Verizon 4G LTE launches Sunday. 4G iPhone around the corner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Dec 2, 2010.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

With Verizon 4G LTE going live Sunday I bet the 4G Verizon iPhone around just the corner! Can't wait!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Christ, we don't need another ****ing thread on the alleged Verizon iPhone.

4G LTE though is going to be remarkable.

3. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Remember 4G LTE is still alleged until Sunday. :D

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I highly doubt a 4G iPhone within the next year. Apple rarely adopts new technology as soon as it comes out (unless it is developed internally). 3G had been out for a long time when the first iPhone came out, yet it was only 2G. Of course, this is only my opinion.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

You know that LTE is for computers only until february I believe, but I know that currently it IS only for computers. They have no handsets that support it.

So your gonna have to wait until at least Feb. I bet we won't see it until June, if then

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Let's see......

1. Verizon is launching LTE network on 36 markets. As far as I can tell, Sprint has Wi-max network out right now over 68 markets with download speed of 9MB or higher.

2. Verizon is only launching air cards. No handsets until 2011 and it's not until like Q2 of 2011.

3. Apple is not a kind of company that always jump in first with new technology. Look at USB 3.0, Blu-ray, and HDMI. God knows when they are going to jump into LTE network.

4. We don't know anything about plans or pricing yet on LTE network.

5. 5-12MB download speed is not that much faster than Sprint's Wi-Max network.

6. You are just starting a thread that looks like talking about verizon LTE. But, you are just making another one of those million threads about verizon iPhone and it doesn't exist.

7. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

It is not that much faster even than AT&T's HSDPA 7.2Mbps 3G network (iPhone 4). :confused:

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

AT&T's network is generally 1 to 3 Mbps. Citing "possible numbers" really doesn't mean much. Comparing real-world results is all that matters. Because of that, it's hard to get excited about networks that we can't test yet.

9. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Please edit your title to reflect the modality of your statement. Its very misleading.
    i.e. Your title asserts with conviction that the 4G iPhone is around the corner and yet your post says "I bet its around the corner".

10. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

+1. Saying a network is fast because of "possible numbers" is the analogue to saying that being a female topless dancer is a "good job" because you can "technically" net up to 100k a night.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Sure we do, just to keep the fanboys happy.

Yes, remarkably late... :)

12. TapHappy thread starter macrumors regular

Just hedging my bet. BTW around the corner for me is 3-6 months from now.

13. jlw2387 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Personally, I'm happy with 3G, and I won't care about 4G until it was better coverage than "36 select markets".

14. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

that's quite a corner, then

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Depends on how old a person is, as to how big a corner a few months is :)

16. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Sprint's WIMAX does not get anywhere near 9mb. You are lucky to see over 2mb most of the time with Clear Wireless Network. LTE will be a much better network than WIMAX period and should perform better.

17. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Oh look, another rumor that there is gonna be a Verizon iPhone. These rumors have been non-stop ever since the iPhone was launched back in June of 2007. I'll believe it when I hear Jobs say it. Until then theres no reason to buy into every stupid rumor.

18. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't expect a Verizon iPhone until WWDC 11'. No LTE this year - sorry, it's just not gonna happen. :apple:

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

4G won't make much of a differ when browsing, but it will probably be as good as WiFi when streaming video.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Agreed, although it's really odd that Motorola's mobile CEO was just talking about how they're probably going to face a big revenue drop in 1Q2011 on Verizon, because of a "possible competing dynamic".

And people don't think he's talking about new Palms or WP7 phones.

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Just wondering, when did he mention this? I must've missed an article somewhere... :(

22. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Why would you relate their LTE to an iPhone? T-Mobiles HSPA+ is still the fastest and they arent getting an iPhone.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

24. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Friends

I've got friends who talk about their contract ending sometime early in 2011 or paying the early termination fee to get the new iPhone. I was like "What are you talking about? We don't know when the iPhone is hitting Verizon." They all say it's coming in January.
    While I'm glad they say it's coming in January and as much I want the Verizon iPhone because my contract is up Summer 2011, I will not be firm about a release date. I will just say hopefully it will be out early 2011.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...