Verizon Early Termination Fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomrinny, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tomrinny macrumors member

I bought my iPhone 5 on verizon from an independent retailer today. I added a new line to my account. The guy that sold me the phone didn't seem to know what he was doing. For some odd reason when it came to picking a plan, it gave him an error from verizon and he had to type all the plan details in manually. (Plan name, minutes, etf etc...) I guess he didn't know that smartphones are supposed to be a $350 etf. He put it in as $175. Everything on my phone/plan is working correctly so it definitely went through. On all three copy's of the contract I signed ( one for vzw, one for the store, and one for me) it says: Early Termination fee: $175. If I were to actually go ahead and cancel the line would they honor the $175 ETF instead of charging $350?

2. stooley macrumors regular

Which retailer? Not aware of any that can manually specify that info.

3. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

Walmart. I actually watched it pop up and him type all the info in. I had to also tell him which number was for activating the SIM card. The computer was also unable to activate it on their end as well so he had to make a call to verizon to activate it.

4. stooley macrumors regular

They can't specify anything at Wally. Vzw would lose a mint ;). The cs rep he called did it all. Now he may have given you a printed manual agreement since he could not do it and cs had to. I would call cs to verify the term fee. You clearly know it should be 350 and I am sure vzw has it at 350. Your choice if you try to argue the point.

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I have an ETF of $175 on my invoice packed in the box with my VZW.com order. Looked odd to me too.

6. tomrinny thread starter macrumors member

It does actually say on the bottom of the paper I signed in the fine print that you agree to pay the early termination fee for canceling the line "as stated on this receipt." So I guess I would have a pretty good argument haha. Are these actually legally binding documents?

Also just to point out: The iPhone 5 is not yet on Verizon's list of advanced devices. Located here: http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/advanced_devices.html

Maybe that's why it went through?

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

Goodluck!:D

These Big companies have tons of lawyers that will SCREW you.
    you will be spending more on the lawyer that you'll be hiring compared to the difference $175.00

Imagine how these companies (AT&T, Verizon) can get away with their definition go "unlimited" and how they loosely use 4G.
    i can argue, based on technicality that both statements/claims are wrong and misleading..BUT i don't have the time to take them to court.
    i'll definitely lose anyway.

8. ElZeus macrumors regular

Call and ask what your etf is, if it is $175 cancel it sell your phone and get another :D

9. imazu macrumors regular

My ETF is $175 for 1 year contract only instead of 2 years.