Vegan bride bans meat-eating guests,

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
I hate going to weddings
I have to admit I basically do too.

They are without question my least favorite thing to go to at this point.

I think the problem is I’ve seen so many people get divorced by now that all the stuff that happens at the wedding feels pretty much like total BS.

Don’t give me wrong I wish them the best, but some of the crap to get said up at the altar just seems to come out of non-reality land

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I'm confused - what's the problem?

Don't agree and don't care for it?
Simply don't go and let her know why you didn't.
According to the article if you don’t adopt a vegan lifestyle, you’re not allowed.

Her life, her choice I suppose... though I wonder how the grooms family/friends feel about this.

It’s one thing to have a vegan menu, it’s another to disinvite anyone not willing to be a vegan for the rest of their life.

Personally I wouldn’t want to be friends with someone who holds our friendship hostage over something like this.

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
According to the article if you don’t adopt a vegan lifestyle, you’re not allowed.

Her life, her choice I suppose...
Yes - her life, her wedding, her choice..
I agree, it's probably a bit heavy handed and not something I would do...

That said..
People doing this sort of stuff with their own wedding?

Great!
Your wedding - your rules - go for it.

As for the groom - I would presume he's aware of all these sorts of things about the person he's about to marry.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Yes - her life, her wedding, her choice..
I agree, it's probably a bit heavy handed and not something I would do...

That said..
People doing this sort of stuff with their own wedding?

Great!
Your wedding - your rules - go for it.

As for the groom - I would presume he's aware of all these sorts of things about the person he's about to marry.
Well he’s marrying her, so I assume he’d know too. I also assume he wants his family and friends there / his family/friends want to be there ans I imagine they’re not all vegans. If a spouse has this level of vitriol around his/her opinions, I’d be concerned for the long term health of the marriage. In the case of this couple, I hope they don’t disagree on anything, ever.

It’s amazes me how some people are incapable of interacting/associating with people with whom they disagree.

None of us is any position to tell the bride what to do, but I feel for people who wanted to attend this wedding.

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
Well he’s marrying her, so I assume he’d know too. I also assume he wants his family and friends there / his family/friends want to be there ans I imagine they’re not all vegans. If a spouse has this level of vitriol around his/her opinions, I’d be concerned for the long term health of the marriage. In the case of this couple, I hope they don’t disagree on anything, ever.

None of us is any position to tell the bride what to do, but I feel for people who wanted to attend this wedding.
I don't really disagree with any of that..

I'm just not even sure why we are talking about it..
Does anyone know how or why this became a news story?

This feels like it's even below TMZ level of "news" quite honestly.

I mean - crazy dumb weird s*** is happening all the time that doesn't end up getting in the news like this.
This makes "clickbait" look good - lol

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

I mean - crazy dumb weird s*** is happening all the time that doesn't end up getting in the news like this.
it would fit under "social" issues...............girl is nuts.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pumpkindale
I would reply to the invite that I'm not attending, then bring a barbecue and grill up some nice burgers and pork chops at the entrance of the venue.

It's BYOB, though, because liquor laws are nothing to casually flout.

Militant Omnivores. It's not just a cool band name.

Reactions: hulugu and jkcerda

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I would reply to the invite that I'm not attending, then bring a barbecue and grill up some nice burgers and pork chops at the entrance of the venue.

It's BYOB, though, because liquor laws are nothing to casually flout.

Militant Omnivores. It's not just a cool band name.
Why not go one step further? Apply for a food truck permit. Test the dedication of the guests as they exit.

Reactions: BoxerGT2.5

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I dunno - which is worse. No meat or no booze?
Both suck - any wedding we get invited to that pulls that crap just lost two guests. Gimme a break. vegan diets are soooooo boring and lame. You cant possibly be happy and satisfied eating like a rabbit all the time.

Reactions: jkcerda

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Both suck - any wedding we get invited to that pulls that crap just lost two guests. Gimme a break. vegan diets are soooooo boring and lame. You cant possibly be happy and satisfied eating like a rabbit all the time.
And when was the last time you had a vegetarian meal, never mind a full blown vegan meal?
No, seriously. When? Making a claim like that leaves you looking a tad, well, shall I say, not very well informed.

And before you get on your high horse, no I am not a Vegan nore a Vegetarian… but I also don't go through life with blinkers on.
[doublepost=1551273478][/doublepost]
This basically nailed it. Though I have enjoyed the fact that evidently many posters here love them some booze.
Guilty! ;)

Wedding food is usually over rated in any case.
[doublepost=1551273591][/doublepost]

Well look who posted this thread. Our favourite MacRumours Click Bait thread creator.
He has a knack. ;)

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I guess there is nothing wrong with setting your preferences for your wedding day.... If that's something you don't want to commit to then simply tell her you won't be attending..... I mean she told people beforehand so you have the option. This would have been news if she had sprung this on people the day of the wedding and kicked people out.

I personally would not be going nor would I be offended... but she would definitely not be getting a wedding gift from me, so her loss.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Her wedding, her choice.
However she stupidly lost an amazing opportunity to make the point to carnivores that “vegan food tastes great” by having them eat vegan food. She could’ve converted a few people, while now I am pretty sure that those who were left out will organize an insane tasty barbecue.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Her wedding, her choice.
However she stupidly lost an amazing opportunity to make the point to carnivores that “vegan food tastes great” by having them eat vegan food. She could’ve converted a few people, while now I am pretty sure that those who were left out will organize an insane tasty barbecue.
that's what happens when you get "Bridezillas"

But I agree. My cousin and his wife are vegetarians. when they got married they had a vegetarian wedding. But there was none of this rhetoric, in fact, they actually didn't even say it was a vegetarian wedding. They just provided only vegetarian based dishes.

it was actually really good.

this story is just about someone who has decided to use their wedding as a soapbox. Fine, it's their wedding. But at the same time, great way of pissing off friends and family'

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
And when was the last time you had a vegetarian meal, never mind a full blown vegan meal?
No, seriously. When? Making a claim like that leaves you looking a tad, well, shall I say, not very well informed.

And before you get on your high horse, no I am not a Vegan nore a Vegetarian… but I also don't go through life with blinkers on.
[doublepost=1551273478][/doublepost]
Guilty! ;)

Wedding food is usually over rated in any case.
[doublepost=1551273591][/doublepost]
Well look who posted this thread. Our favourite MacRumours Click Bait thread creator.
He has a knack. ;)
Agreed.

that's what happens when you get "Bridezillas"

But I agree. My cousin and his wife are vegetarians. when they got married they had a vegetarian wedding. But there was none of this rhetoric, in fact, they actually didn't even say it was a vegetarian wedding. They just provided only vegetarian based dishes.

it was actually really good.

this story is just about someone who has decided to use their wedding as a soapbox. Fine, it's their wedding. But at the same time, great way of pissing off friends and family'
A school and college friend of mine had a vegetarian wedding (not vegan) around a quarter of a century ago, and the vegetarian food, drink (seriously good local beers) and music (local and extremely good trad musicians, she had married into a creative and artistic family, and she herself wore black) were all excellent.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Very well then, their wedding, their rules.

If carnivores and omnivores are offended, just don't go there. Problem solved.
just offended??

”she made the decision to disinvite any guest who did not adopt a vegan lifestyle permanently.”

their wedding, their food but not her life or business to ask people to change their ”appetite”.

i quess when i keep a wedding party (if ever), everybody must become gays. me and my bf are going to ask every heteros to divorce and find a same sex partner permanently.

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Dry township, dry county. Complete. No beer, no nada. Yep...
Oh good god. My idea of hell. :eek:

You get this a lot in southern Appalachia. The thing I find truly interesting is that their have been actual studies of compliance based on counting empties in trash cans, and in general people usually flout the law in these dry counties, usually getting alcohol from adjacent counties. I just do not understand why they retain the law if nobody obeys it.

Reactions: LizKat and hulugu