolutely my vote also.

I'm always amazed at how many people don't realize how totally amazing plant based and/or vegan food can really be.

I think it's mainly just a lack of exposure to it.
    Hopefully that keeps changing - as I see a lot of Americans that could use some vegetables in their life.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

not really cheap unless you cook your own and then you really kind of need someone to show you the ropes......

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Definitely no booze.

9. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Vegetables are more expensive than meat?

Wow!

Not where I live.

I have to ask, what kind of cheaply raised and reared meat do you consume that it is cheaper than vegetables?
    Also, grilling a steak takes more skill than cooking a few sprouts… or asparagus. ;)

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Bride wants to serve a vegan meal at her reception? No problem with that.
    Bride doesn't want alcohol at her reception? No problem with that.
    Bride wants me to convert to veganism? Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

That was my thought also - lol

Is this person eating only at Jack in the Box or something?
    Grade "Z" expired meat from the "please dispose soon" bin at Safeway?

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's her day but I think her future husband needs to stop and think for a second

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Maybe if the only met you eat is frozen diced rabbit (which my ex and I once had to do when we were starting out because we were short of money).

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Read that post again. Vegan RESTAURANTS are expensive here. That’s why I mentioned cooking

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Definitely no booze is a worse situation. My bros and I were all still imbibers when my sister married a dairy farmer up here. I knew the area from childhood, but not the township nor county particularly well. So we drive up from NYC for the wedding and hit the general store figuring to acquire a few sixpacks to keep things chill until time to show up for rehearsal of our roles in the wedding party... and we tour the store, and we tour the store, and we tour.... so finally one bro steps up to the deli counter where the owner was slicing some ham, and asks "Excuse me, where are the beer coolers?"

The guy looks at him over bifocals and says those terrible words, "You must be new around here."

Dry township, dry county. Complete. No beer, no nada. Yep. Tea, coffee and a glorious cake were the highlights of what got served next day at the (very pleasant) reception hosted by the ladies of the village church. I spent some time wondering what the hell my sister had got herself into.

In retrospect, I'm surprised some of us didn't fall out, over abrupt withdrawal from accustomed amounts of ethanol. One bro had a pint of vodka which did not go far on shares, although that was remedied to some extent later that first evening by a run into a "reasonable" county. The township itself stayed dry until the late 1990s, when beer could be sold retail in shops but there are no pubs to this day.

Anyway even after we sibs had quit drinking, there was booze on tap for the guests at wedding receptions that any of us had later had anything to do with helping to plan or provision. We would all remember "forever" making that grand circuit of the only store in town: two coolers, one for sodas and one for dairy products. We declined to be in charge of anyone else's beverage plan and so provided reasonable amounts of all manner of beverages at those later weddings.

16. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

No booze. Without question.

Now, while I could live without meat, the idea of forgoing cheese is not one I would ever willingly entertain.

17. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Most people already don't really give a **** that someone is getting married. It's nice and something to celebrate, sure. But do you REALLY care?

Care enough to pay for the flight to that destination? Care enough to buy a new outfit for it? Care enough for the nights in a hotel? And then care enough to do this for multiple people every year?

Nah. This woman is doing everyone a favor and giving them an easy out from having to go and indulge her on an already selfish day. But no one cares enough about someone's "special day" to change their entire lifestyle for it. Hiring a babysitter is already enough of a lifestyle strain in order to be part of the event.

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

FUN FACT: Absolutely nobody wants to go to a wedding except possibly the parents of the bride and groom. Invite nobody, save the expense and headache.

19. BoxerGT2.5, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Lettuce and broccoli are fantastic at soaking up alcohol. If they serve cabbage and asparagus the bathroom is gonna be down right potent.

20. cube macrumors P6

21. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

I wouldn't go, but would send a case of SPAM as a gift.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Or maybe a monthly subscription to a “meat of the month” club.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Butcherbox.com it's delicious!!!!!

24. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Great advice.

I hate going to weddings, so if this happened to me, I would love to use this excuse.

Actually, I try to live a vegan-free lifestyle, but I occasionally cheat.

25. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Very well then, their wedding, their rules.

If carnivores and omnivores are offended, just don't go there. Problem solved.