Verizon early termination fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GrandPhrase, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Hi, i am still under my contract which terminates next year with verizon. If i were to preorder the iphone 5 when it is available to do so, i purchase it unlocked or at full retail price essentially.. So, what happens next? Do i have to call verizon to end my contract with my iphone 4 or can i just plug the iphone 5 into itunes --> automatically transfer # and service to iphone 5 and auto cancel iphone 4 contract ? and since my contract with iphone 4 will be terminated would i have to pay the ETF as i have alrdy payed for the iphone 5 at full retail? thanks.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Your contract is not tied to the iPhone 4 it is tied to Verizon. Verizon doesn't care what phone you use as long as you continue to pay for your service.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Not sure i understand what you are doing here. Are you moving to a different carrier.

If not you do not need to worry about the ETF, just buy the iPH5 and then have Verizon move your service to that new phone.

Then you can Keep, sell or give away the phone you have now.

4. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

If my 2 yr contract isnt tied to my iphone 4, then why do we need to pay the early termination fee? I thought it was tied to my iphone + the service

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

You only pay the ETF if you end the contract early. Like DeaconGraves said they do not care what phone you have just that you keep paying the agreed upon price.

6. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry if my question was unclear.. yes i am sticking with verizon.. and how come there is no early termination fee? is it because i am purchasing the iphone 5 at full retail price despite me being under a contract?

also would the phone number and service be ported through itunes activation or do i have to call verizon?

----------

well wouldnt i need to end my contract? i wouldnt want to pay for service for both my iphone 5 and iphone 4..

sorry, its my first time going through the getting a new phone while under a contract process

7. nabechu macrumors 6502

There's no early termination fee because you're not ending your contract, just changing phones. You'll have to call up verizon after you get your iphone 5 so you can use it on their network.

8. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

oh..

so the $199 iphone 5 is only to create a new contract and the $649 or whatever the full retail price is, allows you to keep your contract without any ETF right?

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Think of it like this, you signed a contract to pay verizon X for 2 years. that is all. As long as you keep paying them they do not care what phone you have. The phone you took home with you when you started that contract was yours as soon as the 14 day trial was over (trial might have been 30 days), from that point if you wanted out of the contract you would need to pay the ETF but the phone was yours to keep.

I am pretty sure that you will need Verizon to set your new iPH5 up on your exisiting contract. You will not be able to move your exisiting number to your new phone without getting Verizon invloved.

----------

Correct

----------

Then sell your old phone if you want to help pay for the iPH5

10. nabechu macrumors 6502

The $199 is for new contracts or upgrades, which will extend your contract for another 2yrs. The $649 is off contract, so you just need verizon to transfer service from your old phone to the iphone 5, that's all. Btw, none of these involve paying an ETF.

11. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks that helped me out a lot. nice people here lol.

----------

thanks a lot to you too real simple

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Good luck with the preorder, I’m a little jealous of those who are.

13. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys dont leave yet i have one more question..

Well im 17 and im in college but my parents still dont trust me on what i use my allowance on..

Is there a way so that my parents wont find out that i got an iphone 5?

--> i pay for iphone 5 with my debit card online, then call verizon to transfer the service from iphone 4 to iphone 5

My parents wont know right, as the monthly price of service wont change..?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, really?:rolleyes:
    Sure, we'll help you fool your parents.
    How about some assistance cheating on your college term papers too?

15. GrandPhrase thread starter macrumors 6502

cheating is worse lol

i mean i know the cliched "im old enough to handle things myself" but my parents were born overly worrisome and have a lack of trust for me even from the beginning - nothing on me its just how they are

so is it possible?

16. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

By going behind their back, you are giving them reason to not trust you. Try talking to them and if it's their money and they say they don't want you to spend it on a phone, I'd listen to them. They can stop the flow of money whenever they want. Be honest with them and perhaps you can earn some trust. Do some research on what you can sell your current phone for to offset the cost of the new phone.

In the end, remember it's just a phone.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sorry to add my two cents, but it appears your parents may be justified in their concern about how you spend your money. So be it.

There will probably be some sort of charge of their account, like activation maybe. Not sure if they will notice it. But, they will not see the $199 charge.

18. ja2ed macrumors member

On the same subject of the ETF I have a question of my own. I have read pretty much everywhere through apple.com you are unable to purchase the IPhone 5 full retail (doesn't have to be unlocked for me I don't care). Couldn't I just add a line and when the phone comes activate it on my line and pay the ETF. By the way I was searching and the ETF for verizon is $350 right? While pre ordering through Verizon's website is another option (It is said they will accept full retail pricing orders) last year I didn't have top notch experience. I would really love to go through apple.com this year, but if my only other choice is through Verizon so be it!

Thanks for any help it is appreciated.

19. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Of course it's possible. Get a job.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    Well said.
    Also there will be a $36 upgrade/activation fee on the account.