Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Got my contract terminated by verizon because of roaming and I have to get new service. Im in nyc. Should I get at&t or Tmobile? Had att before so Im leaning towards att but tmobile is tempting being that its 20 dollars cheaper than att. BUT..at the end of next year Im moving to boca raton florida so I also would like some input from some florida residents. Thanx

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Also I'd like to add that Im skipping the 5S and Im just going to purchase another iPhone 5. I also am in need of a phone right away.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Wait. How did you get cancelled? I thought ALL of Verizon's plans had nationwide coverage without roaming. (Unless you went to Canada a lot.) It seems silly to cancel a contract based on you roaming.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Both AT&T and Tmobile work well in the areas you mentioned. Tmobile has 2G data in rural areas though so if you need better rural service then go AT&T. If you'll be spending most of your time in those cities then go Tmobile.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Wait. How did you get cancelled? I thought ALL of Verizon's plans had nationwide coverage without roaming. (Unless you went to Canada a lot.) It seems silly to cancel a contract based on you roaming.

Probably "roaming" is code for, didn't pay my phone bill.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
No roaming is a code for not paying bill.

I'm in sort of the same circumstance with AT&T. I moved to an area that has "no" AT&T service so I'm roaming all the time. Apparently, in the contracts that we all don't read, there are provisions that limit the amount of roaming. There is an actual data limit and if you go 4x over that (could be 5) you get a message and email from AT&T explaining that. I talked to AT&T and was told if you continue to to exceed by that amount I'll get more messages and action would be needed. I've heard but it hasn't happened to me yet that they eventually will cancel the rest of you contract and in some cases even buy you a phone from another vendor. Since I have such bad coverage here, even with roaming cancelling my contract would be OK (although I'd rather it happen after 5s is out).
So I guess if you roam too much there is a provision to cancel in these contracts.

-

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No roaming is a code for not paying bill.

I'm in sort of the same circumstance with AT&T. I moved to an area that has "no" AT&T service so I'm roaming all the time. Apparently, in the contracts that we all don't read, there are provisions that limit the amount of roaming. There is an actual data limit and if you go 4x over that (could be 5) you get a message and email from AT&T explaining that. I talked to AT&T and was told if you continue to to exceed by that amount I'll get more messages and action would be needed. I've heard but it hasn't happened to me yet that they eventually will cancel the rest of you contract and in some cases even buy you a phone from another vendor. Since I have such bad coverage here, even with roaming cancelling my contract would be OK (although I'd rather it happen after 5s is out).
So I guess if you roam too much there is a provision to cancel in these contracts.

In the same contract that you didn't read (I'm not part of this so-called "all" that you speak of), there should be a provision about service and if you are in an area where AT&T isn't offered, there is recourse for you. Check into that. It's been a long while since I've seen an AT&T contract as I've been with VZW for a few years now.

OP: It seems weird that you're roaming in NYC. Are you a frequent traveller? Do you venture to lands where VZW has to use a partner tower? Do they even need partner towers? Seems to me that I am on board with this idea that there is no roaming issue but a bill pay issue. Is your iPhone now stuck with a bad ESN? Do you need to act fast before this hits your credit? I guarantee it has already shown up on your credit that you are behind in your bill so you may want to be prepared for not really being able to choose your own new carrier. You may have to choose by virtue of who has the smaller required deposit. I mean, if roaming is code for not paying a bill.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Check the coverage maps for both providers first. Look to see which one gives you the best coverage and speed/bandwidth.

And since you're moving, also check that area out as well.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I have used T-Mo, AT&T and Verizon up and down the eastern coast and T-Mo has a LOT of holes in it's service, even on major expressways.

I stayed with AT&T and I always have a signal, even in the boonies!

Pay no attention to the coverage maps as it is no more than a tool to mislead new customers.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Check the coverage maps for both providers first. Look to see which one gives you the best coverage and speed/bandwidth.

And since you're moving, also check that area out as well.

Agreed. Also, talk to friends or family in the areas you are interested in and see what carriers they use and if they are satisfied with them.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
AT&T is very strong in almost all parts of Florida. LTE in all the big metro areas solid.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
If asking for advice on this forum means getting bashed like this for no reason then it's the last time I will ever post here. I have my Verizon iPhone still and it had a clean esn. I feel no need to explain the rest. And to those who actually gave advice thank you. Man I've been a member of mac rumors for a few years and I've noticed a lot of these type of threads get crazy because people want to start trolling and derailing threads. Seems like that's where this is heading so any mod that sees this thread just close it. I'll take the advice I've gotten so far. Thanx

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
The real test, if you have an iPhone 5, you could try a prepaid plan from both carriers to see how coverage is. I did that and I found both to be good, but AT&T had LTE and T-mobile didn't. (That's before they rolled out LTE)

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
If asking for advice on this forum means getting bashed like this for no reason then it's the last time I will ever post here. I have my Verizon iPhone still and it had a clean esn. I feel no need to explain the rest. And to those who actually gave advice thank you. Man I've been a member of mac rumors for a few years and I've noticed a lot of these type of threads get crazy because people want to start trolling and derailing threads. Seems like that's where this is heading so any mod that sees this thread just close it. I'll take the advice I've gotten so far. Thanx

The arrogance is apart of MacRumors and sadly the moderators allow it. ):

It's very normal for cell phone companies to cancel contracts due to roaming. It costs them a fortune. AT&T might be the better choice unless you need unlimited data. I say AT&T because they use lower frequencies for their service and that makes the signal a lot better. They also have good LTE coverage and nice HSPA+ network to fall back on.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's very normal for cell phone companies to cancel contracts due to roaming. It costs them a fortune.

Still, OP could have put a stop to the suspicion simply by saying something like "I"m in NYC but I travel a lot." Given the lack of explanation for the roaming charges, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to speculate that it's a euphemism for not paying bills.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So if u don't pay bills, they cancel u out? That maybe a better trick than paying the ETF! ;) As long as ur willing to put up with collection/credit rating.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Still, OP could have put a stop to the suspicion simply by saying something like "I"m in NYC but I travel a lot." Given the lack of explanation for the roaming charges, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to speculate that it's a euphemism for not paying bills.

Why do I have to explain the roaming charges to anyone but Verizon? I asked a legit question about what other company to choose from. See this is what I mean when I said these threads get derailed. People want to question me instead of answering a simple question I asked. This is ridiculous. Macrumors has turned upside down over the last few years. I see threads turn into this daily. And again to those who helped by answering, THANK YOU! I still leaning towards Att so I will give myself a few more days to research.

----------

So if u don't pay bills, they cancel u out? That maybe a better trick than paying the ETF! ;) As long as ur willing to put up with collection/credit rating.

More ********..... Never paid a bill late my friend.

----------

More ********..... Never paid a bill late my friend.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Still, OP could have put a stop to the suspicion simply by saying something like "I"m in NYC but I travel a lot."

Why should he have to give this or any other explanation?

It's sad that people can't simply take a post at face value and just answer the questions asked without needing to fabricate some nefarious story to cast the OP in a negative light.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
OP, here's a question: were you traveling and roaming? The reason I ask is that it's likely you'll get fine signal in both Florida and NYC with either company, but if you're getting slammed with roaming charges for driving to, say, Ohio regularly, your best bet may be to look at who has good signal in that area, just to dodge the roaming issue entirely.

Alternately, find out what the local provider is in the area that's causing you roaming issues, and get a prepaid phone/SIM for that carrier. Then just forward your calls to the "roaming phone" for those times, just so you don't have to deal with the hassle of someone else nailing you for roaming issues.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, or be a troll.... I'm honestly curious as to why verizon would cancel a contract due to roaming... if they don't have roaming. Should other customers be worried?

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
OP, here's a question: were you traveling and roaming? The reason I ask is that it's likely you'll get fine signal in both Florida and NYC with either company, but if you're getting slammed with roaming charges for driving to, say, Ohio regularly, your best bet may be to look at who has good signal in that area, just to dodge the roaming issue entirely.

Alternately, find out what the local provider is in the area that's causing you roaming issues, and get a prepaid phone/SIM for that carrier. Then just forward your calls to the "roaming phone" for those times, just so you don't have to deal with the hassle of someone else nailing you for roaming issues.
Yeah travel back and forth from NY to north Carolina. I spoke to Verizon about it and it lasted about another 3 months before I got cut off. Only reason I even got upset is because I got a nice discount from the company I work for with Verizon. I'm moving to Florida because my company is opening a branch out there and I don't have to travel anymore. Aside from the fact most of my family lives there.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Also I'd like to add that Im skipping the 5S and Im just going to purchase another iPhone 5. I also am in need of a phone right away.

T Mobile is probably the cash best bet. They separate device from service, unlike ATT. And if you have a Verizon iPhone 5 the sim is unlocked for GSM so you'll save like $20 a month (which ATT charges as one bundled fee even if you bring your device)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.