Verizon 4G = Data + Voice at once?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adversus, Sep 12, 2012.

1. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Is this still a limitation of Verizon's network? Googling couldn't find a definitive answer using the new 4G technology.

I use data + voice quite a bit as I work remotely a lot of the time, and am talking on the phone while reading/writing emails or getting directions.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're on 4G with verizon then my guess is yes.
    If you're away from 4G area and down to 3G then no.

3. zachnelson1 macrumors newbie

It was a chip limitation not network.

data + voice over LTE and 3G is now possible.

4. adversus thread starter macrumors regular

adversus

Is even possible now with the current iPhone 4/4S on Verizon? Or just the newer chip in the iPhone 5?

I've been on ATT since forever.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible on Verizon or sprint with the i4 or 4S currently.
    For the i5 we will have to wait and see it in action.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

nope not posible on 4/4s for verizon still works off cdma. Just on iphone 5 when connected to LTE

7. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Yeah. I put up a thread explaining SVDO last night, the ability to do voice and data over CDMA 3G (aka EV/DO) and it was moved to the "wasteland" by the moderators here.

Yes, you can do voice and data over LTE. Apple did not announce support for SVDO.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1438355

And to jav and others, this thread today is precisely why I put mine up last night. Almost nobody knows the actual facts.

To the OP, you can do voice and data over LTE on Verizon or Sprint.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

LTE ability only on Verizon. Otherwise, on 3G, you can only talk OR data, not both.

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It was confirmed by Apple that the Iphone 5 is SVDO meaning you can talk and surf at the same time even on 3G

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Proof.

11. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

12. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

They said in the keynote speech today that it would support data and voice at the same time on all Carriers . Or was I hearing things ?

13. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Talk + data is possible on CDMA 3G SVDO.

14. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

15. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

My post lagged, when I originally replied there were no additional posts.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, but it isn't deployed.

17. bogatyr macrumors 65816

It is in all the Verizon equipment already - has been for years. Thunderbolt was their first phone which had an SVDO supporting chip - V+Data on 3G was possible then.

18. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

What isn't deployed?!

Correct.

19. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Just to be clear, it's not network side, it's handset side. On Verizon, the Thunderbolt, Rezound, Incredible 4G, and the Galaxy S3 support it (no others I'm aware of). I believe there may be some other models on Sprint that do it, too.

Not all phones from the Thunderbolt forward have it. Depends on what the manufacturer decides to use in the phone.

20. 348SStb macrumors newbie

Let's break this down, please! Let's see if we can determine whether the iPhone 5 will perform simultaneous voice and data on Verizon 3G network (not in LTE mode). Trying to understand if Apple's implementation is actually an SVDO implementation without it really even being talked about. SVDO is never talked about or advertised.

The Apple event stated: "Single chip [for voice and data], single radio, dynamic antenna."

SOME QUESTIONS!

1) What exactly does the single radio do?

2) The "chip" does voice and data. Can someone explain this? Does it do it when in either LTE or 3G (or sub-3G) areas?

3) Is the following scenario possible? Scenario: while in a Verizon 3G area -- the phone will use the radio for data and the LTE chip for voice?

21. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It was a network limitation. It was a limitation of CDMA, which is the 3G network Verizon/Sprint use. LTE however is a GSM based technology so, as with AT&Ts GSM based 3G, Voice and data work simultaneously on Verizon also.

22. 348SStb macrumors newbie

Let's be precise here, please. It seems you have some specific knowledge about the hardware, can you please answer each of my questions individually.

23. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Southernboy, you're missing where this thread went. SVDO circumvents that limitation on CDMA.

I will point out that the Galaxy S3 and the Incredible 4G use the same Qualcomm chipset, the Snapdragon S4. I seem to recall that this was an all-in-one component.

348SStb, whether on LTE or on EV/DO for data (4G and 3G respectively), the phone call is placed over 1xRTT, aka 2G. This is true whether or not it supports SVDO (it's just that without SVDO, on a phone like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus) it isn't able to hold a call on 1xRTT while holding a data session on EV/DO, though it can on LTE.

24. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Indeed it does, very few phones actually use SVDO (only 1 I can think of off the top of my head is Thunderbolt)