Verizon Carrier Update?

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Changelog
Fixes to better handle carrier support.

Is that better? Will you download it now? The updates are always fixes to support new features or update support for existing features. Why you wouldn't download them is beyond me.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Changelog
Fixes to better handle carrier support.

Is that better? Will you download it now? The updates are always fixes to support new features or update support for existing features. Why you wouldn't download them is beyond me.
Because nowhere in the history of technology has an "update" broken anything? My phone has worked beautifully since Day 1. Why would I risk downloading an update that realistically has the potential to break something without knowing what to expect?

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Carrier settings updates are small files (about 10 kb) that are installed on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models). Carrier settings include updates to Access Point Names (APNs), MMS settings, features such as tethering, and default apps such as Stocks, Maps, and Weather. You might receive notifications periodically about installing a carrier-settings update.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It's a settings file. Not a software update. How does that "realistically have the potential to break something"? The worst that can happen is the APN gets busted, which A. is unlikely, the APN rarely changes. and B. can be fixed by using unlockit.co.nz or the iPhone Configuration Tool.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It's a settings file. Not a software update. How does that "realistically have the potential to break something"? The worst that can happen is the APN gets busted, which A. is unlikely, the APN rarely changes. and B. can be fixed by using unlockit.co.nz or the iPhone Configuration Tool.
I know what it is. I wanted to know what it is supposed to fix or improve, and asked to see if anyone has seen any tangible difference after updating.

If you're okay with just downloading everything that is pushed at you, great. Some of us want a little more information. No need to be condescending.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This +1. It doesn't even affect your jb or any other software/hardware hack, so I've never understood why people get trepidatious about it.
The updates are always fixes to support new features or update support for existing features. Why you wouldn't download them is beyond me.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I think this actually did fix something. I used to not be able to go from 3G->LTE without toggling Airplane mode. Now it'll automatically reconnect to LTE without me having to do that.

cwosigns

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I think this actually did fix something. I used to not be able to go from 3G->LTE without toggling Airplane mode. Now it'll automatically reconnect to LTE without me having to do that.
I don't see any difference. I've never had an issue reconnecting to LTE after having been on 3G. Glad yours has improved though.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I don't see any difference. I've never had an issue reconnecting to LTE after having been on 3G. Glad yours has improved though.
It only happened a few times - I almost always have LTE service. However, sometimes I'd get back within LTE range and it would stay on 3G until I toggled airplane mode. Go figure.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
This +1. It doesn't even affect your jb or any other software/hardware hack, so I've never understood why people get trepidatious about it.
I noticed two things so far:
1. Where I'm sitting, I usually get 1 bar. Now I have 3 bar. (I live in a basement)

2. Amber/Government alerts now appears for me under notification section.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I noticed two things so far:
1. Where I'm sitting, I usually get 1 bar. Now I have 3 bar. (I live in a basement)

2. Amber/Government alerts now appears for me under notification section.
Amber Government alerts have been there haha, this was a carrier update, nothing iOS related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.