Verizon 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If I buy the 5s full price FROM verizon, will it be unlocked where I can use my straight talk sim or go to tmobile?

Has anyone done this or know for a fact?

Thanks

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Thats what I've been told.

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Yes. Verizon 5s is true unlocked lte for Verizon att and mobile.

This has already been known as a fact by multiple posters.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

I ask as I called the verizon store and they said they didnt come unlocked at full price. Is he just misinformed?

With the verizon 5s, I can go between ATT, Tmobile, straight talk and back to verizon if need be right?

5. aneftp macrumors 601

Almost all Verizon lte phones are sold GSM unlocked these days. Its part of their block c FCC agreement.

The iPhone 5 Verizon was sold factory GSM unlocked but did not have att mobile lte bands.

IPhone 5s has all 3 carrier lte bands on Verizon iPhone. How many more times do we have to repeat this subject.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, you got a clueless verizon rep.
    Nothing surprising:)

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

So of all carriers, Verizon is the way to go for unlocked it seems?

Sorry, just want to make a correct choice before laying down a 1000 bucks or so

8. aneftp macrumors 601

Absolutely Verizon iPhone 5s is way to go in terms of flexibility with Verizon att and T-Mobile and the side brands like straight talk

9. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

This is kind of a general unlocked phone question, not particular to Verizon.

I got an AT&T phone on launch day on early upgrade, but have decided that I want to return it and buy another (different color) at full price so it'll be unlocked. When I buy the new phone, will the process be that I just take the nano-SIM out of the phone that I currently have, and place that in the new unlocked phone before connecting it to iTunes, and then I should be good to go?

Or will there potentially be an issue with activating the new phone right away because of lag time in restoring my account to its previous status with regard to upgrade eligibility?

Sorry if this is a noob type of question!

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Any Verizon iPhone will be unlocked, whether on contract or off. I bought my Verizon iPhone from Apple the other day and don't even have a Verizon account. I use it for AT&T. However, a Verizon store might not sell you a Verizon phone without a contract.

----------

You'll just need to swap the SIM card out of your old phone and put it into the new phone. I did exactly that last year. AT&T just wants your old phone back. SIMs are a dime a dozen.

11. hughiee macrumors member

Thanks KPOM! You answered my questions from another thread re unlocked iPhones. I will likely return my AT&T "device only" for the Verizon 5c/5s.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

You're welcome. Note that the main difference between the AT&T "device only" iPhone 5s and the Verizon is that the latter can be used with Verizon in the future and could potentially be resold to VZW users as well as AT&T or T-Mobile users. The various AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile models should be identical in terms of operating the phone on either AT&T or T-Mobile.

13. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

So in summary

Verizon iphone: able to be used on verizon, att, tmobile or any gsm network and possibly flashed for sprint

Att or tmobile iphone: able to be used on either tmobile or att and any gsm but never for use with verizon even though it supports it. As it never was 'authorized' for verizon it won't work

14. KPOM macrumors G5

Sprint and Verizon don't allow the other carriers' phones to work on their networks. They can do that because CDMA itself doesn't require SIM cards. LTE does, but that's limited in the US to data right now.

I don't know for sure whether all the A1533 models have CDMA radios, but in any case, only the VZW model run on a CDMA/LTE combo network.

15. javier13javier macrumors newbie

The verizon unlocked is from contract and full price or only full price?

16. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

you can buy it under contract and it will still be sim unlocked.

it has been said MULTIPLE TIMES that the government requires verizon to have SIM unlocks on all their LTE smartphones. Contract or no contract.

So you can theoretically get a verizon iphone 5/5S, pop in a different sim and use that service. Cancel your Verizon service and pay the ETF of course so u dont pay 2 bills.

17. javier13javier macrumors newbie

Thanks, i read it multiple times but didnt know if is only on full price.

Thanks again!

18. hughiee macrumors member

KPOM, since the VZW model has the CDMA/LTE radio, will it use more battery than the AT&T version with the CDMA deactivated on model A1533? I want an unlocked for use on At&t and am leaning towards Verizon but am concerned about possibly less efficient battery on the CDMA/LTE radio?

19. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

If there is a difference it is very minuscule lol. There is nothing out on the internet about Verizon iPhones having less of a battery life than ATT phones. The iPhone is rated at 10 hours. There is no references being made to which carrier you're using.

20. hughiee macrumors member

Thanks Col Ronson for your input. By using the Verizon model A1533 with an At&t SIM card, will At&t's firmware be updated on this device as well?

21. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

yup;)

22. hughiee macrumors member

Thank you for your prompt reply!

23. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

dont thank me :p im boerd at 2am and got nothing better to do lol

24. greynlds macrumors newbie

Rather than starting a new thread, this one seems like a good place for me to ask my question... I'm fairly new to this forum, so if it would be better to start a new thread, let me know.

I currently have a 64GB iPhone 4S (I bought the AT&T no contract version for ~$850 from the local Apple store about 1 1/2 years ago). The phone is on my company's AT&T account, so they take care of the monthly phone/texting/data fees.

The company has recently decided to switch to Verizon, so I need to get a new phone. The way our company handles this is that we can get an 8GB iPhone 4S (or a few other low end choices, like a Blackberry Curve) provided for free OR we can purchase our own contract-free phone and have it activated on the corporate account. The phone I'd like to go with is a 64GB iPhone 5S.

I stopped by one of the local Verizon stores today and was told that they can sell me the 5S (when they get them one in stock) at the month to month price ($850), but they can't let a phone leave the store unless it's activated on a Verizon account. I have to provide my company with the phone's details after I get it and let them activate it (which could potentially take 24 hours), so I would be forced to start with an account with Verizon, switch over to the company account, and then cancel my Verizon account. They also told me that if I had the phone switched over to my company's account that the iPhone warranty through Verizon would be void (I've also seen this piece of info posted in several other places). I'm not keen on having to pay even for 1 month of service that I obviously don't need and I'm not at all happy about the prospect of having no warranty on a brand new phone. Worst case, would I be able to purchase another warranty (Apple Care?) to get warranty coverage?

I also stopped by the Apple store. The salesperson told me that they get a few Verizon contract-free phones in during the course of the week, but I'd have to get there early every day until I got lucky and got one which really isn't practical given that I sort of have to get work done in order to stay employed :D. My understanding if I bought the phone from Apple is that there would be no warranty issues with having the phone activated on my company's account and I obviously wouldn't have to setup a phone/data contract with a provider in order to purchase the phone.

I also called Apple and the salesperson I spoke with tried to convince me that the contract-free T-Mobile version of the 5S would work fine with Verizon. I'm pretty sure that's bad info.

So my questions:

Does anyone happen to know how soon Apple will have 64GB contract-free Verizon iPhone 5S's in stock so one can just walk in the store and have reasonably good odds of them being in stock?

Are there any other legitimate sources for contract-free Verizon iPhones that don't charge a huge premium over $850 for the 64GB version and don't have a requirement for setting up a contract with the service provider and/or void the warranty?

25. legioxi macrumors 6502a

1. Probably Nov/Dev.
    2. Any iPhone comes with the 1yr warranty from Apple, changing providers or accounts has no bearing on this. You can also pay $100 (to Apple, not Verizon) to extend the warranty (AppleCare+) by 1 year (2yr total) and have 2 accidental damage claims on the phone ($79 deductible). AppleCare+ also doesn't care if you swap the phone between accounts, providers, owners, etc. Any issue with the phone you just call Apple or to go an Apple Store... never Verizon/ATT/etc.

Also if you don't buy AC+, you can always take the phone to an Apple Store for an out of warranty replacement. You swap the broken phone + $280ish for a refurb of the same color, model and size.