Verizon 5S Activation Story from Hell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DowdyFick, Sep 20, 2013.

1. DowdyFick, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

DowdyFick macrumors regular

Pardon my rant, but here is my Verizon iPhone 5S activation story from hell.

I lined up at 2:30am for the phone. (Incredibly early I know). At 8:00 they started letting people in the store and a woman took me to a spot in the store to set up my purchase. I explained to her that I wanted to purchase an iPhone 5S using another lines upgrade even though I am eligible for an upgrade on my line. The whole purpose behind this being I wished to retain my unlimited data plan. She says okay and begins working on the iPad.

She then goes on and on about cases and chargers, insurance, etc and I politely decline. She then takes my old iPhone and starts going through my music app. When I ask what she is doing she said "I just like going through peoples music app to see what they listen to." I was honestly shocked and didn't know what to say. I have no idea why she had the right to go through my phone like that. I just calmly asked for her to leave the phone alone and she snickers and rather aggressively drops the phone on the table.

On the way out of the store, some employee grabs my arm as I am going out the door. Before I could even react, he lets go and says "whoops." I'm not sure if he thought I was stealing something or what, but even if I was, he never should have ********** touched me let alone grab my arm like he did.

When I get home, I go on verizon.com to make sure everything is set and shocker... my unlimited data plan has changed to a 2GB cap. And so.. I got back in the car and went to Verizon to fix it. I waited another 20 minutes as 3 managers tried to figure out a solution. Then the same lady who I dealt with before explains to me that she's "sorry" and that all she can do is resell me the 5S, activate the old phone for 24 hours and then switch MEID numbers. When I came back I didn't have the 5 with me so I couldn't do anything, but what a mess....

I think it's more than fair to ask for my activation fee to be waived. I also plan on filing a complaint with corporate.

From the nonstop upselling, going through my music, tossing the phone, and the unlimited data screw up, I believe I have more than a valid excuse to ask for compensation.

UPDATE:

I went back yesterday afternoon to get the data situated. I arrived at 3:15 and I told the employee standing at the door that I have an issue with my account from a 5S purchase this morning. He then tells me to get in the back of the line of everyone else trying to purchase a 5S. I refuse and waited next to the security guard by the door (who seemed more interested in resolving my issue than Verizon). After 2 minutes of standing outside I was let in the store. I saw the manager who knew I was coming back and he said "we'll get it taken care of and then calls the same sales person who handled my purchase this morning to fix my account! I said "no way, she's not helping me. Hey Ryan (not his name), you're the manager why don't you fix my issue?" To which he replied, "I would but she's already logged into the computer system." Bunch of ************ but whatever. Long story short, I waited over 30 minutes as the sales person who I worked with earlier sold phones and accessories to other customers.

The line that had the upgrade was deactivated overnight and was reactivated in the morning and the unlimited is back on my line.

In order for this all to work they had to refund my original purchase and charge a different card. Still waiting for the refund from the original purchase.

FINAL RESULT

I got a call from Sylvia Thomas who explained that she's send extra training materials to the store, yada yada. I requested that my activation fee be waived as well as any other compensation she felt was deserved for my experience.

She put $100 credit on the account as well as the activation fee waive.

2. carelesswhisper macrumors member

Damn. I'd be pissed too. Especially thinking you stole something, that kinda thing pisses me off. I hope you get it sorted out and your fee waived.

3. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I have no idea how you kept your cool during everything that happened. I would most definitely complain to corporate because that seems completely unprofessional.

Sorry to hear it went that way, some people can just ruin everything.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow, just wow.

Corporate absolutely needs to hear about this employee that grabbed you and the lady who randomly went through your music "just because." Both of these actions are hugely unacceptable. As for the problems with the data plan, I would say that is more than cause to have them waive the already pointless activation fee.

At least you got your phone though.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

Thats why I hate going into the store. It only takes one bad rep to mess up your entire account. :mad:

6. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

When the prick grabbed my arm, he would have found himself on the floor.

7. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

When I read the part about them changing your unlimited to two gig I legit felt sick to my stomach.

8. fender57 macrumors 6502

Wouldn't surprise me if bee-otch sales rep did that on purpose.

9. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

That's terrible! What an awful experience!

Verizon switched my unlimited to 2GB last year with the 5 and I had to fight them on the phone for a half hour to get it back. Verizon is always so shady.

10. DowdyFick thread starter macrumors regular

Imagine how I felt when I saw it online with the red bar already filled :eek:

----------

From what I've been told, they will do it in the store and i'll have to wait the 24 hours for the MEID to reset. The consequence of the incompetent employee is I have to deal with a bunch on nonsense and I have to use my iPhone 5 for another day. Hopefully it will go as they say.

11. KimMelton661 macrumors 6502

Holy crap, I would have punched someone in the face for grabbing my arm. I also would have reported the employee for going through my phone. Yeah it's probably nothing private, but she still had NO right to do that. Insane. -__-

12. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

That experience deserves more than the activation fee waived...Sorry that happened to you and the sales rep spent more time doing something she shouldnt have than focusing on what you asked for...sheesh :(

Look at the bright side....you have your 5S to look at - me I have 483 out my account and I am now waiting on email updates until Friday....lol:eek:

13. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Complaining about the upselling will do nothing - corporate trains them to do that. Especially on an iPhone. The iPhone is not a profitable phone. They make much more on accessories and insurance. The $29.99 car charger costs $3.45.

Anyway - corporate will want to hear about her going through your phone. That is a fireable offense. Also, someone grabbing you is not okay. Most stores have video surveillance. I would call the store and asked to be put in touch with the regional manager. Have them review the tapes.

Was this a corporate or indirect location?

14. DowdyFick thread starter macrumors regular

I understand complaining about the upselling is frivolous, but I declined the same offers over and over. I believe it was excessive.

This was a corporate store and come to think of it, there was a camera that was pointed directly at the entrance.

15. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Knockoutjosie

16. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

You should definitely report the behavior of the employees there. The woman going through your phone, I'm sorry but she deserves to be fired. That's a violation of your privacy, and something she has no right to do. Couple that with the fact that she was rude and mistreated your phone and that's a definite complaint. Imagine if an Apple employee did that?

As for the employee who grabbed your arm, that's just as bad if not worse. No matter what he thought or suspected, he should have absolutely said something to you, not physically grabbed you. The cameras in the store could confirm what he did.

Don't drop this, fight it. At the very least you should be able to demand any fees back as well as your unlimited data restored. I admire you keeping composure, I would have lost it right then and there. But now you need to go after those scumbags, that's totally unacceptable behavior.

17. christof macrumors 6502

It's unfortunate that retail people lack tact and reasonable judgement. I'd fight and take them to court.

I'd ask for the regional manager's contact information and notify him and the main corporate office of the assault.

I hope your unlimited data works itself out, especially if you paid full price and did not renew any contract.

Good luck.

18. Spacial macrumors 6502

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

If the girl that was going through your music wasn't hot, I probably would have smacked her.

20. DowdyFick thread starter macrumors regular

With respect, that's a poor excuse for my experience.

21. GTPprix macrumors member

At least yours got activated, myself and a bunch of other people are having a TON of trouble getting them activated!

22. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

those mistakes are not acceptable.

23. fender57 macrumors 6502

What mistakes would that be? Invading the OP's privacy, and then physically accosting him?

24. TreyCox macrumors regular

Yeah, it sucks going from an unlimited plan to a capped data plan. I pay way too much for my 30GB plan, but it's a necessity living out in the middle of nowhere like I do with no way to have internet access except through Verizon LTE or satellite internet. :(

25. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I really hate Verizon store employees. They have no respect for the customers , especially iPhone users. I'm glad that when I got my ip5 in January when my blackberry died they didn't push too hard when I wanted to look at the iPhones rather than android. I suppose it was because nothing new was really out then.

Definitely report the looking through your phone and tossing it around and the assault. There was absolutely no reason for any of that! I hope you get your data back! My family lost ours last year when my mom got the iPad 4th gen.