Verizon customers must wait for iPhone 5 ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geffen, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Geffen macrumors 6502

I called today and stopped into a Verizon store since i purchased an iphone 4 back in February 2011 and was told i must wait until my October upgrade eligible date of 10-07-12 before i can purchase my iphone 5 otherwise i would have to pay full price. I'm surprised Verizon isn't letting everyone who purchased the iphone 4 back in February of 2011 get an iphone 5 on the release date.

2. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

See the "Verizon Upgrade Thread". It seems like you are stuck unless you want to pay the early termination fee and get a new phone number and 2 year contract. Or pay the ETF and go to AT&T and port your old number. Read the thread for a better explanation. Since you only have 1 month to wait I would suggest you wait it out, if you can.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Don't be surprised, it is all in the contract you signed.

What plan are you under you may have another surprise coming.

4. brando123b macrumors regular

My upgrade date is October 7th as well, I got the Verizon iPhone on release day. It's not too bad, only about 2 weeks to wait.

5. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in just the 450 min call plan and i was in the old unlimited data plan until it was changed on Verizon.

6. brandnewrock22 macrumors newbie

I know that Verizon used to allow Best Buy to move upgrades up by a month. Try calling your local store and have them check your upgrade eligibility? Obviously, you won't be able to pre-order online, but you still may able to score an iPhone on launch day with their pre-sale.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What do you mean you were in the unlimited plan.

8. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

Verizon had an unlimited data plan at one time but thats long gone.

9. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I gotta say, I don't have verizon- and I am not AT&T's biggest fan. But, I rarely read anything good about Verizon and their crappy tactics.

They seem like a company of arrogance to me- a lot of force; and matter of fact.

AT&T has been know for years to bump people, or credit to offset the price.
    Just observation by reading threads about Verizon. No direct experience with them of course.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Yes I'm still under contract on that plan. Just wondering if you are still on that plan. If so you cn keep it if you want.

11. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

Some people may have been grandfathered into the unlimited plan. Since i was a new Verizon customer when i got the iphone 4 in 2011 it doesn't say unlimited data anymore on my data plan.

12. Hntjohns macrumors newbie

I know an (annoying) guy that constantly speaks about his job, selling phones at the Verizon store. I know without question every store associate can move up an upgrade date 10 days.

I think it would be worth a trip to the Verizon store to speak with a sales associate. If the regular floors guys can move it up 10 days, I'm sure a manager or one of their contacts could move it up a bit more.

13. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Yes, you have to wait 18 months into your contract.

14. macjunkie33 macrumors member

Short supply?

Pretty lame Verizon can't allow early upgrades. My conspiracy theory is the iPhone is in short supply and Apple won't let early upgrades to ease the supply chain. Read today a lot of delayed screens just shipped from Japan. Just in time for that Oct 7 date that millions will be eligible for. Call me crazy but I can wait a few weeks for the new phone. My iPhone4 is still amazing.

15. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Same here. Bought in feb 2011 but luckily I can use a family upgrade in the meantime :D some told me before I found I could use another upgrade that if you get lucky w Verizon corporate rep and say your phone broke and you just really want a new phone but don't want to pay retail price.

16. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Millions of VZ customers will be upgrading this week. So saying VZ customers must wait is wrong.

Back in Feb 2011, Verizon made a deal with you. They said they would pay part of the cost for the new phone, if you agreed to do a 2 year contract.

Simple stuff. Turns out they are going to be nice guys and let you upgrade well before the 2 year agreement, but not this week.

17. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

If you had unlimited data when you signed up, unless you changed your plan, you should still have unlimited data. I was a new customer during the Feb release of the iPhone4 and got my unlimited data plan then and I still have it today. You'd better call them and find out what happened to yours.

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Buy the iPhone 5 full price. Keep it till you reach your 14 days (OCT 4th or 5th). Go to your local Verizon wireless store and talk with the manager. Have the manager call the "COOS" department to have them extend the 14 day return policy to 16 or 17 days. Come back 2 days later (Oct 7th) and return the phone. Get a refund in full. Then buy the phone back at discounted price. You may have to pay a $35 restocking fee but the manager can waive it.... This is exactly what I’m going to do.