Verizon $200 trade in offer. Anyone know how it works?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by griz, Sep 9, 2014.

1. griz macrumors 6502a

I called Verizon tonight after learning about the $200 trade-in offer. The person I spoke with did not seem to have very much information. The press is saying that the offer is only available on the 16GB model standard 6. But it seems odd that Verizon would limit it to this phone only. Why not a 64GB model for $99 or a 128GB model for $199. If they are giving a $200 gift card, why not a $200 gift card for whatever phone you buy. The rep I spoke with said the offer should be good on the 6+, but that contradicts what I see online in the press.

Also, when do you actually make the trade? If I preorder and take delivery of the phone on the 19th, do I then take the phone into a store to activate it and trade the old phone then? I would hate to get the phone after the pre-order and miss a step related to the trade in and be stuck with my iPhone4.

Has anyone gone into a Verizon store and found out any more about this offer? Please share what you know here.
    Thanks.

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I'm also interested. My wife has an iPhone 4 and trading that in for $200 seems like a no brainer since it can't be worth more than $100 at this point.

If she can trade it in for $200 and upgrade to the 64 GB that would be ideal.

3. SneakersOToole macrumors newbie

I'm also very interested in hearing if anybody finds anything further about this deal.

I would really love to trade in my Verizon 4S for the $200 credit toward a 64gb 6 if possible. Although the fine print specifically says it would be toward the 16gb....

I have an 8gb 4 w/ a cracked back and a 32gb 4s with funky wifi and I'm basically trying to figure out how to get the best trade-in value. I was previously thinking I would just take them into an Apple store, get an apple store gift card for however much they were worth and use the credit toward pre-ordering a 64gb 6. But this Verizon deal sounds like it could potentially be better......

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Tempting but I love my 3.5" iPhones too much to part with them.

5. comptr macrumors 65816

If you have iPhone 5 or 5S don't take them up on their offer as you can get more on ebay or craiglist.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I would also like more details/info about this, as they're scant on VZW's site.

Bc my screen is spider-webbed and this way I wouldn't have to got through the typical hassle of selling a phone to a stranger, especially in a now-saturated market.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Will watch this thread, was going to wait a while to before getting the 6, but with a $200 trade in i can make the move sooner.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Verizon isn't taking back a shattered screen.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'll take that under advisement will all of the authority that I would typically bestow to a random/anonymous online forum poster. Thanks!:rolleyes:

10. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

It says right on the page that the phone has to be in good condition.

11. thiswho macrumors member

Am I blind or is it no longer on their site? Can't seem to find it.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

..."good working condition," to be exact. I did read that (as I'm the one who posted it).

It works, and I think it's good (enough), but it's all in the eyes of the beholder. :)I'm assuming that you neither work for VZW nor have any other insider details, so I'll just see if anyone else does. Thanks for the input though.

----------

Their site has been having all sorts of issues lately, and it looks like it's been updated significantly since earlier this morning. I'd imagine they're including info from yesterday's announcements. You're right though, that link is no longer working.

13. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

14. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I actually feel a little bit sorry for you that you honestly think you can spin a shattered screen into "good working condition." I want whatever you're on.

15. griz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you point to the fine print on Verizon's web site? I know that the various media sources state free 16GB, but that could very well be a way to get page views. Most people don't wants to hear $99 for a 64GB iPhone. They want FREE.
    Also, unless Verizon explicitly states "Offer good on 16GB iPhone 6 Standard only" I would certainly question if it is available on the 64 and 128.
    Heck, I would question it anyway. If they want to keep your business, they should extend the offer to make customers happy.

16. DTMfan macrumors member

iPhone 6 Verizon trade in for upgrade

Looking to get the iPhone 6 along with my wife's. She is available for upgrade and it shows me having to wait another year since I got the 5s. I upgraded for only $30 to go from the 5 to 5s but I suppose that program is gone now.

Has anyone noticed they are advertising to trade in a current iphone and receive credit for it as well as being able to get the 6 for $199 of you continue Your 2 year contract?

Hoping I can do this bc I don't plan to pay full price for this phone. I tried to call them but haven't l been able to get through. Anyone else in the same situation?

17. mac.cali macrumors 65816

It only works if your eligible for an upgrade. Since you're not upgrade eligible, you are required to purchase at full price.

18. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Anyone taking advantage of the Verizon Trade in offer?

I usually preorder thru Apple but with Verizon offering a $200 trade-in, I'm thinking of going thru Verizon this time around. Anyone else taking advantage of this deal? I've had an old iPhone 4 just sitting on my desk for a long time now. I think it's time to liquidate!! $200 seems like a great sell for that thing!

19. Doctorsti macrumors regular

My questions will be:
    1. Will I be able to get $200 for my iphone 4
    2. Can I preorder a 64 or 128GB 6 plus and still use the gift card
    3. Says it could take 2 weeks to get card. Why no virtual gift card?

If it's actually 200 for the 4 and I can preorder and use it I will be preordering through verizon. Between thus and the $340 I got for my 5 I will upgrading for free.

20. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

$200 for 5s only probably. $50 for 4, $100 for 5,

Maybe I am wrong.!!

21. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

According to the vzw rep I spoke to this morning:

1. Yes. Both myself and my dad have the iPhone 4 (I use a 5 but have a 4) and he said we could BOTH do it for our separate lines (we're on separate accounts too).

2. He said we could but I have not seen any documentation confirming this. The publications and media sources I can find say "Verizon offering iPhone 6 for free*" type thing... so they're obviously referring to the 16GB model. When I talked to the rep today he said that it would apply only to the iPhone 6 (not the 6+) but indicated that I could do it for the 128GB model.... grain of salt though.

3. I don't know lol. I don't care... $200 is $200!

If I can get $200 for this old iPhone 4, I can KEEP my iPhone 5 as a backup/insurance and still only pay $230 out of pocket for a 128GB 6!!

----------

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/trade_in_program.html

scroll about 1/2 way down:

----------

I'm glad you mentioned it though. I don't think I want to do the "Edge" thing the more I read about it. I'm still researching though...

22. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Guys, this is nothing special. Verizon has always had a trade-in program. I did this for my iPhone 4 and my sisters iPhone 4s. The $200 is pretty much the standard amount for a phone that is in demand from Verizon.

Now I'm not saying this is bad or anything. Buy I just want to put it out there that this is nothing special. This trade-in will continue to run, it just depends on how much your phone will be worth at the time of trade in. Also if you really want to trade in your phone there are many other online store that will probably give you much better values for your phone.

23. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Thanks for chiming in.

Question since you have experience with this:

Does this have to do with the "Edge" program? I don't want to sign up for Edge... I don't want to upgrade annually and I don't want to make payments on the device... did you have to do Edge to get the trade-in deal?

24. aajeevlin, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I have not read the "new" thing that is going on. As far as my experience goes, for my own iPhone 4, I simply trade it in and got a Verizon gift card for $160 which I used to pay my next month bill. As for my sister, she decided to leave Verizon for good but didn't want to deal with selling her phone online, so she broke her contract, bought a iPhone 5s from the Apple store and trade-in her iPhone 4 to Verzion for around $90 gift card. She then sold the gift card to me and I used it to pay my bill.

Logically I don't see why this has anything to do with EDGE. I mean it's a simple sell me your phone for gift card situation. I think Verizon simply just wants to use this opportunity to make people think they are getting a good deal, which is really not bad, by not having to deal with online scam and such (especially with Craigslist and all).

This is the link I usually use, https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5?c=en-us. You can your phone appraised, then you go into the Verizon store, and walk out with a gift card.

Update: I just run the appraise system, it look like they are doing a promotion right now. They are giving your $40 extra dollars on top of the regular trade in value of $160.

25. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the info and the link!