Verizon 5S Completely Effed Up My Phone Line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cwosigns, Sep 20, 2013.

1. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Got in line at 11:30 PM yesterday. Got in the store today at 8 AM, and I was #15 in line. The lady who checked me out rang up my phone wrong (I paid full price to keep my data), and so the phone wouldn't connect to Verizon's network. I got an invalid SIM error. So after a LONG time of haggling back and forth, they figure the sales person didn't connect the phone to my account, so it wouldn't recognize the SIM. After FOUR SIM switches later, they finally figured that out.

So a manager told a guy to refund the phone to a gift card and do it again, but instead add the phone to my account. Well he didn't listen, and he refunded the cost of the phone to my debit card (that takes days to show up) and then charged my debit card again, which completely depleted my checking account. They then had to call the bank and try to get everything straightened out, but I'm not sure if it did. So far my bank is still showing both charges pending.

So after they FINALLY figure out what was causing the invalid SIM error, we get the phone to recognize the SIM and activate. The only wrinkle left: my phone doesn't make or receive calls. Get the message, "Your number is not active or invalid." It connects to LTE and has data, but can't make or receive calls.

They're blaming this on heavy load of activations, but I was in the actual Apple Store next to the Verizon rep for SIX HOURS and not one other person had an activation issue. I don't think it's widespread; I think something is wrong with my phone number. But they sent me home anyway and the Verizon rep is still trying to find someone who will acknowledge that there is something wrong with my provisioning and fix it.

This is beyond frustrating. I was charged twice, spent 14 HOURS awake at the mall, and my phone still doesn't work.

Does anyone have an escalation number I could call? I tweeted VZWSupport but haven't heard back yet. They're usually pretty responsive.

2. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Best bet would be to call customer service, and ask to speak to a supervisor.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

4. Eallan macrumors 6502

So what was causing the sim issue? Mine is not working either.

5. cwosigns thread starter macrumors 65816

When you were rung out, they didn't enter your account info, so that SIM was never associated with your account (that's why it was invalid). They need to refund your money, ring you out again (but choose the upgrade option, full retail price or upgrade, enter your account details), and then this SHOULD resolve the issue.

6. Eallan macrumors 6502

I'm using my old sim (that I used in my iPhone 5) and just tossed it in, this works with every other device (GN, Jetpack, iPhone 5...) no reason it should here?

7. cwosigns thread starter macrumors 65816

They tried that; it said invalid SIM.

Now, data works over LTE. I can use iMessage, surf the web, etc. But when I try to make a call, it says "Your phone number is inactive or invalid." I cannot receive calls either.

8. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

This is one example of why I never use my debit card, for anything. Sorry for the trouble they caused you, hope it gets straightened out soon.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

ANYTHING? I use my CC for big purchases to get reward points, then pay it off the following month. been using my debit card since I've had a checking account with no problems or scams.

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

11. cwosigns thread starter macrumors 65816

So it seems that after getting the SIM invalid error message, we tried about 4-5 different SIM cards before realizing that the woman who rang me out did so incorrectly and didn't associate the device with my Verizon account, and the SIM card that is in their system is not the one in my phone. But because it's pending activation, Derrick (Tier 2 tech) can't remove the bad SIM number because it's pending activation. He is getting someone else to do that, so he can change the SIM in their system to match the one in my phone, then I can turn my phone on and it should work.

The Verizon rep at Apple was with me from 8 AM to 2 PM. She was PHENOMENAL. The guy Derrick I just spoke to was incredibly helpful and explained exactly what was happening. The other 8 people I talked to today blew smoke up my ass, trying to placate me so they could hurry up and get rid of me and move onto the next unfortunate recipient of their "customer service."

There is exceptional customer service, and there is exceptionally bad customer service. Today I experienced both in stark contrast, and I have a new story to tell when I teach customer service training.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

13. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

don't take this the wrong way but this is a good lesson to not deplete more than 50% of your checking account at one time.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

This is why I never buy in store and always online. Too much chance for human error. When I get mine delivered next week, all will be well.

15. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Nope! Earn points in small stuff too. If it's something I can pay for with cash, it's something I can put on my cc's and pay the bill! I'd rather have any issues deal with the banks money rather than mine if it were to happen.

16. cwosigns thread starter macrumors 65816

And this would be a good lesson for you to not be an ass when someone has been up for 30+ hours dealing with a comedy of errors. In a perfect world, maybe. I have two other checking accounts, and two other savings accounts. It's just annoying that due to someone not listening, my account was charged over $1800 for ONE single phone.

----------

How nice for you. There ISN"T an option to order online, pay full retail, and keep your unlimited data with Verizon. It's nice that you have that option; some of us do not.

17. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

my apologies for your troubles. But seriously, use a credit card. You'll avoid crap situations like this. The reality is things never go 100% smoothly for everybody on LAUNCH DAY, when there are tens of thousands of people activating phones at the same time.