Verizon 5S on my current plan bought online for pickup and activate it as unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kapalua12, Oct 19, 2013.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon phone ready for Apple in store pickup purchased online on my current Verizon Plan as an additional phone. When does it get activated on the Verizon network?

Can I put in a different sim card before turning the phone on and activate the phone as an unlocked phone? When does it get "tied" to Verizon...when Apple scans the unopened box or when the phone is turned on?

2. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

(I am an AT&T customer) I bought a VZ phone "off contract" by creating a dummy VZ account / line:

When you arrive to pick up the phone & the nice Apple employee retrieves the phone from the back room:

The employee will scan the device. You will need to accept a new agreement / contract. So YES, the phone is "activated" at the time of sale / pick-up.

You will need the nice Apple employee to return the phone if you wish to purchase it as device-only. Ask nicely...

[​IMG]

4. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information. SO the phone IS activated when they scan the unopened box, not when the phone is turned on the first time?

No way around that?

5. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

This doesn't answer your question, but what I know is this: if you buy a Verizon 5s off-contract and for full price, it is fully unlocked and it has both CDMA and GSM radios activated and working perfectly. Right now I am using a "Verizon" 5s unlocked with T-Mobile. I didn't have to do anything at all except slip in a T-Mobile nanoSIM.

Because you bought it via upgrade/contract, I'm thinking your 5s may currently be locked to Verizon. I also think all the radios in your 5s can be unlocked and be made to work, because Verizon's FCC settlement required this.

So the remaining question is, if the phone is indeed locked, can it be unlocked merely by swapping in a nanoSIM?

7. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did they open the box and initially activate the phone in the store on Verizon for you?
    I'm thinking if the phone is not activated until turned on with the new sim card through Verizon, one could NOT turn the phone on until you put in a different sim card and you would have an unlocked Verizon 5S at contract price.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've seen it both ways where they open the box for you and when they don't. i think the activation happens at the time of purchase when they scan the sim card of the new phone and send that information back to verizon for activation.

my question is, why does it matter having an unlocked phone on verizon if you're already with verizon to begin with?

9. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do they scan the sim card in the new phone and activate that Verizon new line IF they are asked by the customer politely to not open the box as you want your phone pristine?

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. Devices must be unlocked per the requirements of Verizon's purchase of the 700MHz spectrum.

Better resale value, cheaper rates overseas, etc. All the usual benefits of an unlocked device. Whether those benefits matter vary from person to person.

11. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I think it matters significantly. It's a GSM world, GSM is the dominant wireless signal carrier by far (and in my opinion has better sound quality). CDMA, which Verizon uses, is mostly a USA and Qualcomm technology. Travel anywhere outside the US, and you are really going to appreciate being able to pop in a GSM nanoSIM -- super-cheap rates, great signal, and none of those outrageous foreign roaming charges the carriers like to destroy people with.

12. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

OP: what are you trying to achieve?

VZ phones are unlocked per FCC. If you're heading overseas, you can pick up a local nano-SIM on arrival and plug it straight in -- no unlocking code necessary.

But you're "locked" into a 2 year contract with VZ with monthly charges unless you pay the ETF.

13. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

Employees at two of the stores in my area were very adamant that they wouldn't let anyone return an in-store pickup order and rebuy it device only. YMMV depending on where you are, but apparently it's been tried in South Florida, and isn't allowed there.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

poor wording on my part. i was more wondering why the op needed to be able to buy an iphone on contract but not have it activated in store on a line of service. all verizon iphones seem to be unlocked regardless of how it's purchased. the op's question seems confusing to me.

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

All Verizon iPhones 5s are GSM unlocked. It doesn't matter if purchased with a contract or device only.

16. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the question remains...what event sets in motion the notification (and therefore the billing) to verizon that you have activated a new line contract with them. If the phone is just sittting in the store ready to be picked up, even though the phone was purchased online for in store pickup with a new verizon line, the addition is not yet active.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

With exception of verizon iPhone 5/5c/5s. Verizon makes it a pain in the butt to fully use their "unlocked" Windows and Android phones. The htc 8x and lumia 822 are next to impossible to configure mms.

All android phones need to be rooted caused Verizon blocks APN switching with their "unlocked" phones.

Thank Apple for making iPhone truly "unlocked" out of the box with verizon. Verizon can't plays games like they do with windows and Android phones with APNs.

18. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

bro, what is your end game? what are you attempting to do? score a $199/299/399 phone, but expect them to slip to you without paying the full retail price?

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If you are getting a Verizon contract they scan iPhone. When you pay your new line phone number is on the receipt. In store they open and turn on the phone which activates the line.

If you want to cancel and pay the ETF call Verizon when you get home and cancel the contract. They will send you a bill with ETF, activation fee and 1 day of service.