Verizon Customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wayneholbrook, Sep 8, 2012.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Can any Verizon customers confirm if you can finally talk, text or use data at the sametime once LTE was activated on the network?

2. formerpc macrumors 6502

As long as you're on LTE, yes- you can do it all at once. :)

3. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Thank you. I'm seriously considering going to Verizon this year but using data and talking at the sametime was important.

4. formerpc macrumors 6502

Do you live in an area that has strong and widespread LTE coverage? If not, this feature will mean nothing. I hope you can get what you're looking for.

5. cynics macrumors G3

As long as the phone is on LTE you can talk and data. You'll lose data if it drops back to 3G.

If the phone is SVDO then you can do voice and data even on 3G. Only a couple HTC phones ate SVDO though.

6. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

I really hope the new iPhone will be 4G especially if this is true.

7. formerpc macrumors 6502

I sincerely wonder why more phones don't use SVDO. The infrastructure is there, the components are available, so why haven't the phone manufacturers worked to improve our mobile experience?

8. famerdave macrumors member

I don't understand Verizon LTE coverage map. It's like they only roll out in the city, and not the outskirts. Half the time, the coverage ONLY works outside. :/ Where as ATT did Raleigh NC, but also covered like all of I-40 till Benson.

9. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

There are four phones that can do simultaneous voice and data over 3G (aka EV/DO) for Verizon.

HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Rezound
    HTC Incredible 4G
    Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've tested this on all four of them. It works.

All LTE devices Verizon has launched can do voice and data at the same time while on LTE. Only those four can do it, so far at least, while on EV/DO.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

4G will even make Verizon feel like a GSM network, SIM cards and all. Even international roam without doing anything at all other than setting foot in that country :).

No more *228 either, just put the SIM in, and the phone works, both the CDMA side and the LTE side. I heard doing a *228 on a 4G LTE phone may actually fry the SIM card, but don't quote me on that one, I am not going to try it.

11. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

When the Thunderbolt was released it used to because their system tried to reprogram a card which couldn't be reprogramed. However I'm sure that's been solved.

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think now it will just tell you something along the lines of, "It is not needed to program your phone, thank you for calling Verizon Wireless"

13. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Indeed. Verizon's LTE launch was questionable aha. I bought the Thunderbolt the day it came out. Pretty sick phone, and I miss LTE dearly. Really looking forward to 6th-generation iPhone!

14. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you are talking about. Have you looked at the coverage map/do you live in Raleigh? I live you in Cary close to Apex and I have super strong 4G. All of inside of the beltline is covered with 4G and outside of the beltline as well. It extends all the way out past 540 on the east side and goes past 55 on the West. They have great 4G coverage in the Triangle area.

Also of course they are going to hit the cities first...there are more people there.

Edit: Looking at the map though you are right 4G ends right before Benson, it looks like you will be getting it soon. They haven't made it all the way down 40 to 95 yet. They do have really good coverage in the triangle though.