Verizon- Can I just swap SIM cards from my 5S to my new 6 Plus before activating it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spazma7ik, Sep 19, 2014.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

will the new plus just work on my line automatically? Is that how Verizon's SIM cards work now?

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Yes.

3. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks! And are the SIM sizes the same for both?

4. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Yeah both should use nano sims

5. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks guys! :)

6. Garrett67 macrumors regular

Is there an advantage to doing this, besides quicker setup?

7. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I wouldn't do that. Supposedly new Sims come in the 6/6+ that are for NFC use.

8. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

There has been no evidence, that I've seen, to support this. And plus it is a mute point. Apple Pay isn't active till sometime next month.

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Source?

10. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

Not sure if theres actually a difference but for micro and nano sims we do in fact have nfc and non nfc ones, apps like isis mobile wallet(kind of like apple pay for android) will NOT work without these secure cards so I think there has to be some truth to this.

11. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I stopped in to visit my favorite rep at my local Verizon store and she quickly said the 5s and 5c sims were already nfc enabled. Didn't ask specifically about any other phones, as those are what we were upgrading from.

So pop your current sim into your new iPhone 6 without fear! :D

12. spazma7ik thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great news! It worked like a charm just popping my sim into my new iPhone 6+.

Next question.. Can I continue to do this without issue? Can I keep swapping the sim between my 5s and 6+ and it'll just keep activating automatically on whichever device I want?

13. g808 macrumors regular

14. EW800 macrumors 6502

I am pleased to see this topic, as I do not fully understand when to switch SIM cards and when not to.

I have a 6+ coming. Will be upgrading from the 5. Should I be able to just fire up the 6+ when it comes and it will take over my current cell number, or do I need to take the SIM out of my 5 and put it in the 6+?

Thanks so much!

15. wxman2003 Suspended

The 6 Plus will come with a sim card installed. If you choose to use that sim card, follow the instructions that come with your phone. Verizon will have a brochure telling you what to do. You will have to turn your 5 off, and then activate the new sim via the instructions. Most of the time, it will work fine, and it will deactivate the old sim card in your 5. Now if for some reason, the activation fails, you will now have no phone that will work because both sims will not work. I chose to install the sim from my 5S into my 6 plus. Power off the 5S, took the sim card out. With the 6 powered off, removed the new sim, and put the 5 sim in, and powered back on. Almost instantly it LTE appeared. After that, just activate the phone via icloud, or itunes.

16. EW800 macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for the excellent explanation! I appreciate it!

17. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Was on the phone with Verizon for 2+ hours tonight dealing with a SIM tray issue. The "advanced support" rep made it clear that a NFC SIM card was needed for Apple Pay to work when it is released. Has something to do with NFC security.

18. wxman2003 Suspended

Correct. On Verizon web site, search NFC SIM. It will explain how to check if you need to update. Basically, select manage my device. In right hand column you will be able to select request NFC sim. If your current sim is fine, it will not give you that option.

19. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I know this is an old thread, but can you switch slims from different lines and then activate the new phone? Planning for the 6S upgrade.

20. Dennnis420420 macrumors newbie

Dennnis420420

I had a iphone 6 for verizon didnt finish contract can I put a different verizon sim in it