Verizon COO: "We are not going to have any flaws on the execution of the iPhone launc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitard, Jan 25, 2011.

1. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ws_on_the_execution_of_the_iphone_launch.html

That quote is the part that stands out to me. Hiring Customer Service, etc, and training them can be done in the drop of a hat. It's the network I wanted to know about, and knowing they've been improving on that for the iPhone launch on top of their usual growth is great to read.

D.

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

see i was more worried about the sites crashing during pre-orders. i have always had faith in the verizon network and i really dont think its going to have any problems handling the iphone data. i dont remember the exact article but i read that verizon android phones, especially the droid x, use way more data than the average iphone. all those widgets and background data really do add up, datawise. maybe the iphone will alleviate some of that droid data consumption. either way thanks for the article, i will sleep a little easier tonight tbh

3. Vizin macrumors 6502a

I'm not surprised. Verizon's entire marketing strategy is based on their network. Network troubles at launch would be an easy way to disillusion a boatload of new (and existing) customers.

4. digitard thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitard

I agree completely.

I know Verizon has been doing huge upgrades to it's 3G Network over the past few years for increased capacity and reliability, etc, and I know they have grand plans for LTE in the next 24 months. It's just nice to hear it "from the horses mouth" so to speak, and not industry analysts, etc.

I think Verizon's site will take a little beating, but I'm sure they're going to have every possible checkout server in rotation during this period, and if you can order from Apple, too, then that should help.

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

A lot of people on MR act like this has not been in the works for a long time. Apple did not give them rights to an iPhone in November.

Will be interesting to see how it really goes off. What release goes off without a hitch? Good to hear, but obviously a COO will not say they are going to fail horribly after falling on our ass. :p

6. digitard thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitard

Definitely.

Verizon has been in the loop for a long time. I mean they put a CDMA tower ON CAMPUS at Apple's HQ and provide them w/ everything they need for the current CDMA infrastructure so they can work it. That took some time by itself.

They may have only been in active "okay lets lock this down" for a year or so, but they've been in the "when you can drop that exclusive lets talk" courting for a long time.

Plus they already had an aggressive network blueprint/building outline. They've been hard at work regardless, and once they got into "gonna happen" I'm sure they solidified it even more over the past 12-18 months.

7. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I don't really think they are going to have that huge of a rush either. Now if Verizon had come out with a band new model of the iPhone and not just another 4 then I could see a huge demand. But the 4 has been out for a while now, and most of the hard core "apple" people already have the phone. They are not going to get the mass amount of people like the AT&T launches when it was exclusive. I wonder if there will be anyone camping out for 3-4 days before the launch

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Depends on how you spin things with Verizon Android user data usage. In a nutshell, yes Verizon Android users consume more data per phone than Apple's iPhone users. But Android users tend to be more "tech savvy/heavy data users" While Apple iPhone's reach out to the masses (including my sister who uses like 50MB of data each month on her iphone)

That's why Android users use the most data because Android doesn't appeal to the moms/grandma's. Whereas the iPhone has proven to be a soccer mom selling device. Some of who use data and some of them use very little.

But even way, I am so glad the iPhone is going to Verizon. I am a longtime ATT/Cingular customer. The service has really gotten bad (especially since 2008 with the iPhone 3G released in terms of data speeds in congested metro areas).

We ATT customers won't see any immediate data congestion release since many are still under contract. But hopefully by this time next year, those 10% or so users who switched over from Verizon to ATT just for the iPhone will switch back to Verizon and lighten up the ATT network.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

He, he....watch the web site go down when preordering starts. Jut like AT&T did last year.. :eek:

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There are many myths and misconceptions that have arisen since the iPhone came out, mostly because of AT&T or Apple trying to spin excuses.

I've been doing mobile devices for over a decade, with plenty of traffic analysis.

Smartphones in general don't use much data. Web browsing is the least intensive type, because it doesn't require realtime response. Neither is file downloading, for the same reason.

Realtime transfers such as YouTube put more stress on the network, but usually can degrade and continue if the connection slows down.

Even ATT has publicly stated that the iPhone didn't account for the majority of their data increase. Instant messaging apps did. And that's true for every carrier. Short messages stress the system because 1) there's so damned many of them, 2) each one requires a connection authenticate/build/disconnect.

Verizon has had the time to boost their backhaul by at least a factor of five, and often much more, in the past few years. Nevertheless, I think in some areas we will see data transfer slowdowns, especially at first when people are going crazy trying out their new iPhone :)

However, because of the separation of voice and data, Verizon should not suffer the dropped calls that ATT has had.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Fact: Verizon can't even keep up a static FAQ page up on announcement day.

Heck, even the much larger Apple servers went down on the huge numbers of iPhone 4 orders.

12. elan123 macrumors 6502

Almost 100% guaranteed!

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately, and similar to AT&T, Verizon will be in for a rude awakening. It is just simple fact that you cannot come close to estimating how many people will hit the system, potential purchasers, purchasers, and those who just want to "see" what there is to offer. Not to mention those who find it funny to take part in slamming a site because that shows a sign of maturity and a giant F you to VZW.

There are many VZW customers out there who swore off the iPhone and all things Apple that are likely going to jump on the iPhone bandwagon. I've been reading over at the various Droid forums I frequent and noticed that those who were saying a mere 2 months ago how their Droid could never be the iPhone because the Droid is just too powerful and those very people are discussing pre-orders today. The iPhone is a highly desirable phone. I know in some ways I miss it but each time I successfully complete a call on my Droid, I thank VZW and their aged CDMA network. :)

Their servers will get slammed, the COO is a fool for putting that in print. Take notes from the AT&T launches and don't pull your wang out yet man. If AT&T had issues I cannot see how VZW wouldn't.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'm certain there will be problems.

15. bergmef macrumors 6502a

On the other side of the coin, I give him all the credit in the world for putting it into print. They do ok, the reason is him. They fail, then it him. He stands by his work. We will see on the 3rd.

We have so many where I work that won't step up and take responsibility for the work they are supposed to do. They always need an out.

I think it's refreshing ... stand and be counted, we'll see in a week.

16. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I completely disagree. I think that people with the same mindset as yours will be very surprised when the numbers are released for just how many people purchased the Verizon iPhone 4.

And I would consider myself to be a "hardcore Apple" fan, but I have never had an iPhone. I refused to switch providers just for the phone, and I know I'm not alone on this. There are plenty of "hardcore" Apple consumers who have done the same thing. I've been using my iPod Touch as the next best thing to hold me over until I finally have the iPhone. Fortunately, that will change two weeks from today.

17. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the ordering system will have problems the day the phone goes on sale, but I don't really care about that. I'm confident the thing that matters, which is the network, will continue to function just fine.

18. bergmef macrumors 6502a

One thing they are doing is splitting it up. As it looks to me, only current customers on the 3rd. Switchers later. If that is true, I would make entering your current number first and if you are, then you go to a completely different server, one just for ordering and not hosting anything else. The other big hitter I would look at is accessing customer data. That one needs to really be able to handle the load since it's not static. We'll see in a week.

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

He's talking about their network, not their servers. #readingcomprehensionfail

20. darngooddesign, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't care what the COO says, if you're smart you'll get your phone ordered before the west coast comes online.

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

While it does seem like a #readingcomprehensionfail, doesn't mean others won't do the same thing - take that title/quote out of context and slam Verizon if anything like what happened to AT&T happens to them.

22. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

West Coast will have an advantage, I think.

The ordering process seems to be purely online at this point, and 3am EST is only midnight for us :)

23. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

Yeah, i bet their network can handle Iphone 4 data just fine. Its Blackberrry data, thats been up and down recently, that they cant handle...

We'll see how their network is holding up come June....

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope, East coast people will get their orders in without a hitch and by the time the west coast comes online the servers will be buggered and the delays will be awful.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Umm, isn't the entire US going to go live at the same time?

3 AM Eastern = 12 AM Pacific