Verizon Allows iPhone 4 Users to Upgrade Now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fjfjfjfj, Oct 3, 2012.

1. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

I apologize if this has been discussed, but for the numerous individuals who bought the iPhone 4 on launch day and have been waiting for October 7th to upgrade I just randomly checked my account today and I was allowed to upgrade 'early.' As soon as a few days ago, it was still offering me non-subsidized pricing prior to October 7th and subsidized after on the 'check my availability' page. But today, it's all opened up and I was able to purchase my phone at the contract price.

Just thought I would pass it along in case others hadn't noticed that or may get the same option.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wow that's interesting considering that Verizon is VERY strict and sticks to their policies on this matter.

It makes sense though, they would be on an odd upgrade cycle otherwise, and may have risked losing customers to other carriers if the switching cost was lower than to stay with Verizon.

3. Stinja macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 upgrade was originally supposed to be on October 5th, but I went into a Verizon store today and got that moved up to today..

Apple better do something about the availability of the Verizon iPhone 5, a lot of people are gonna want this upgrade, myself included!

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

Does Verizon have the iPhone 5 in stock, or if I were to go in tomorrow to upgrade, would I have to order? Just curious. I was going to wait until next week anyway.

5. Stinja macrumors regular

Don't know about Ohio, but Verizon doesn't have anything here in NYC.

6. ace198 macrumors regular

Yeah, I pre-ordered the day the iPhone 4 came available with Verizon. I got it two days earlier than the release date. It seems weird that Verizon is the only place to not offer a upgrade but Amazon & Apple can give me a upgrade today. It shouldn't matter if you're ordering online because it won't ship till after your upgrade date if the October 7th date applies to you.

7. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

a lot of ppl are impatient and will get the SG3. Apple better start pumping more out soon because all it's doing is helping Samsung.

8. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Verizon told me this last week when I called to see if they would move up my date. I called literally 40 radioshacks in southeastern Michigan today and lucked out in Ann Arbor with a 64gb black iPhone. Only found 3 other phones, but were white and smaller capacity. Two in Fenton and one in Ferndale, FYI.

9. DaQuickPG macrumors member

Wow really, i thought u were going to say a month or so early not 4 days.

10. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

they must really want to wipe out unlimited data as soon as possible. get them drunk on i5 before they know what hit them.

11. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

you found smaller capacity versions at the Ann Arbor store? I was checking at 10pm and nothing would show up. Looking for a white 16GB model.

12. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Of course they want you to upgrade--they want you off that unlimited data plan ASAP.

13. erftbll81 macrumors member

Me and my GF both Pre-ordered our iPhone 4's when they first came out for verizon. We received them the Monday after the release (the 14th) so our upgrades aren't until Oct 14th. I just signed in to our account and ours are still showing at full price =(

14. Cobra611 macrumors regular

Cobra611

My upgrade date with VZ is October 7. But, I have been eligible to upgrade when I go through the Apple website since Sunday, but VZ. Still haven't been able to score a phone though.

15. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

If you upgrade with the subsidized price, you'll lose your unlimited data plan. At first, I thought it might work but then I went back and did the math.

It actually worked out to be more expensive to be on the share everything plan.

Subsidized price:
    $199 + tax on $649.99 (assume 8% tax) = $251.00
    Share Everything plan with 1 person, 1 GB of data = $90+taxes/fees

Full price:
    $649.99 + tax (assume 8% tax) = $701.99
    Difference between subsidized price = $701.99-251 = $450.99 spread out over 19 months = $23.74 per month.

So if you can save more than $23.74 per month on your service plan, then go for the subsidized price upgrade. Otherwise, you're better off paying full price and then reselling it later for about $200-250 below full MSRP and then put that into the next upgrade if you choose to.

I can almost guarantee you that you will use 10-20% more data on LTE compared to 3G.

My wife and I each use about 6-7 GB per month so none of the plans make sense for us. When the phones are more readily available, we will get her an iPhone 5.

16. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Sorry should have clarified. I found a few others at radioshacks.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

while you'll lose unlimited data by using a subsidy, verizon won't force you onto one of their new shared data plans. you can get the 2gb tiered data.

18. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

That's not what was communicated via Verizon's literature. I asked them about it and they said no.

They said unlimited + subsidized upgrade = share everything plan. Those who have a 2GB tiered plan who upgrade will get to use the subsidized pricing and keep said tiered plan.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

what you'll read is one thing, but every customer service representative has told me otherwise. i also know too many people who've upgraded and weren't forced to go with the share everything plan to know it's not true.

20. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Just because it worked for you and "too many people" you know, does not make it the norm.