Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
As a former AT&T'er, I miss the early upgrade subsidy. Just curious how many "Big Red" customers are jumping on the iPhone 5 bandwagon at full price ($649, $749, $849).

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
As a former AT&T'er, I miss the early upgrade subsidy. Just curious how many "Big Red" customers are jumping on the iPhone 5 bandwagon at full price ($649, $749, $849).

I am, to keep unlimited data.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm still on contract and will wait for the iPhone 5S next year for the subsidized price. That is of course if I choose to remain with AT&T - I haven't decided on that yet.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I'm opening another line ($10/month) and using that upgrade, then switching the phones on my account. I'm doing so to keep unlimited data, and hoping that a jailbreak w/ tethering will come out very soon. :D

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
problem with this however (myself being in the same boat) is taht those of us who have iPhone 4 or 4s, I;ve been reading that verizon would need to change the feature code in the system on our plans because we are moving from 3g service to lte, although i dont have confirmation of this, it is something to take note of bc im not sure if that is going to mess up our current billing plan, im trying to keep my unlimited

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I'm opening another line ($10/month) and using that upgrade, then switching the phones on my account. I'm doing so to keep unlimited data, and hoping that a jailbreak w/ tethering will come out very soon. :D

Verizon isn't forcing people to the family share data plans yet?

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
problem with this however (myself being in the same boat) is taht those of us who have iPhone 4 or 4s, I;ve been reading that verizon would need to change the feature code in the system on our plans because we are moving from 3g service to lte, although i dont have confirmation of this, it is something to take note of bc im not sure if that is going to mess up our current billing plan, im trying to keep my unlimited

You'll have no issues, I've gone between full price 3G phones to full price 4G phones back to subsidized 3G phones (several months ago), all while keeping unlimited data.

----------

cant force anyone to do anything unless u buy a phone at the discounted 199 price

What part about him opening a NEW line, and using the subsidy did you not understand? :)

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
You'll have no issues, I've gone between full price 3G phones to full price 4G phones back to subsidized 3G phones (several months ago), all while keeping unlimited data.

----------
So your saying with my iphone 4, I can switch to iphone 5 lte at full cost and nothing needs to be change don my plan? Not even adjusting data plan code since I'm rolling over to lte?

What part about him opening a NEW line, and using the subsidy did you not understand? :)

must have missed that part lol

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I'd hate to make another one of those "the Verizon rep told me" posts, but I've already closed my Verizon account and intend to open a new account to get the iPhone 5 for $200. TWO reps told me I would still be given the option of the old, "Nationwide" individual plans. I would not be forced to pick a Share Everything plan. It's generally believed that phone reps aren't to be trusted, but when I spoke to a rep from the cancellation department to close my account, she said the same thing and even made a note on my account and gave me a number to call in case I wasn't given the option.

BUT, I just chatted with an agent online and they said the complete opposite. They said the Nationwide plans are only for existing accounts grandfathered in. Sigh. This could very well make Sprint a viable option. I don't need unlimited text and talk and must have at least 2GBs of data. This will cost me $100 with their new plans...

On another note, if anyone is looking to close their account and keep their number, I read an article online where someone explained porting your number to a Google Voice account. It costs around $20. Then, you could port it back to your new account.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I'd hate to make another one of those "the Verizon rep told me" posts, but I've already closed my Verizon account and intend to open a new account to get the iPhone 5 for $200. TWO reps told me I would still be given the option of the old, "Nationwide" individual plans. I would not be forced to pick a Share Everything plan. It's generally believed that phone reps aren't to be trusted, but when I spoke to a rep from the cancellation department to close my account, she said the same thing and even made a note on my account and gave me a number to call in case I wasn't given the option.

BUT, I just chatted with an agent online and they said the complete opposite. They said the Nationwide plans are only for existing accounts grandfathered in. Sigh. This could very well make Sprint a viable option. I don't need unlimited text and talk and must have at least 2GBs of data. This will cost me $100 with their new plans...

On another note, if anyone is looking to close their account and keep their number, I read an article online where someone explained porting your number to a Google Voice account. It costs around $20. Then, you could port it back to your new account.

Sorry to hear, but if you closed the line/account with unlimited data it's gone. They will not open new lines with unlimited plans, if anyone with an unlimited plan uses the subsidy price they only offer you the shared/tiered option for data, unlimited only stays with the account if you pay the FULL UNSUBSIDIZED price. Obviously there are a few exception that happen, but the general rule applied to accounts is as stated above.

I have an unlimited plan and have a long time friend from college working at VZW store for several years and hasn't successfully pulled the right string to make the "keep unlimited and upgrade" thing happen. They clearly want to move people off of the unlimited plans and imo will say just about anything to lead someone off of one.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I'm getting a new phone, at full retail price, as soon as my eBay auction on my 4S closes, but it will not be the iPhone 5.

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Sorry to hear, but if you closed the line/account with unlimited data it's gone. They will not open new lines with unlimited plans, if anyone with an unlimited plan uses the subsidy price they only offer you the shared/tiered option for data, unlimited only stays with the account if you pay the FULL UNSUBSIDIZED price. Obviously there are a few exception that happen, but the general rule applied to accounts is as stated above.

I have an unlimited plan and have a long time friend from college working at VZW store for several years and hasn't successfully pulled the right string to make the "keep unlimited and upgrade" thing happen. They clearly want to move people off of the unlimited plans and imo will say just about anything to lead someone off of one.

Yeah. I don't have unlimited data. I was referencing an earlier post about Verizon's new "Share Everything" plans.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
this is my plan / method to get it subsidized

i am on the share everything plan, with an on contract iphone 4s and an iPad. The iPad (even though i pay $10 a month) has an eligible upgrade. I can transfer this upgrade to my other line (iphone 4s, i pay 45 for this). I will get the iphone on the iPhone (45 dollar line) at the subsidized price, lock my ipad data into a two year contract. I still only have to pay $45 and $10 for both devices

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006

You can't do this anymore. Verizon changed their policy. If you add another line you will be required to choose one of the new Share Everything plans and split data between the lines. There is no more unlimited data with the new plans.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
California
I just tried to price one of the existing lines I have that is currently a dumb phone and upgrade it to a smartphone, it asked me to add a Data Plan and not a Shared Data Plan. So in theory, if you already have another line on the account that is a dumb phone, you can loophole the system and switch the iPhone 5 to your line and keep the unlimited data.

vegastime

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Virginia

I did this with my ATT account. I had ported my home phone number to ATT when the iPhone 4 came out, and just ported it to Google Voice last month. Now I may move it to my Verizon account.

yehgermeister

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
I'm very bad with dealing with phone stuff.. help me out please guys! Anyways..

I bought a Verizon iPhone 4s last year at launch and really would like the 5. I am a part of a business account (my family of 4). My dad uses a dumbphone and is eligible for an upgrade. I could use his upgrade and get the iPhone 5, but he needs a new phone as well, but doesn't want a smartphone. We do not want to open a new line for $10/month so that is out of the question.

I'm not really sure what I should or can do. I would like to go about by spending as little money as possible (broke recent graduate) and get the same size capacity (32gb 4s -> 32gb 5). What are your suggestions people?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I'm paying full price. Don't feel like waiting until August just to save a few hundred bucks.

I'm very bad with dealing with phone stuff.. help me out please guys! Anyways..

I bought a Verizon iPhone 4s last year at launch and really would like the 5. I am a part of a business account (my family of 4). My dad uses a dumbphone and is eligible for an upgrade. I could use his upgrade and get the iPhone 5, but he needs a new phone as well, but doesn't want a smartphone. We do not want to open a new line for $10/month so that is out of the question.

I'm not really sure what I should or can do. I would like to go about by spending as little money as possible (broke recent graduate) and get the same size capacity (32gb 4s -> 32gb 5). What are your suggestions people?
If you're broke then don't buy one. Seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.