Verizon Family Plan - Upgrade and keep unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guywhoisweird, Sep 10, 2012.

1. guywhoisweird macrumors newbie

Here's my situation. I'm on a family share plan, and 2 of us have iPhones. The two of us also have unlimited data. The other 2 have dumbphones. If the 2 dumbphones upgrade to a smartphone, and then transfer the phones to the 2 of us with iPhones, will we be able to keep the unlimited plan?

Also, does anybody know if upgrading from a 3G unlimited to 4G unlimited is possible? Does the plan automatically change with the 4G phone?

2. andross77 macrumors regular

Sorry i can't help but i'm very interested to know the answer. So if you could update the thread once you actually do it, can you please let us know? :) I upgraded from the iPhone 4S to the Pantech Breakout (and then the Samsung Galaxy S3) partially because I wanted to make sure there was "4G internet" on my account before they changed the upgrade rules.

I think I have heard of people going from 3g to 4g phones after the change though just fine so hopefully that's the case :)

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

That is correct. Upgrade the dumb line and do the swap on my verizon. Once the swap is completed you will be paying $10 on the dumb line. Just remove the data plan on th dumb line and your good to go. Remember the contact is renewed on the line you use to make the phone purchase. Not the line that I operating the new phone.

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

As long as they still offer the option to just add the grandfathered data package to your grandfathered plan, and, as long as once you put the dumbphone esn back on the dumbphone line they still allow you to remove the data package, you're golden.

5. risk235 macrumors member

I'm kind of in a similar situation. I have 3 lines.
    Line 1-iPhone
    Line 2-iPhone
    Line 3-dumb phone

Line 2 is eligible for an upgrade. I plan to transfer my upgrade to line 3 to get the new iPhone then move it to line 1 and line 3 back to dumb phone. The only thing I'm worried about if either line 1 or 2 will lose unlimited data.

6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So I can activate my dumb phone on new line (without a contract) and upgrade that line, then switch the new iPhone on my unlimited plan?

7. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Yes that is correct. You will still have to pay upgrade fee and activation fee, but other than that... you are good to go.

8. guywhoisweird thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do! See also the post from mac.cali, hopefully his advice is correct!

Thank you! I hope this works!

9. guywhoisweird thread starter macrumors newbie

So I now have an iPhone 5. It was very easy, I didn't lose my unlimited data. I bought my iPhone as an upgrade for another member of my family. When I got the phone, I called Verizon and they transferred the upgrade to me. I didn't activate the iPhone until they told me to do so. No extra smartphone charge at all, everything was free. Hope this helps!

10. andross77 macrumors regular

cool! thanks for letting me know!