verizon claims iphone 4s corrodes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BruceWmsbrg, Nov 10, 2012.

1. BruceWmsbrg macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S had a problem where when a background GPS app was running the phone would hang or restart several times a day. I kept hoping it was a software problem, but when iOs 6 came out, it actually got worse. Since it was inside the warranty period, I exchanged it for a replacement with Verizon.

A month later I get a notice that they have "discovered water damage and corrosion" and so are not honoring the warranty on the phone. After a few days, I managed to get this picture out of them. They found dirt at the bottom of the charge port. (I wear a white powdery deodorant that gets down into my pockets and into things in my pockets, so I know exactly what it is. A blast of air would clean it out.)

I've talked with 3 people at verizon who are unable to say anything other than "the photo shows corrosion from water damage." The most recent person at first said it showed that the moisture sensor had tripped and when I said it should turn red, where was it, changed her story that it hadn't tripped but that the phone was corroded even though it hadn't been dunked in water. Then she told me that phones often get corroded from being in pockets.

Am I mistaken, or is the bottom of an iPhone charge port plastic? AFAIK an iPhone is plastic and aluminum, and the idea that a bit of moisture could corrode part of the case it patently absurd.

I guess I have no recourse here, but would be interested if someone has an idea.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iphone has a year warranty with Apple.
    Why are you sending it to Verizon?
    And if they discovered water damage and the moist indicators are tripped even if you bring it to Apple they will tell you the same.
    Pay the 4S replacement fee to get another one for $150.
    And yes metal can get corroded. The bottom is metal and it can and does happen if its gets in contact with anything liquid. Its not absurd, pictures dont lie.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

What u got acid for deodorant? :cool: That pretty bad.

4. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Yeah that's corrosion. They're told to look for any green on the ports. They contacts should always be gold.

5. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

A little off topic but we both have 9900 as the last 4 digits of out phone number, if that's the IMEI on the bottom of the pic.