Verizon CEO Suggests "3-4" OSes Ideal For Mobile Phone Diversity

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mkrishnan, Apr 2, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.informationweek.com/news...cle.jhtml?articleID=216402551&subSection=News

I find it mildly amusing that this is coming from a company that is developing its own new OS, although I guess that, to the list's credit, just WM, Android, iPhone OS, and BB OS comes to four already without any real provision for non-smartphones.

I guess, if I had to pick three to survive right now, I would bet on Apple and RIM and then leave the third one a question mark.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

3 or 4?

I'll pass....this is likely one where the market should decide...how many will buyer buy enough to get support?

iPhone OS
    Windows Mobile
    BlackBerry
    WebOS(assume it well enough to keep Palm around)
    Android
    LiMo
    Symbian

Also for a network made big announcements about "open devices' not to far back, this is a step I don't really see supporting those words

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Symbian has the vast majority of the market right now. More than 60% if I recall correctly.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Microsoft will never give up on WinMo even if its market share tanks for many many years. Together with Apple and RIM, that already makes three. In the short term, Palm might have a fighting chance as well. I don't see Nokia giving up soon, either. I don't think Samsung or HTC would want to be stuck with WinMo as their only OS alternative and I don't know if Symbian is a good fall back, as it is more or less controlled by Nokia. They may support one of the Linux variants on the side, most probably Android thanks to Google's marketing and support.

If the field is going to narrow down, it will happen through the smartphone companies without their own OS picking one exclusively or through one of the other players falling apart like Motorola. Palm is in the weakest financial position. If Pre does not sell well, I don't think they can stay in business for more than a year.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think in the end, smart cellphone operating systems will be down to:

iPhone OS--because of the extreme popularity of the iPhone
    Windows Mobile--because of the ease in synchronizing with Windows-based machines
    Blackberry OS--because of the strong popularity of Blackberry smartphones
    Android--because of the fact it's a true Open Source OS and the marketing power of Google behind it
    Symbian--because ot its large installed user base and the fact the #1 cellphone maker in the world (Nokia) still supports it

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure what Symbian's future is, to be honest. It was great in comparison to what was out there, when phones started bowing with it at the beginning of the decade. Since then, while it continues to offer smartphone features, it seems that more people buy those Nokia phones with Symbian and use some of their features but don't particularly use them in the MO of a modern "smart" phone. That line is being blurred a lot, anyway, since the "non-smart" phones can often sync calendars and contacts and send e-mails.