Verizon found me a loophole to get an Iphone 5. Please read with your thoughts...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I was on the phone with a guy from Verizon or not and we were going over different scenarios on how I could get the Iphone at a discounted price, even though I am not elgible for an upgrade until June. He went through different websites for me for trade-in's and etc and he said that was all he could think of.

And then he said "It hit me, oh my gosh, you said you had a Verizon Ipad right? Well open up a new line for the iphone 5, and then you can do the 10 dollars a month for the ipad on your existing line. As long as all three lines are tied up it is fine". Is this true? He told me he was 100% on this and that others have done it. If that is the case I am going to pick up my brand new iphone 5 tomorrow!

Also, can I get trade in value for my 4s in store? This guy was trying to talk me into doing it through him, but it sounds like it would be less of a hassle to do it in-store. He said I could do it in-store, but he didn't think any store would have any. What do you all think?

2. kornberg macrumors member

I was just thinking about this....interesting.

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. crobbins macrumors 6502

If you're fine with your iPad being on your account for 2 years, it will work, yes.

5. scootaru macrumors 6502

All three lines? How many lines do you have? What exactly would the iPad tied to?

6. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My girlfriend is on my line as well. I will be opening a third line I get iPhone and putting iPad on my current line.

7. scootaru macrumors 6502

Seems like it should work. I'm assuming you have the Share Everything plan?

8. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I know nothing about Verizon but what you're describing works just fine with AT&T.

10. scootaru macrumors 6502

I'm surprised they would allow this. This is like the loophole with the tiered data plan where you can add a line to get the subsidized price and then put a basic phone on that line and cancel the data plan.

In essence, you will be replacing a $40/month device with a $10/month device. Your bill will only increase $240 over two years, but you are saving $450 on the subsidy.

Do it if you can.

11. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will they take my 4s for trade in credit in store?

12. scootaru macrumors 6502

Yes, but it won't be worth much. $250 at most for the 64GB. You can sell it on eBay for more. You could probably get more on Craigslist, but I tend to shy away from selling expensive gadgets on CL.

13. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read on Verizon's site that I can get $230 in store credit for my white 16gb. I know best buy gives 260. I didn't preorder so I don't know whether I should go to best buy or Verizon for opening in the morning.

14. nikster0029 Contributor

nikster0029

YESS!!

Thank you!

I have 5 lines + 3 ipads and it works perfectly. now we have a two year contract of the line for 2 years so... your choice. not really a win if you do early upgrade.

Confirmed by me.

15. kornberg, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

kornberg macrumors member

What is the process to add a tablet to your plan?
    Do 4g tablets have meid's or imei like phones do?

Thanks in advance.

*just confirmed, please disregard.

16. M87 macrumors 65816

This is what I did. The funny thing is I wanted to put the iPad on my plan anyway last month and at the same time I was stressing out thinking I would have to get the 5 unsubsidized. The Verizon rep pointed this out and it made my day. It's one of the rare times when things just work out perfectly.

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I did this with AT&T last year for the iPhone 4S. I have an iPad line and that line was eligible to upgrade so I used it to grab the 4S and signed up for a 2 year deal on that line. It's actually up for early upgrade now which I will probably use to cop the 5 next month when my entire family is eligible to upgrade.

18. kornberg macrumors member

I've used this method with a dummy MEID from a broken tablet.