Verizon does not allow "new customers" options with minutes/texts now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Jun 29, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I logged into Verizon and it's official. When you go on shop for plans. There is no option to choose tiered minutes plans for new customers (no 700/1400 minute options). No option to choose not to have texts.

Guess Verizon wants to shove "unlimited minutes/texts" down new customers throats and force shared data at the same time.

Funny how I don't see any forced unlimited data options with these new plans.

2. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Yup if you wanted to select your own minutes you needed to jump on a plan before the 28th, the new plans suck IMO.

3. emacna1 macrumors regular

The new shared plans have been well known for over a month now...

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

They make even less sense for a single line plan. For family plans I can at least see an argument but for a single line plan I don't see how anyone can justify it.

5. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I've known this. But this was the first time I've logged into Verizon's website to look at the plans.

I have both ATT and Verizon service. Not planning on switching any of my tiered minutes plans.

And I do have grandfathered unlimited Verizon LTE data plan from my Gnex phone that I use exclusively in my LTE Verizon iPad without throttling or Verizon disabling data (like ATT does if you try to put microSIM from phone into ipad).

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Wow thanks for the heads up... my billing would've gone up about $10-15. Sheesh, greedy bastards.

7. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I have a quandry, I have a 3 line family plan with VZ. I have unlimited data on a 4s (mine, carried over from a legacy BB plan) and a Droid Pro (my brother's 2nd Android phone). Now my mom wants to upgrade her dumb phone (with no data plan at all) to a 4/4s. I'm wondering if they're going to try to force me into one of these other plans and risk losing my $200/month in November when my contract is up. The worst part is that she wants the smart phone but doesn't need it. Even worse is that she wants the iPhone because she loves her Touch (that I gave her for Christmas) and wants to have those features on her phone. :(

8. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

The way it works is like this:
    1. Your mom's line: If she uses subsidy upgrade she will have option of selecting the minimal $30/2GB data plan.
    2. You can keep your unlimited data plans for the first two lines: IF you pay full price/ebay/craigslist price. But if you use the subsidy upgrade you will be forced to a tiered data plan

3. The other option is to switch to the shared data plans completely.

So you will be able to keep your tiered minutes/texts plans if you choose to.

9. JAT macrumors 603

They seem to have dumped all tiered minutes plans in favor of this new shiite and ONE prepaid plan that does not address family plans at all. I knew they were changing, but this is ridiculous.

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. ****ed us individual plan holders over.

Does the new plans come with a mobile hotspot option for our iPhones for free...? o_O

11. JAT macrumors 603

Actually, yes. Pretty sure the Share Everything includes hotspot on all compatible devices. But not enough data for that, in my book. Plus, overage is now $15/GB, I think it used to be $10.

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Yeah thank you I just came to that realization. Mobile hotspot sounds all nifty and cool but I will reach the limit pretty quickly.

This is ridiculous. Just ludicrous.
    In South Korea, for about 54,000 won a month (estimably 47.25$ by today's exchange rate) we get unlimited data on 3G, a pretty damn good amount of minutes and texts. These South Korean companies know that data is where it's at now. And unlike ATT and Verizon, they compete by providing their clients with cheaper prices than collude like cartels to screw them over.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The carriers are changing their cash cows. They know the demand of voice calling and texting are on the decline. They're not idiots. If Verizon/AT&T still allowed low tiered texting and minute plans more users would be switching over to them to save money.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

So since they only offer unlimited voice/texting, it cracks me up that when you run their new "let us find the right plan for you" wizard, it starts by asking how many minutes and texts you send a month.

Why bother asking that, if the only plan you can get has unlimited voice/text. :confused:

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Verizon needs the money for bigger bonuses for the executives, not to improve service or infrastructure. It's purely a huge increase in rates.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ironic comment, considering how large Verizon's LTE network is compared to every other wireless provider in the country. :D