Verizon 4s carrier unlock vs. potential Ultrasn0w

YDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Question,

I'm aware that if you can get your iPhone 4s unlocked through Verizon, it will work on international GSM networks, but not on domestic ones (e.g., AT&T, T-Mobile). If and when ultrasn0w were to be released for the Verizon 4s, would the same restriction apply, or would they somehow be able to also allow AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs to work as well? Thanks.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Question,

I'm aware that if you can get your iPhone 4s unlocked through Verizon, it will work on international GSM networks, but not on domestic ones (e.g., AT&T, T-Mobile). If and when ultrasn0w were to be released for the Verizon 4s, would the same restriction apply, or would they somehow be able to also allow AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs to work as well? Thanks.
There is not way to know that at this time, they need to reversed engineer the baseband to understand how they are blocking the domestic carriers and them see if that limitation can be overcome or not.

YDH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I figure it is a moot point until something is actually released, but I was just wondering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.