Verizon Expanding 4G LTE (Again)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Jul 18, 2012.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

Oct 31, 2009
    A Natural State
    According to its website, VZW is once again expanding its reach of 4G. Here's their press release.

Enough to make anyone switch?

I know my hometown is now covered, so yes, AT&T is still faster, but it doesn't matter if you can't get a decent signal.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Aug 27, 2011
    By the end of 2013 supposedly anywhere you got a 3G signal with either one of the two carriers[AT&T-Verizon] you'll get an LTE signal. Not worth dealing with the hassle of switching just for a short-term signal boost.
  3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2010
    No anywhere you get a 3G signal with Verizon you'll have LTE. AT&T is behind
  4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Aug 27, 2011
    My apologies. AT&T states 'largly complete' by 2013. So again basically anywhere you got a 3G signal you'll get an LTE signal.
  5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Mar 16, 2012
    AT&T will be lucky if they get 75% of their LTE completion done by 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon does it sooner than the end of 2013.
  6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Aug 27, 2011
    I'd love to see the research behind your statistic. Verizon is aggressively building out their LTE network because that's their only way out of the hole they dug themselves into. AT&T rolled out HSPA+ to nearly all of their entire 3G footprint before working on the now mobilized LTE expansion. There's still a lot of markets that have no Verizon LTE, but do have AT&T HSPA+ overlaying including my own area. Coincidentally AT&T LTE is also covering part of my town while Verizon LTE is no where to be seen unless you zoom out enough.
  7. jav6454 macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    However, AT&T holds a tactical advantage over Verizon's LTE plans. Where as with Verizon once LTE drops and you fall on slow 3.1Mb/s (theoretical) EV-DO, with AT&T, once you fall off LTE, you fallback to a speedier HSPA+ (14.4 Mb/s) network which is almost the entirety of AT&T's 3G footprint and you still get access to HSPA network where HSPA+ upgrades are still not ready (7.2Mb/s).

I must say, AT&T has a nice advantage here. However, they still better hurry up and not use it as an excuse.