Verizon contract has expired and interested in an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HowBoutIt?, Jun 12, 2011.

1. HowBoutIt? macrumors member

Hello-
    I have a few questions about the iPhone. I tried one for 2 weeks when they first came out but my fingers were too big, I kept touching other characters. Not sure if the first iPhone had it so the keyboard could be turned on the side, but that does help some. I was told by another person to get an app called (I think) Swype? Is this any good? Does it work on the iPhone? I sent the website some questions twice and never got a reply. to me, that is something that usually turns me totally off.

I have Verizon. My contract just ended and I have 2 New Every Two amounts, one worth $35 and the other for the MiFI2200 worth $50. I think if I get the iPhone from Verizon it would fall under data device like the MiFI2200 so I would get the $50 off of that.

I have tried to understand the difference between getting the service through ATT & Verizon but I am not good with this techie stuff so it pretty much went over my head.

will iPhone be coming out with a 4G phone soon? In Salt Lake the Verizon map (which was really messed up the way they showed where 4G was available, but it has gotten a bit better) shows some 4G but not much. With other devices they can go back and forth depending on if you are i a 4G area or 3G area. can the iPhone do this too or does it just stay in 3G since there is no iPhone currently that works using 4G?

I am open to suggestions between ATT & Verizon. Or any other smartphone for that matter. I have never used a smartphone, sent a text, but that is not because I am retarded, I have never had a phone that did these functions. Now that I can upgrade if I stay with Verizon, I might think seriously about getting an iPhone or a smartphone or Droid x2 or some other phone that is getting great reviews.

thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions, etc.

2. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

Never had a smartphone? Well then...it may take a while for all the cool features to sink in no matter what brand you buy!
    Best thing to do is hit the Verizon store and test some of them babies out! I've tried them all but stubbornly refused to look at iPhone for years. I finally did check it out and never looked back.

For all around smoothness and super features (especially with iOS 5 coming soon) I don't think you will be disappointed. It's your preference which carrier to pick one up at. I'm Verizon all the way.

As far as Swype...that's a Droid feature (so far)

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This was the biggest learning curve for me. It took me about 4 months to learn to type on my iPhone with any consistent speed & accuracy.
    I was frustrated for a long time, now I can type fairly well on it. I wouldn't want to type a novel, but a quick email/text is no problem at all now.

As with all things, you will eventually program your muscle memory. Big or small fingers, it doesn't matter...you'll eventually get the hang of it.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think it took me about 3 days to get used to it. I still make some spelling mistakes as my thumbs aren't on the same page as my brain. haha

5. pyro008 macrumors 6502

For AT&T vs Verizon, you really need to talk to people in your area and areas you need to use the phone since no 1 carrier is universally better than the other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. AT&T also seems to be more generous with their discounts, so you should look into that for both carriers also. Verizon does currently have Unlimited data, but since this is your first smartphone, I think its very unlikely that the 2GB plan for AT&T is going to hold you back at all.

6. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

wait, wait, wait

well I have waited too long. It is time but they still do not have Salt Lake City covered with 4G. it would be the Droid x2 I think it is called. I need a good solid smartphone that does not take too much brain power. where I live now I can't even get my MIFI2200 3G to work. So the phone will by pass the need that the hotspots need to stay in one place or carry them around which is not the wy I want to deal with 3-4G. I just wish they could get their act together with the maps they use, what the agents say about 4G being available. I do not get it why it is so hard to get a straight answer if an address has 4G. I understand the maps can't be perfect but come on to tell me who has live in SLC his whole life that there is 4G and they show me the map. the call it 4G in DT SLC but the map, if you look close at it the 4G is out by the airport and some of it in the Great Salt Lake and the Salt Flats.

I have been to the store but I get confused. I have to read up on the phones and make a choice. One agent has marker my file as getting free restocking fees due to all the MIFI problems I have had. There is one of the Droid phones that require 4G, can work with 3G but gong back and forth is not one of its strong points. it has great battery life, strong reviews and forum posts. Really I have read maybe 2 bad reviews out of 100. Now the name has slipped my mind. Since I am retarded with this kind of technology, getting something that required less left brain power was a big plus.

After having a cell phone for 10 years, having never sent a text since the MOTO phone did not have that feature, I am waiting for the day I can get a phone, a decent international calling plan, and data plan without losing my life savings, I will be headed in the right direction.

If anybody can come up with one of the new Droid cell phones (smartphones) that has a great battery, nice large display and keyboard. I can't believe I forgot the name. it has been embedded in my brain since I first read about it.

Open to some suggestions. Anybody have a Droid that can use the cloud to deal with macs Mobile Me? Is Mobile Me hard to use? I have a friend that has it and it is always "down" or for some reason he can't log-in and get everything synced.

I heard Swype at one pint was good for peep with big fingers, but I diode not know it was only for Droids. I will not get it because the owners will not reply to my emails. Not a good sign.

7. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

cosmo

my problem with the iPhone keyboard no matter which way the keyboard is turned my fingers are too big. it takes me 15 mounts to type a 4 sentence reply. I have heard of this Droid phone, and I can't remember for the life of me what model it is. the reviews on the Verizon forums are fantastic. although the 4G is iffy where I live ion Salt Lake City, I wish Verizon would get their act together with their map.
    if anybody know the Droid phone that has a great battery life, is new this sumer, is related to an earlier versionof a last-year model. I think it is the x or x2 or something like this. it sounds like my way to go not too complicated but just right for my first smartphone. any way I look at it, I will get ripped off trying to decide what I need and what I do not. would love to find someone who really enjoys helping people, but that has not happened. anybody want to trade nutrition/wellness from a registered dietician and exercise physiologist for some phone courses on the use of this Droid phone. I just have to remember which one it is that is easy to use, great battery life, and great reviews. lol

8. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

Munchkinsdad

my contracts are up with Verizon so I have the New Every Two for the data device $50 and the cell phone $35. think most iPhones and smartphones will have me use the data $50. I would go back to the iPhone. Well, I should not say go back, because when they first came out I had one for 2 weeks and the keyboard drove me crazy. My fingers were too big, I kept making mistakes. I hear if I go with the iPhone to use ATT. I do not understand the ways the services use the towers but I heard one is something like HDMI, no that is not right but maybe close, and the other from AtT is SMS?

do you know the Droid that is getting great reviews for sometime now, great battery life, a second generation of a previous Droid. For some reason Droid X or X2 is in my mind. the learning curve is not too steep, and I just keep getting requests to get it, it is the best Droid so far. In Salt Lake City we do not have the 4G unless you go by Verizon's map and go out to the great salt lake salt flats before you hit the actual lake

If anybody comes up with the Droid that has the best battery life, great phone, excellent reviews, fairly straight forward in learning, let me know. I had the name for months since everybody was telling to look at it but it has been awhile and I forgot the name.

I think if I got the iPhone I would wait for the 4G iPhone. But still the Droid,the one I can't remember the name might be the way for me. Not going to waste my money on the mobile hot spots anymore, but the MiFI2200was awesome on trips.

The one time in my life I need a mentor. anybody interested in trading some nutritional counseling fro a registered dietician and exercise physiologist for Droid courses or iPhone courses? The iPhone, if they have the 4G I think I could manage it without the Mobile Me, but the Droid OS is brand new for me and would ned some help. LoL

Not sure to stay with Verizon if I get the iPhone or go with AtT? I do not understand the SMS with ATT and the HDMI or something like that with Verizon. But the HDMI are those cables, sorry.

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

I too have big fingers and when I first got my iPhone, I'd constantly hit the wrong keys when I first got it and it was frustrating, but after about a week of use, I could text on it quickly and now, I send out texts like theres no tomorrow. :)

Also, I recently switched back to an iPhone about a week ago (I had an HTC Thunderbolt, a Verizon 4G LTE smartphone). DO NOT GET A 4G PHONE AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Lol, no seriously, don't. I have great 4G coverage here where I live in Massachusetts, and I loved the speed, but battery life was AWFUL. It got MAX 6 hours of battery life with 1 push email account, wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off, no games, 10-20 texts, 1 phone call, checking twitter every 2-4 hours, viewing 1-4 webpages, and no apps running in the background. Battery life was just plain awful. And that's very conservative, light use. With normal use, I'd get 3-4 hours of battery life max. Absolutely terrible battery life. The phone itself was a beast... I loved it, I loved the speed, customizability... everything about it! It was awesome, but what's the point of all those great things when you can only have it for 3-6 hours before it's dead? It was annoying, frustrating, and pointless. Now with the iPhone with my normal to heavy usage, I can get 2+ days of battery life easily.

So yeah, don't get a Verizon 4G LTE Phone now, you'll just end up getting pissed off at how quick the phone dies like I was.

I was in your shoes so I know exactly how you feel, by the way. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

10. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

hey

Sorry for the delay. anyway, it sounds like you had the Thunderbolt with 3G, switched to the iPhone 4 with Verizon had trouble with the size of the keypad too, but then I lost ya. What are you using know? The iPhone with Verizon? Satisfied with it and got used to the keypad?

11. detroit1 macrumors regular

wait till september! i hear the next one has 3d cameras on the back!

/s

12. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

detroit

I have never had an iPhone nor any kind of smartphone for that matter. Since I have my Verizon contract that needs to be renewed and a $50 "New Every Two", so I was thinking about getting a Droid phone. I am behind the times, having never even sent a text. Kind of living in the past

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So, you're for sure not getting an iPhone? If you want an Android phone I recommend the Droid 3, the Droid X2 or the Droid Incredible 2. Otherwise I'd wait for the iPhone 5 (coming in September). :)