Carrier Verizon 5c/5s CDMA service out of US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sun wind, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Sun wind macrumors newbie

As we knew, Verizon committed that 5c/5s is unlocked and can be used local carriers SIM card which supports GSM or CDMA while roaming out of US. Recently some friends told me that their 5s is out of service inserting local CDMA carrier SIM card china telecom in China but works with local GSM carriers SIM card.
    Does anyone know why it happens? Is it meaning Verizon change their policy not allowing other CDMA carrier service works at 5s? Anyone else know the same issue at other area?

2. Qoo macrumors 6502

looks like no official notice from Verizon at this point, lots of people purchased the full price Verizon 5S and trying to activate on China Telecom after October 16 they all have NO SERVICE issue no matter how hard they try, i read an article from Weiphone forum one guy even use Verizon sim card try to activate his 64GB Verizon phone still having the same issue.... i believe Verizon should really make an official announcement to let all of us know what the **** is going on here....:mad:

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

Verizon phones are unlocked but you can't use it with another carrier that uses CDMA because that's programmed into the phone.

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

In short, there is no such thing as poping in another CDMA sim and it working. This is GSM only as the phone still is programmed for the carrier.

Overseas is using different CDMA authentication methods on their SIMs not the same that Verizon uses.

5. SoIsays macrumors regular

Verizon doesn't owe an answer to anyone trying to activate a foreign CDMA line on their phone. As the Chinese say, it is what it is.

6. Sun wind thread starter macrumors newbie

As I know, Verizon 5 and some Verizon 5s/5c works with china telecom CDMA SIM card in china, but some not for those activating after October 16. So I am just wondering if Verizon changed the policy to lock CDMA service out of US.

7. heruofan macrumors newbie

Seems like some guy with the Verizon service also have this problem... not only for the China Tele

8. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

That is because Verizon phones are CDMA enabled for Verizon and the Sim tray is GSM unlocked only.

If you want to use CDMA in another country, you have to get the phone flashes for that CDMA carrier assuming the CDMA radios are compatible.

9. Sun wind thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what you said is true, because some 5s works and some not while pop in China telecom CDMA SIM card.

----------

Really, it is fun if guy with Verizon service also has the same issue. I guess that some devices maybe locked CDMA capabily due to unknown reasons.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's really insufficient information to reach any conclusion. The 700MHz spectrum purchase requires Verizon to have unlocked devices so unless there's some sort of glitch, locks probably aren't relevant.

Are all of these 5 and 5s users on China Telecom on the exact same bands and in the same locations?

11. Sun wind thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, all of users are on China telecom CDMA SIM card on the same bands and the same location. Only difference is that for those phones activating from October 16 most do not work, and for activating before October 16 all work well.
    So it seems weird.