Venezuela withdraws from WB/IMF; seizes control of oil

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, May 1, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

While neither is unexpected, I wonder how the world is letting Chavez build up his little kingdom without much more than a peep. Not much of a difference from any other dictator...

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well that's just the thing with sovereign states. You just can't go bustin' in and kicking out a legal government just because you don't like their policies. Can you? :p

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Who's going to stop him and why does it matter? Because he hates our imperialism? Or is it because he's friends with Castro?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

By what definition do you call him a dictator?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Because Chavez only got re-elected with 63% of the vote I guess.

Unlike the USA, where the incumbent President was returned to power by...

Umm

Nevermind.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

That's an easy one. He wasn't elected by the American people.:p

7. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

It is his sacred right to do as he wishes in his country, and nobody in the world has any say in whatever he may do - as long as he doesn't invade other countries. Only the Venezuelans have the right to alter their government, even if by force. And btw. Chavez, whether we like it or not, won 2 elections fair and square - and it was certified so, by international observers. We may not like him, but we can go suck it up. It's up to the Venezuelans, not "the world".

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Rule by decree passed for Chavez

9. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

What's funny about this, is that the opposition has no representation since they themselves boycotted the elections... well, whose fault is that? The elections were totally fair - international observers unanimously agreed.

Of course, the other thing is that the "opposition" had no hope whatsoever of winning - as they are despised by the majority population... after all, they illegally launched a coup against Chavez when Chavez was chosen democratically, and in this they had the help from our CIA. What a bunch of losers - and what losers our CIA and meddling foreign policy is. Any association with such crimes of course is poison for the electorate - no wonder the "opposition" had no hope to get voted in.

Bottom line - let's assume Chavez is a dictator. So what? Let the Venezuelans deal with him. It's their internal affair. And meanwhile we should prosecute those in the U.S. who helped launch the illegal coup in Venezuela against Chavez. Again we meddled with disastrous results, which merely spur those like Chavez to then overreach and assign themselves dictatorial powers to defend from CIA inspired plots. Best we don't meddle in other countries affairs. Ever.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We would prefer to have a U.S.- and business-friendly right wing dictator installed and under external control.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Didn't we just take out a Business-friendly right-wing dictator who was believed to be under external control, over in Iraq?

Sure, Hussein didn't seem to like the U.S. of A. too damn much, but hell, that's a fad these days!:confused:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Does not establish anything. He's done everything according to Venezuela's constitution. The opposition disqualified themselves voluntarily.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We can. We shouldn't, but we can. And we do. And it usually doesn't end well, but we keep doing it anyway. Iran was already on the table. NK, which actually can be a threat, is not for some reason. Hugo is just talking because his people hate us more than we do, and they like him for it, but we can't really do anything about it, nor should we, and he knows it.

In other news, Giuliani Blasts Chavez Even Though His Firm Does Business With Him.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I like Chavez. Funny how he supplies some poor in OUR country, the United States, with heating oil because our own government doesn't. I think the righties are focused on the wrong dictator here. The one they should be looking after is our own President (and I use that term loosely), who was put into office the first time by a judicial decision, and the second time by tampering with votes. Yeah, and Chavez is the dictator? :rolleyes:

Chavez has done so much for Venezuela it is incredible. He has done a very good job of closing the income gap between those in poverty and the rich, he has built numerous free clinics in poor neighborhoods, and stood up against the imperial and tyrannical US.

15. Queso macrumors G4

With a totally discredited and US-centric figure such as Wolfowitz running the World Bank, I'm surprised more countries haven't done this yet. Chavez is in an excellent position. Venezuela has no debt with the World Bank nor the IMF. If he wishes to use the wealth of his country to give the countries of Latin America a choice as to where they borrow money, let him.

Also, just to make the point, I witnessed Chavez attending a meeting in our street last time he was in London (the Venezuelan Embassy is about fifty yards from my home). That man is clearly loved by South Americans. There were Columbians, Peruvians, Cubans and even Argentinians in that crowd, all cheering him on.

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

When did that become a virtue?

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Back in the 19th century... Das Kapital eh? :p

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think it establishes that he wants complete power. The article said he wants to "scrap term limits" and bring key industries under state control. Whatever the opposition did or not doesn't change the path he's on.

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's so he can better serve the poor. :rolleyes:

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

But the question is whether that is the article interpreting it as such or whether that's really the case.

I would prefer to read what other outlets have to say about Chavez before I make a final determination. I wouldn't depend on a single source for accurate reporting you know?

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Good. So post some pro/con Chavez stuff.

wiki

This fact should be enough for some members here to condemn him as a lunatic.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Oh come on. Our own President actually belives God told him to **** up the Middle East. I hate religion, yes, but what Chavez does is nowhere near how fanatical our president is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1586978,00.html

It always has been. People that belong to selfish political parties, such as yourself, don't know it. Why is it a virtue for 2% of the population to control the majority of wealth? What I don't get about people who are ultra-right is that they don't realize they aren't part of that 2%, so everything they believe in politically will not benefit them in the long run. It will only serve to make their lives worse.

But hey, go ahead and believe in lassez-faire capitalism, even when it has failed this country on an extreme level before.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm waiting for a candidate for president here in the US that will withdraw us from the world bank and IMF...

25. Queso macrumors G4

That would never happen. The US sometimes likes to use the World Bank as an economic weapon. It's too useful a tool for controlling countries that may otherwise "get out of line".

Not saying that always happens, but there is precedent aplenty.