Venezuela dares U.S. to put it on terror list

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Mar 15, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Just saw this article on CNN, thought it was interesting:

Link

2. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It's a shame for many venezuelans that their beautiful country is ruled by that despicable man.
    If Noriega in Panama didn't last more than a Day after the US entered there, Chavez's will last less...
    ________
    teen vid

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I really wish Chavez and Bush would just meet up in the parking lot after school and throw down already :mad:

4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Its a shame for many Americans that their beautiful country is ruled by a despicable man too.:p

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Full circle in only 4 posts. A new record.

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

juan carlos said it best - "¿por qué no te callas?"

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I've always found Chavez to be somewhat of an enigma - I am not sure how to characterize him, or his motivations.

I am still at a loss to figure out whether his rhetoric is the result of shrewd calculation or of being somewhat unhinged.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the US backed coup against him was a major turning point in his behavior.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That would probably do it.

10. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Care to enlighten those who don't know Spanish? ;)

11. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

The US "terror list" is a bit of a joke anyway isn't it? Does anyone but the US care about it?

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"I dare you. No wait......I double dare you. Hah!"

13. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Um, well, I would say that the fact that he is talking about it says something...

As far as I understand it, the terror list says a lot about what kind of business we will and will not conduct with a country. Not that we have a lot to do with a country once it gets to that point anyway...

EDIT: Here is what our Gov actually says on the issue: Link

14. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The King of Spain said to him: "why don't you shut up?", in an international meeting.
    ________
    vaporizer affiliates

15. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ah, thanks!

16. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Chavez has been a big mouth, even before the "coup", he needs an enemy to justify his inefficiencies, now if this materializes will give him more "justifications" to keep his mouth open, and will blame all the troubles he has internally in Venezuela to whatever happens after this.

The venezuelan oil is so heavy that the only refineries in the world that are capable to process it are here in the USA, so all his saying about stopping the oil trade with the USA is just a way to generate media coverage, and maybe to "justify" the increase the oil price.

Remember there is not batman without the joker, nor superman without lexluthor...He needs to have an "enemy" in order to justify all the BS he mentions.

The sad part of this is that he has many people supporting him around 40% of the population:
    -very few of them are part of the "government" and are rich now.
    - some of them just sympathize with him because he is different and talks like them, and makes the poor people in the country to feel part of the country, even they don't receive any benefits at all, just because he mentions them on national tv.
    - Others of their supporters are taking the opportunity to make money during his regime by doing business either with the government or on their own -> Cineros Group.
    Venezuela exports almost everything from the US, there is no big industry there, most of the things are commercialized by buy cheap and sell expensive, minimal production.
    ________
    Yamaha Venture picture

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

While there are some things in your post I agree with, the above is totally without merit.

It's important to look at the regimes who held power in Venezuela before. Their overriding concern was to rob from the poor and give to the rich. Chavez is at least building schools and clinics and housing for the poor.

He's making a lot of mistakes but robbing the poor isn't one of them.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is there a reason to put Venezuela on the terror list?

19. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

The guy is an attention wh0re. I don't blame him for hating the US government, but shut up already.

20. Queso macrumors G4

Sounds a bit familiar, can't quite put my finger on it....

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's in situations like this that I love Chavez.

If Chavez and Uribe are already planning on discussing the matter to solve any problems, why does Bush feel he has to insert himself into the situation? I know diplomacy isn't something Bush is familiar with, but maybe he should let other people handle their own problems. They seem to be getting along fine without him.

22. McGiord, Mar 15, 2008

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The previous regimes in Venezuela weren't good, but that doesn't justify Chavez as a better one.

He hasn't built anything, that's pure ********, nothing works in Venezuela like he makes the people believe outside the Country. He has given more money to other countries than what he has given to the venezuelans:
    - Cuba
    - Nicaragua
    - Bolivia
    - Ecuador
    - The Mexican contender who lost the elections
    - Cheap gas for the poors in the Bronx and Boston, while the people in Venezuela is struggling to eat, have minimal health attention and dying with infectious diseases that were eliminated in the past.

And he worst of all: the rampant crime. You get robbed for anything, kidnapped, and the law enforcement are more dangerous than the criminals, so living there is not pleasant.

The sad true about Venezuela is that most of the years after the independence from Spain in 1810, the country has been ruled by dictators and former military guys.
    So the people is kind of used to have a dictator ruling the country while the people with economical power keeps their standard of living.

Not that I wanted it to be like this but it is: Poor will always be poor, so they "feel" that they are better with Chavez. They feel good because if they go to a rally they will eat chicken, or a red t-shirt plus $20 if they vote for him, that's not solving anything, that isn't splitting the oil dividends into the people.
    He says that been rich is bad, and that it's good to be poor, what a joke!

The Chavez government has had more money than any other former government, and what have they done? Pure propaganda.
    However has been very good in obtaining what he wants : control all the institutions and be surrounded by his people to protect him and keep him in a safe position as president.
    Be careful of what wikipedia says about Venezuela, it's all biased.

I think only Chavez and his supporters shall be put on that kind of list.
    Not everyone in Venezuela agree with his government, nor his sayings.

He gave money to the FARCS, and allows drug traffic.
    ________
    Ford Del Rio picture

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

So are you contending the fact that Chavez has built thousands of free hospitals and clinics in poor neighborhoods (were there previously was no medical care available), or are you writing that off as propaganda?

What about the rise of literacy among the Venezuelan people? The fall in the infant mortality rate?

Is Chavez perfect? Of course not. Far from it. But he isn't the evil dictator the right wing in this country likes to make him out to be.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do you have any evidence for these allegations from an unbiased source?

Note as the US and Venezuela have issues with each other, I certainly don't count the American press (or the Venezuelan press) as an unbiased source.

25. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

"I triple dog dare you"

I had to:p