Verizon Activation From Hell

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ECUpirate44, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ECUpirate44, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Like everyone else, I preordered the iPhone (from apple) on 9/14. I used a friends upgrade to purchase the phone at the 199 price and simply intended to swap the phone onto my account. Little did I know it was going to be this horrible of an experience

I called Verizon all week long to clarify and explain what the process would be like. They said simply receive the phone, call us and we'll activate it on your line. That turns out to be far from what actually needs to happen.

I got the phone at 9:50 and called Apple to activate it. They asked for the MEID number, and then the SIM card number. I told them I have no idea where the sim card # is so they looked on the account of the person I used to purchase the phone. The rep then went ahead and explained how she was going to switch the phone to my account. Thinking that she should know what was best, I said sure, lets do it. After 10 min on hold, she comes back and says "Sorry sir, your SIM appears to have fried during the switch you will need to call Apple for a new one"

The Verizon rep transferred me to Apple where I asked for a new SIM. The Apple rep seem completely unprepared when I told him I needed a new sim and said that "Apple doesn't sell sim cards, you will need to go to the carrier" Then why did Verizon transfer me to Apple!?

At this point, i'm going on the assumption that the SIM needs to be replaced, which doesn't look like its happening any time soon. I called over a dozen Verizon stores and none of them have the SIM cards. If the sim card is not fried, I guess I could activate the phone on my friends account and then deactivate it, and then reactivate it on my account, but I don't even know if thats possible anymore.

If I get a new SIM, will I need to do any transferring from the other persons account? I will only be with them for the weekend.

I'm pretty sure i'm just going to have to wait for Verizon to get new SIM's, all I do then is buy it? Then activate the phone on my account? Help!

Update: Took the drive to Apple, asked for a SIM card, then went to Verizon to activate. Nightmare over.

2. troy14, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

troy14 macrumors 6502a

Fried a SIM? Seriously?

Why can't you just go onto the Verizon Website and go to Activate a Device then type in the MEID # (it will also ask for the Verizon SIM, this is on the physical SIM you can't miss it so you need to eject it) and SIM # and boom it's activated?

I did somewhat the same process...except I used my brother's upgrade. It would be the same concept, I just registered his phone back to his #, and registered the new iPhone to my # and it was activated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

voila

3. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

My dad had a similar issue and Verizon is overnighting him a new SIM.... Verizon should do this, not Apple..

4. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yeah I just ordered one from Verizon.com. Idk what else to do.

----------

Thanks for this, I ordered a new SIM and hopefully it will be here soon. Do I just bring it to Verizon so they can activate it? I don't have any way to remove the old SIM. Will I need the other person whoes account I used to purchase the phone?

5. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I would try it with your current sim and see if it works. I never heard of anyone frying a sim, although it may be possible.

6. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

How should I do it? It looks like it won't let me since I already requested a new SIM.

7. Codepiink macrumors regular

wtf. I went to four different Verizon stores to get a new sim, only to be told they had none, and spoke to three different Verizon reps on the phone and they told me to wait 24 hours. I will just go into Apple an exchange it tomorrow if that sim crap doesn't work.

----------

How did you do this? I tried this earlier and it keeps giving me an error. :confused:

8. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I just did it, I was able to log in on Verizon and request a new one.

----------

What did they tell you to wait 24 hours for?

----------

So I just ordered the new SIM. When it comes, i'll have to bring the phone to Verizon because I don't have any way to take the old SIM out. Will Verizon be able to activate the phone with a new SIM without the other persons account I used to purchase the phone?

9. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Well I think the iPhone has it's own MEID # which is separate from the SIM. The only reason Verizon asked for the SIM # was to verify that it was a Verizon SIM (because it's locked to Verizon I assume for LTE)....

Dunno, i'm trying to help you avoid waiting for a new SIM. It literally takes 2 minutes to log on to the account and do the steps. You get your MEID by going on your phone to settings -> general -> about, probably starts with 9900 something.

If you don't wanna try that then just wait for your new SIM, not trying to be rude but if you don't want to take 2 minutes to resolve your problem well then I can't do it for you.

Edit: To take the sim out it's easy, either use a thumbtack and stick it in the hole and push pretty firmly, it will pop out. Or take a thinner paper clip, straighten the side out, and stick that in there. The Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't come with the sim ejector tool like the AT&T unfortunately.

Edit2: What kind of error did it give you? I never got any error, make sure you are typing in your MEID # and NOT the IMEI. I think that matters (but not 100%)

10. Codepiink macrumors regular

No, I mean how was that other person able to reactivate the iPhone on their line after they activated it on their friend's line.

Customer service told me I had to wait 24 hrs for the sim to be reset or some crap. I think they are full of it. I asked several reps to order me a new sim and they said they couldn't. I'll try ordering one on the website if the 24 hrs thing doesn't work and if I can't exchange the phone.

11. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nah I appreciate your help. I've been told a million different directions at this point so I really don't know what to do. I guess i'll just wait for the new SIM to come at this point. Verizon reps have unsuccessfully tried to do what you're describing so I doubt I would be able to do it either.

The SIM was programed with the account that I used to purchase the phone and from what I've gathered, once the SIM is programmed it can't be reprogrammed onto another account so I was going to need a new SIM regardless.

12. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Yeah, we were told we could wait, but they also sent him a SIM card just in case. The only trick is.. I don't know if my dad can even figure out how to open the SIM slot, so he will have to go to VZW anyway I assume. Not to mention, I didn't get a SIM slot tool in my iPhone 5 box. I'm not sure if he did or not (we're in separate locations). Good luck!

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Here's a hint - plug it into itunes. It will activate regardless when plugged into itunes. Give it 5 minutes. It's like magic.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Simple, put it over a lighter.

15. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The SIM was programmed with the phone number of the person's account I used to purchase the phone, not my number. I think I was going to need a new SIM regardless.

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Oh you need to swap the phone numbers? might need to call verizon to swap it out.

17. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I did and Verizon then tried and said I need a new sim. When I get the new sim, it shouldn't be programmed with any phone number right?

18. robkurzd macrumors newbie

A little clarity on this issue from what I've heard that seems to match everyone else's issues.

People who were able to activate theirs online with another persons upgrade worked because it was on their same account.

Like someone mentioned before, the sim is locked to the account, not the phone number. So if you are on a plan with your brother, yes you can activate it. If you are on a different plan from the upgrade, you need a new SIM.

I worked with a CSR from VZW on the phone who couldn't get it fixed after the VZW store couldn't fix it. She said I would need a new SIM.

NONE of the Verizon stores or Apple store in my area have the nano sim card. The woman from the Apple store seemed aware of my issue and referred to it as the buddy upgrade. They simply didn't have any. Coincidentally both places seem to blame the others "Apple hasn't given them to us" or Apple saying "need to go to Verizon." I believe you have to go to Verizon.

Will try to get a new SIM from the Verizon store. This sucks!

19. Mengels7 macrumors regular

You think yours was from hell? I ordered my ATT>Verizon port add-a-line from the Apple Store online but entered the wrong cellphone number. Took 3 hours of phone calls with every support and sales line at Verizon and Applecare and Apple CS and a 60 minute drive to an Apple store with 45 minutes of phonecalls there to make it work with the proper number.

HELL.

20. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This is exactly what I've run into. Even though I've already ordered a new sim on Verizon.com, should I still try to find one in the Verizon stores before it comes? Also, when I get this new SIM card, will it come programmed with my number or will I need to have the account information from the persons account I used to purchase the phone?

----------

At least you're using your iPhone 5 :/

21. robkurzd macrumors newbie

Can you tell me how to order the new SIM from Verizon? I searched but couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing when you order a new SIM card it won't have an account associated with it.

22. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Go on Verizon.com and go to switch devices, type In the meid number and then just complete the order.

23. Codepiink macrumors regular

Wow you were right. I just called Verizon and told them what I read online and the woman said that it's correct and she miraculously was able to order a sim card for me & I should get it monday because they already sent out heir shipments. Ugh, I've been calling since this morning.. This blows. oh well..

24. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Wtf. I was told I had to go to a store. Not one rep offered to order one for me.

25. robkurzd macrumors newbie

I just paid for Saturday shipping...I'll be extremely $&*(%&$( if it doesn't show up. $21.74 to use this device!