Vegan bride bans meat-eating guests,

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 26, 2019.

1. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd go just to watch everyone lose it when they discover I've smuggle in some venison jerky.

2. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Kind of like the speed limit :).

Doesn't dry just mean they can't sell it? You can still go to a town down the road and buy if you would like and bring it home. I lived in a dry county for a while, and that is what most people did.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2019 ---
    Love that stuff. Just takes so much meat and so much time to make :).

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

:eek: You killed Bambi!!!

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Damn right and he tastes delicious. :D

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

i prefer to shoot deer with a camera, but I love venison. Hypocritical, i know, ... :oops:

6. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Reminds me of this.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hey I love a good burger but I'm not about to work at a slaughter house. ;)

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Or brought them an Omaha Steaks gift basket.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

We knew about the dry county, and so we filled up the rental car trunk with some cheap styrofoam coolers filled with beer, and those "in the know" would wander out and grab one. To keep things simple, we jammed a plastic trash can in there that we borrowed from the B&B's kitchen, and had everyone ditch their empties in there—no reason to make a mess.

So, late that night and knowing that we've got an early flight, I realize that I can't find a recycle bin, so I apologize to Mother Earth and throw all those empties along with the coolers in the dumpster, and go to sleep.

I awake to a cacophonous shatter bang shatter shatter, as the trash truck dips that dumpster over and about eight zillion bottles come tumbling out. The driver stops, and he and his partner are looking in the truck.

At the same time, the B&B owner comes out with an exasperated expression, and throws her hands up—What was that? The guys point to the giant pile of bottles at the bottom, and it becomes clear that they think it's funny that the pretty B&B up the road just housed a frat party.

She is not happy, in fact she's mortified.

And, I'm watching from my room telling my buddy that we need to get the hell out of there before we get blamed.

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Time to get up!
    We gotta' roll!

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well the Catskills are the northwesternmost extension of Appalachia, so... and yeah, there have been more than a few drunk driving citations handed out to people driving over to Oneonta to imbibe and then having trouble staying out of the creeks on the way back over here.

We even got a new sheriff that way one year... he was off duty while drinking but headed back and managed to knock a house trailer off its foundations while, uh... "swerving to avoid a deer." People read that one in the paper and figured okay they knew where that deer came from, a place called "desperation". Someone primaried him the next year. We eventually solved all that sort of thing by electing a true believin' Mormon sheriff who didn't drink alcohol even when off duty.

And yep, when I first moved up here, there was a guy down the road lived right about where the township changes to one that was not dry. In fact his outbuildings might have been on our side of the line. Anyway he ran a "produce stand" on his side of the line, with a fine supply of freshly harvested cases of beer bought from a supermarket 15 miles farther east. He'd run into town a couple times a week to re-up and stash those in his coolers in a spare office room off his dairy barn, so he'd have enough to get the dry township through the weekend. Unfortunately for those depending on him, he drank up any profits and went out of biz before the town finally said enough a'ready with the drunk driving stats, buy it sober locally and drink it at home.

Then there's a Chinese one, not four days but 12 courses and enough of everything to make you wonder how the place doesn't fall down from the weight of all that food. I've never cooked for one of those, of course. Closest I got was helping a Chinese pal at work and a few more friends make 500 dumplings while preparing for an informal party at his place when he got engaged. We had that place covered with flour by time we got done there, took another shift to get the place decent for the party!

12. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I wish all weddings had this stipulation: I would never have to attend another self-indulged snooze fest ever again.

I have vegan/vegetarian friends and they hate extremism like this with a passion. Just plain stupid.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Totally agree.
    The extremism here is the story, not anything about the vegan angle really.

You could insert any sort of religious or other very firmly held belief and the story would be just as nuts.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for people who are vegetarian/vegan, but I'm not going to be forced into agreeing to stop eating meat to attend a wedding.

I once attended a Jain wedding, and the food was great. But, if I want to get some chicken tikka the next day, I'm doing it.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I have some vegetarian kin but they mind their own plates and let you do the same. At weddings they just prowl the salad bars if there no veggie entrees at a sit down dinner, generally having defaulted on the entree choice and planning on just ignoring it. I always try to sit near one of them in that case.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I won't go to a wedding with a cash bar, if they're serving only plants it's a hard pass, no need to dis-invite.

17. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

You got that totally wrong. She disinvited guests. Depending on how much of a heads up she/they gave invited guests, she ruined their plans. People may have set away time and changed other plans. They may have booked accommodations, paid for travel arrangements, and arranged for babysitting services.

If this was reversed and someone said invited guests to their wedding had to early only meat and commit to that for the remainder of their lives... Well, that wouldn't happen. I never hear about carnivores being so pig-headed and strident about others' eating decisions.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hope the women kept the tags on their dresses.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I do the same with a colleague. She's a vegetarian, and she'll just slide the meat over on my plate, and sometimes I'll tell her before she digs in if something has meat. So, one time, after dinner, the waiter brings chocolate cake, and as she's talking to someone else, I swipe it.

—Did you take my cake?
    —It has bacon in it.
    —Are you serious?
    The waiter wanders by, and she motions to him and asks — Is there bacon in the cake?
    The waiter, bewildered, looks over at me as I'm trying to shove a mouthful down my gullet, nodding my head yes.

20. turbineseaplane, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019

turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I think maybe you missed my meaning.
    The extremism of what she did is the problem here and the real story.

The vegan part could be interchanged with any other firmly held beliefs and we would have essentially the same story.

Do you see what I’m saying?

What she did is nothing that’s common among vegans necessarily.
    Anyone trying to enforce any very strongly held belief to this level is the real story and problem here.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2019 ---
    For example.
    Just redo the title to:

“Religious person of variant X bans non religious guests from wedding unless they all agree to become religious type X themselves.”

This is not a veganism thing - it’s an extremism thing

21. chown33 macrumors 604

So-Called Journalist Fakes Bacon in Cake.

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Fake Roast.

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

That depends, if I'm driving I ain't drinking... if the vegan meals all have large amount of onions... well it's safer for everyone if I just stay at home. :oops:

Oh he should know quite well by now what are her taboos with oral sex...

yup, I went there. She might not, and might not want him there either!

24. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

Where I used to live it was easy to buy Quorn products. Very tasty and low fat. Unfortunately I cant buy these products in the country I now live in.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Wish I’d used this for my wedding, might not have spent £30k if I’d thought of this!